Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
A few weeks ago Rich Emmons of the Precision Rifle Series posted some data about what the top 50 competitors brought with them to the most recent series finale match. It was a really good set of data, so I asked Rich if I could analyze the data and try to see if I could find trends and also try to present it visually. This is one of my favorite forums, so I wanted to share some of the highlights of what I found here. I thought you guys might find it as interesting as I did.

First, if you're like me ... you might not be real sure what the PRS is. Let me try to give you the elevator speech about it so you'll better understand what the charts below are based on.

The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) is a championship style point series race based on the best precision rifle matches nationwide. Scores are tracked throughout the year to rank shooters from across the country. Most matches are based on practical, tactical, or sniper competition formats with targets up to 1200 yards out. PRS matches are recognized as the major league of rifle matches, offering the most challenging and competitive events with each match drawing shooters from all over the nation.

At the end of each season, there is a PRS Finale match where the best of the best compete head to head. Shooters ranked in the top 50 nationwide are invited to a match at the K&M Precision Rifle Training Facility in Florida for one last bang. The info below is based on the equipment those pros brought with them to the 2013 finale. This is a great set of data, because 50 shooters is a significant sample size and this particular group are also considered experts among experts.

Long-Range Precision Rifle Scopes: What The Pro's Use

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are the highlights of what I found related to optics. I wrote a post that includes a few other charts, along with links to the most popular scope models, and a list of every reticle with images for easy side-by-side comparison. To view the full post related to optics, visit: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/12/best-long-range-scopes-what-the-pros-use/

I also did another post on calibers & cartridges if you're interested. It's at http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/07/rifle-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/. Hope you guys find this as helpful as I did.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wonder if this really means anything. Matthews Archery dominated 3D shooting for a long time. Reason? They gave every serious competitor that wanted one a new bow, and a LOT of sponsorships. Think NY Yankees.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My only experience with [bleep] & Bendover scopes (that's what a Marine Gunny sniper legend I met called them) was the ones issued to the USMC. Most of them wouldn't track for [bleep].

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I wonder if this really means anything. Matthews Archery dominated 3D shooting for a long time. Reason? They gave every serious competitor that wanted one a new bow, and a LOT of sponsorships. Think NY Yankees.

Great point ... you could be certainly right. But keep in mind not all of these guys are sponsored. At least some of them are just normal Joe's that had to pull out their wallet to buy their equipment. I don't know what percent of the competitors that is. Regardless of whether they had to pay retail or not, they were able to compete at the highest level with this equipment ... so there still is something to it. The NY Yankees wouldn't use crappy gloves even if a manufacturer offered them a great marketing deal. Serious competitors are usually very stubborn when it comes to performance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Schmidt Bender PMII has tracked with complete precision out to a mile this year. The optics are superior to anything else I have looked through.
That mile was an attempt to shoot a marmot. At top magnification of 16X I did not expect to be able to see them at a mile, much less see them well enough for accurate shooting.
Alas, my longest whistle pig of the year was 1402 yards.

I would have expected a better showing from Nightforce though.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to see the military sniper choices also rather than the casual shooter/hunter survey.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I'd like to see the military sniper choices also rather than the casual shooter/hunter survey.

Marines bought S&B. SEALS bought Night Force. Army is still buying Leupold but some SOCOM units have bought other scopes, I'm told.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cobrad
I would have expected a better showing from Nightforce though.

I would too.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
PrecisionRifleBlog,

Regardless of whether they had to pay retail or not, they were able to compete at the highest level with this equipment ... so there still is something to it.

This is a good argument. So far I have not been able to play with a S&B to compare with my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 for brightness and resolving ability. No scope at the range has been better than this one; except my Nightforce 12-42X56. I could not check tracking with someone else's toy without shooting or taking the scope off and installing it in Bob's fixture; so I will have to take your word for it. And I don't doubt you here.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The T/C Encore appears to dominate the 'professional' hunters. Nothing like a T/C one shot smackdown.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The T/C Encore appears to dominate the 'professional' hunters. Nothing like a T/C one shot smackdown.

Yep - when I'm looking to put the hurt and or crush on a big freak nasty, I grab my Bone Collector TC Encore because it's the only one that does what I need it to do.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yet there's no consensus on which seed to plant....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I only care about what I use.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a number of nice scopes on my rifles (Benders and Swarovskis and by far the best are my March scopes. They are expensive (close to 3k) but a fantastic scope. I presently have two 10x60x52s http://marchscopes.com/

Last edited by andrews1958; 09/15/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my life will only be complete when I see a hunter carrying a suppressed H&R Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout, sporting a $4000 Schmidt and Bender.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yep, that will be the day ! E

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have a hard time understanding the MIL vs MOA discussions. I've been using both lately and I don't see what the big [bleep]' deal is? They both work fine.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
I have a hard time understanding the MIL vs MOA discussions. I've been using both lately and I don't see what the big [bleep]' deal is? They both work fine.

Travis

Both work fine even tho most don't have any idea how they are supposed to work. They are designed for Human Targets anyway . Just shoot them at different distant and see how they corresponded to your rifle and load and then go hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

I not entirely sure I am tracking, but the PRS is far, far from a "casual shooter/hunter" demographic. The PRS is pretty much the Olympic level of precision "tactical" style shooting.

Further, I would put more stock in what those who have a choice choose than a list of what is issued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,965
Posts18,480,612
Members73,958
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.