Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krupp
28 years, 2 grown daughters and a 2 year old granddaughter.
Happy wife, Happy life.

I just wish my bi-polar in-laws would drop dead.

I think in-laws can be a big part of the ease of a marriage. I have wonderful in-laws, my MIL is my other emergency contact after my wife, I speak to my brother in law about once a week, we have different hobbies and interests but a great "brother" relationship.
My wife has rough in-laws (my folks) the tend to be a little overbearing, they mean well but..., I speak to my sister about 1 a month at best and my wife and my sister speak when they see each other once a year or so.

If my inlaws moved in with us, dinner would be ready every day, we would fight over the TV remote and the dog would lose his bedroom, if my folks moved in my marriage would be over and i might just lose my mind.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good marriage pretty much depends on who you decide to marry.

I lived with my wife(in sin...) for several years before we both decided the other wasn't crazy and then we got married.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heathen!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the same thing as Sam, co-habitated for 2 yrs, "I'm not gonna marry a man until I see how he reacts when he's mad!", so she said. Fallout from her 1st marriage.

10 yrs, we've never had a fight. Both of us did enough of that the 1st time around. If I could clone her I'd never work again.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing better than to be married to a good woman and nothing worst to be married to bad mean one

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read the following on this board a good while back. I don't remember which member here said it, but I thought it made a lot of sense and I remembered it ---

"...being married is like digging for diamonds in a pile of gravel.....only to discover that the gravel itself was the treasure all along!"

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been happily married for 2 years, the other 27 have been hell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yep. Know what you expect in a marriage and then choose wisely.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1.5 years of marriage. We have a 5 mo daughter. Couldn't be happier. Marriage to the right person is great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I never married. Almost wish I never dated.

Sam Kinison, where are you?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gonehuntin;
Well sir you've certainly asked an interesting question and have thus far received some equally interesting answers.

A young lady at work asked me one day if marriage was always "this much work" and more or less here was my reply.

When I was a kid I dreamed of someday riding horses in the mountains and hunting off of them. Now please understand that I'd never seen a mountain in my life at that point, but that's what I wanted to do.

In the fullness of time as they say, my good wife and I moved first to BC, then to our own chunk of acreage and then proceeded to get our own horses.

For the entire time the horses were in our lives I got up every morning before work or even going hunting in fall and fed and watered them.

After work I'd feed and water them again, check their hooves and just fool with them a bit so they stayed used to me and then I'd fork some manure.

Over the 17 years we had the horses I forked enough manure that I really should be considering a career in politics, but I never once considered it work.

As long as I expected those glorious fall mornings chasing mulies from the back of our Appy mare, I knew that the daily chores had to be done and by doing them I was most blessed in that I got to fulfill those childhood dreams many times over.

At no time did I ever expect our horses to be able to open the gate themselves, flake off the right amount of hay for themselves or figure out how to run the hydrant to fill their water tank. As long as I had them I knew that was my end of the equation.

Marriage is kinda like having horses in your life in that it's going to need the chores done daily in order to work right.

The folks that I know who have successful marriages have found partners that they like doing the chores with and don't consider it work.

Hopefully that all made sense to you sir and all the best to you whichever way this turns out.

I've just proof read this and see I've neglected to mention that in a month and couple weeks we'll be married 31 years. I don't recall us raising our voices to each other more than a handful of times in those years either, so by most folks' standards we've done OK that way.

Again all the best to you sir and good luck on your hunts this fall too.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been involved in my own good marriage for 27 years, and participated in dissolving about 500 of them. I think I have heard just about every story in the book as to why marriages might fail, but when you really break most of these stories down, it usually comes down to 1 of 3 things.

1. a lack of safety
2. a lack of respect
3. a lack of desire

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I lived with my wife(in sin...) for several years before we both decided the other wasn't crazy and then we got married.

my wife and i had the same view, we lived together for 3 years before getting married.....knew we could get along and stick together through the good and the bad...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
We will celebrate 42 years next month It has never been work.

We have always been on the same wavelength when it comes to religion, money, career, child-raising, politics, etc. I can only remember two or three spats in all that time.

After I first met her parents (who are challenging, to be kind), she asked me what I thought of them. I replied, "I don't see a thing wrong with your folks that five hundred miles won't cure."

She liked that answer.

Consequently, we have always lived a long way from both of our families, and that has been a very good thing for our marriage.

We called all the shots and took total responsibility for our choices.

Acted like grownups, in other words.

And we have always been absolutely faithful to each other. No hanky panky at all, ever, not even flirting with anyone else.

It has been a winning formula!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Your marriage is the most important relationship in your life.
It takes work and maintence every day. But when it's a labor of love, it's doesn't have to feel like work.

I've always have seen the secret is to always make your spouse important to you... when you first get married it is easy, because she is important to you... but as the relationship grows longer in time, many become complacent..

I always make sure to let my wife know that she is important to me every single day, and a lot more than once...

and I make myself focus on her being important to me..

I learned all of that as a young man working as a nurse in hospitals.. and watching seniors in their final years.. some argued like crazy and some acted like teenagers in love for the first time after 50 years of marriage...

bottom line secret, was they lived their lives, like teenagers in love for the first time... for 50 years.. making the other always know how important they were to them...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I know lots of you have good/great marriages. To you, I ask if it came easy or did you have to put in work/maintenance in the marriage no matter how well you get along??

EASY to 'get' married... Lot's of work to 'stay' married... With the right person - it's more than worthwhile.. With the wrong person - it's hell on earth..

BTDT...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler

my wife and i had the same view, we lived together for 3 years before getting married.....knew we could get along and stick together through the good and the bad...
The divorce rate for those who live together is as high or higher than for those who don't. The theory sounds good but it doesn't work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been married for well over 20 years now, and every day has it's challenges and pitfalls. Fidelity has never been an issue for us, and we are still very much in love. That being said, any 2 people have different views on things, us included, which is where the heavy lifting in a relationship comes into play. I'm about as die hard republican conservative as they come, and she's a yellow dog democrat, so our political views are a constant opportunity. Nothing good every comes without hard work, including marriage. If you think it's all just going to be 100% perfect from day 1 to the end of time you're in for a very rude awakening.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Steelhead nailed it. Love is a choice!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've seen three marriages end recently due to cheating. Having talked to both parties in all three marriages - I would suggest finding someone with the same sexual drive that you have. Apparently when one partner wants it all the time, and the other couldn't care less about intimacy, bad things result.

----------
Hunting is my religion
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.