Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And your point is?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know what it is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have already listed a number of folks here that were present when a fair number of these incidents occurred. Most do not need to be embarrassed by being named a second time...

If you are insinuating that ANY of these have been manufactured or aggrandized let me know and I have some special instructions for you...

Before you show your stupidity you may want to cruise back through the years at the photos I have posted of several "frozen" A-Bort triggers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look up JJ Hack's posts while you are at it. When he guided in SE AK he had similar problems with them and he showed a few photos, too. You need to go back some years for that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re boat paddle stock - I was kidding on that part. It was horrible.
The Bbl/action is pretty bullet proof.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While I like most things about the 77 that angled forward action screw leaves me scratching my head... It is a PITA when restocking...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Mind telling us why Mr. Rebel?

Facts please.

Based off of numerous reviews from others...

Brownings do have the best reputation for using quality metal internals, triggers and springs. I'm not a fan of the older A-Bolt hinged magazine design. To be fair here, the new X-Bolt has improved a few of the issues over the A-Bolt.

Got to believe you left out a critical word... Brownings do NOT have the best reputation for using quality metal internals... Matter of fact they have the worst of any firearm I have ever dealt with.

With a small fraction of my total field experience with rifles based on Browning A-Borts I have seen more in-field failures with them than all others combined! You can even throw in a ton of time afield with shotguns and I have seen quite a few of them fail... but even that does not come close to my personal, direct A-Bort failure experience.

And I have nothing against Brownings in general and have or had quite a few other models of shotguns, handguns, and rifles. I suspect J M Browning is rolling in his grave over having that POS A-Bort wear his name... Oh, I also own and have used an A-Bort quite a bit. I even killed a Kodiak brown bear with one.

In May of '12 a friend was using one on Kodiak and it failed because the trigger rusted to a "frozen" position... As an example of the last time I was afield near an A-Bort.

I have exactly no experience with the X-Bort...

Yes sir, you are correct. I had a typo.

I corrected my post.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitka,

I just ain't seeing it here.

Neither are others from different locales it seems.

If you want to compare apples to apples...

I can go dig up several hundred posts regarding Remington, Kimber & New Haven Winchester failures and problems...

So, using your own measuring stick, the Brownings have been pretty reliable in comparison.

I've had to many of them get soaked and fire over the last 30 years to believe it's a chronic problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Apples to apples would imply there are as many A-Bolts in use as Remingtons, for example... You know that ain't happenin'.

All I am reporting is my personal anecdotal history with A-Borts on hunts I was involved in. They represent a tiny share of the total, but a huge percentage of failures in my very direct experience.

They get subjected to conditions a lot harsher than most and fail regularly. If they were sitting in a box blind over a TX feeder they would likely run forever.

With all the internet posts about broken bolt handles and extractors on 700s one would guess I should have seen one by now on one of my personal guns... I haven't.

Your anecdotes are very different from mine both in conditions and results. I think there is a connection.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! you have convinced Me Sitka, I'll never own another POS Browning rifle! now can we move on with our lives?.......Grin............Hb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are more Brownings out there than Kimbers and if you broke down the percentages with Remington, I'm betting my previous point will still stand.

Living on the Mississippi river, I've done quite a bit of hunting where we traveled by boat. Rains a lot down here as well.

We've got these things called swamps that are pretty wet as well and you and your rifle tend to get soaked when wading through knee deep water when recovering animals.

Attributing an across the board flaw to the rifle is a mistake. We all have our own personal experiences that form our opinions.

But,

- You're not the only person that has hunted in "harsh" conditions.

- You have no idea what the rifles were subjected to and what kind of maintenance was performed on the rifles in question previous to the hunts.

- I would start shooting pigs in early sept., deer until late January and yotes into march, so the guns I've used aren't hunted for 4-6 days then packed up until next year. They're run for months at a time and subjected to everything but long freezing temps.

- Over the last 30 years, I've probably had a dozen or so of these rifles end up with wet internals for days at time. I never had a failure because of a rusted trigger.

- I know a lot of people whom I've hunted with, that use these rifles in the same conditions I have and have never had the problems you describe.

I'm sure it can happen and has happened, my considerable experience with the rifle tells me it's not the across the board, chronic condition you suggest.

And a little reasonable, routine maintenance can prevent what you describe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the salt spray comes from where?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know much about Tikka's but a close friend had a 223 that was a tack driver...until the trigger group just fell apart after about 500 rounds.

That was enough for me. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaskans are rifle experts. All of them.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You said salt water wasn't the cause remember? From your earlier post on the subject...

I have seen many with excess corrosion without being around saltwater.

So now, salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't... whistle

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You said salt water wasn't the cause remember? From your earlier post on the subject...

So now salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't? whistle

Ouch!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So now, salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't... whistle

I should have been more clear on that. My personal experience with failures have all been around saltwater. I have been shown quite a few the owners claimed had not been around salt that were also seriously corroded on the wire trigger link.

I believe the issue is a function of dissimilar metals of questionable specification and I know being around saltwater would speed the process.

The one that failed in the spring of last year down in Kodiak had not been out of the boat cabin before it was found inoperable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So now salt spray is the culprit after it wasn't? whistle

Ouch!

Uncle Rico
Don't you have a group that needs boring to tears with your tales of baseball "prowess"?
art

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in '82, I could throw an a-bolt a quarter mile.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Techsan
Back in '82, I could throw an a-bolt a quarter mile.

LMAO!!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 13,010 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,964
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.