Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tjs011 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just picked up my first bolt gun and I'm excited to get it rigged up for opening day. I was invited on a deer hunt so that was my main excuse to add another gun to the safe. I usually shoot things with feathers, so I am quick to admit that I have a lot to learn when it comes to setting up a suitable hunting rifle. My only other rifle (besides a couple .22LRs) is DD M4V5 in 300 BLK, with Leupold 1.5-4x20 VX-R.

The main goal of this gun is a lightweight deer rifle that's easily handled in a box blind and can provide versatility taking TX big game. The place I will be hunting this year will offer shots up to a MAX of 150 yards, however, I do want to learn how to be effective out to the ballistic limits of the 7mm-08. Therefore, I would like the scope not to limit me, if for example, a few years from now I needed to shoot out to 300+ yards. Obviously lowlight performance is a factor hunting deer at dusk/dawn.

Do you have any suggestions on selecting a scope based on the info above? I've done a little research on the Nikon ProStaff and the new ProStaff 5. 3-9x40, 4-12x40, 3.5-14x40. I'm curious about other offerings that you have had experience within this price range. Thanks!

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
A used Leupold 2.5-8 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9 would fit your budget and handle what you've outlined.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been pleased with the new redfield as well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
A used Leupold 2.5-8 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9 would fit your budget and handle what you've outlined.

What he said...2.4-8s is what I use. Usually find one in the $250-$300 range used in good shape

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you want a spankin new scope, I'm very impressed by the glass in the new VX-2's. either a 2-7x or a 3-9x variety would fit the bill for that rifle. and the price is right.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DBLTAP
Been pleased with the new redfield as well

I also like the new Redfield. The VX-2's are brighter, however.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
tjs011 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the feedback so far! That was quick..

I am kind of leaning towards somehting new. Typically the big box stores are never my first choice, but I've been sitting on some gift cards to Bass Pro for a while. I was thinking about using them... Although better prices are easily found online...

So for this rifle, the consensus is stick with 3-9 magnification or less, rather than 4-12 or 3.5-14?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd go with the Leupold VX-2 2x7x33. Having had a couple FW anything more make the rifle unbalanced for me.

If you want something more the VX-3 2.5-8x36 is only slightly larger. Another option would be the VX-3 1.75-6x32. Both are about $50 out of your price range though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tjs011

I am kind of leaning towards somehting new. Typically the big box stores are never my first choice, but I've been sitting on some gift cards to Bass Pro for a while. I was thinking about using them... Although better prices are easily found online...

So for this rifle, the consensus is stick with 3-9 magnification or less, rather than 4-12 or 3.5-14?

Yes.

You want to keep the package handy and trim, and 9x is more than enough for shooting game at 300+ yards. I shoot 2" and smaller groups at 300 yards all the time with 6x scopes.

I just installed a current issue Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 on a friend's rifle. This model is fully multicoated, has "no coin necessary" click adjustment dials, and is relatively light. It also opens the door to the Leupold custom shop if you "get into it" later and want a custom reticle, target or tactical adjustment turrets and so on. For $230 and free shipping from Midway it's a pretty good deal.

Oops, I forgot about the Bass Pro cards.

Last edited by mathman; 09/24/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look SWFA's Sample List for some bargains...sometimes. NY CameraLand is another good resource for Sample/Demo scopes.

+1 on the 3x9x40 Conquest, simple Duplex Crosshair IMO is adequate with that caliber out to 300 yards. Buy the best glass & WARRANTY you can find. I've been running Burris FF II's on several rifles for years, had good service out of the Warranty Shop with quick turnarounds and would be my buy in the $200 range.
Cheers
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just did a search, and found the Nikon Monarch, 4-16x42 BDC
on sale right now at Cabelas, for $309. online only.
That is a very good price on one of their biggest sellers.

The Monarch scope is Nikons best, and I bought one last
year and mounted it on my 25-06. A very nice scope
and I paid a lot more than that last year.

Note, I am not connected to Cabelas, but they send me
catalogs each week, and I do buy there.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by tjs011

Yes.

You want to keep the package handy and trim, and 9x is more than enough for shooting game at 300+ yards. I shoot 2" and smaller groups at 300 yards all the time with 6x scopes.

I just installed a current issue Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 on a friend's rifle. This model is fully multicoated, has "no coin necessary" click adjustment dials, and is relatively light. It also opens the door to the Leupold custom shop if you "get into it" later and want a custom reticle, target or tactical adjustment turrets and so on. For $230 and free shipping from Midway it's a pretty good deal.

Oops, I forgot about the Bass Pro cards.

Completely agree with the new VX-1. I like the LRD reticle but for shots out to 300 the standard duplex would be fine. Good value in my opinion.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a Nikon pro-staff in 2-7 on my 308. It'll handle any shot out to beyond 300 yds. It's not the scope, it's the shooter and knowing how to shoot. This past July/August, we were in RSA, and used that combination to good effect, taking 4 animals, 3 with one shot each, and one needed a follow up at 225 yds, due to first bullet hitting too low. If you look at it this way, 7 divided into nine, makes the target appear to be about a 130 yds away. Back in the 30s and 40s, they didn't even have scopes that would "go to" 9x, and Jack O'Connor, for one, was fond of saying, if it's too far away to shoot at with a 4x scope, it's too far away to shoot at, period. You've said you're probably going to he shooting at a 150 yds or less, a lot of the time, and the 7x plenty at that range. At least for me. One problem I ,and I'll bet most people who have variables have, is remembering to turn the power up, or down, as the case may be, when they need it. I've even done that sitting at the bench testing loads, and suddenly discovered, that bull looks awfully small, then realize I'm still on 2-3X. I would, in some ways, prefer to have a better quality scope than the Nikon pro-staff, but had to buy it on the quick, as was 3 days from leaving for Africa when I bought it. If you can afford a Leupold in 1-4 or 1.5-5 or thereabouts, that would be great too. BTW, after coming back from Africa, I took the 50 year old Leupold I had to leave here, and sent it back, and they fixed it, no sweat, no arguments, no charge, and had it back in a week. That's customer service.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I done a fair amount of hunting with a 7mm-08 back when it was introduced. killed every deer I shot at with a Weaver K-3 3x scope. Now I would suggest either a leupold Fixed 4x or 6x. I lean toward the fix 6x its all I use for a sight these days except for an aimpoint I have on a Remington 760.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have Zeiss Conquest's and VX-3's. Leupold upgraded their entire lineup in 2011. Buying a current production VX-2 gives you the same glass and coatings as a 2010 or older VX-3, for about $300. The current VX-1 is essentially a 2010 VX-2, but for about $200. I bought a 3-9X40 VX-2 about 1 1/2 years ago. Paid $330 to get the long range reticle and it is every bit the equal of the $400 VX-3 and $500 Conquest I have on other rifles.

Even though I can afford more expensive scopes I just cannot see me ever needing more than the current VX-2.

In the $200 price range I'll give a strong 2nd to the Burris FF-II. A very good scope for the money.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.