Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Phil99 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Billy336's photos of his beautiful Florida deer camp got me thinking that it would be good to have a thread to show the camps where our old 99s get to breathe a little fresh air in the fall. So I hope you guys will post a few pictures of the cabins, shacks, and tents that you use in the fall, and hopefully with a couple of Savages in the gun rack.

Here's mine, a little cabin in northern Newaygo County, MI. I've got 40 acres there, and it butts up to several square miles of the Manistee National Forest. We built this in 1996, after camping on the property for a few years before that.

[Linked Image]

4000 board feet of tongue and groove red pine on the inside walls. Thank God for that nail-gun.
[Linked Image]

Here's the kitchen. We built the cabinets over one winter, using our full range of profanity. Most of the blood-stains cleaned up OK.
[Linked Image]

My boys with what we refer to as "The World's Finest Outhouse." We've got inside plumbing now, but it's still nice to have the outhouse as an extra bathroom. Check out my door handle.
[Linked Image]

My buddy Tom drinking coffee on the porch--or is he hunting? It all depends on whether a deer comes by.
[Linked Image]

OK, here's the gun rack.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Last edited by Phil99; 09/22/13.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's nice -
I can see the hard work y'all put into that cabin - love the out house

congratulations

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice. Heck, I could live there full time- no sweat!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't find tongue and groove red pine in KS. Don't find many hunting cabins, either. No National Forests to back up to. You do find a few out houses and rock'n chairs. smile

Love the cabinets. Yea, I could spend a lot of time there but would need a much bigger gun rack. grin

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm jealous. Still sleep in my truck most trips. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I guess that's what you would call "Field of Dreams". Very nice place. Does suckin up from a fellow Michigander weasel an invite? grin

By the way, you forgot to put winders in the blind, oh I meant the outhouse. wink

Last edited by oldotter; 09/22/13.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Oregon it would be an RV of some kind on public forest lands. Boy that sure is a nice camp! Nicer than my house!! smile

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rod, that is a classy deer camp. I really admire the kitchen.

My log cabin is a similar style on the outside. Gable roof with a front porch roof. Building foot print is 16'x20'. Why 16'x20'? That is the foundation dimension of the original log house that my Great-great Grandfather built on the farm before the Civil War. Interior is one open room, cathedral ceiling and a 9'x16' loft.

[Linked Image]

Heat source

[Linked Image]

Outdoor plumbing (outhouse and spring water)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bath house
[Linked Image]

Savage 99A
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Both are amazing

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very nice to all thank you for sharing!!!

IC B3

Phil99 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful place Roundoak. That's great to have it in the footprint of your great-great-grandfather's cabin. Thanks for posting these.

Rod

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Adirondack deer camp where I cut my deer hunting teeth. This is where I spotted my first 1899's/99's. Many of the old timers carried them and swore by them. Many hunting stories were told here by them as well as many WW I and WW II stories. I have a ton of old family pics, but have never gotten around to scanning them. I have to do it before they are lost to history.

My family (Ross's) where partial to Remington model 8's however. My grandfather and his brothers guided many foreign dignitaries from Poland, Russia, Germany and Austria, in the 20's and 30's, when the Adirondacks where the last place to go in the world to find decent whitetail hunting. That is me just shy of my 50th birthday with my great uncle's 1908 model 8 in 35 Rem. The gun I killed my first buck with, a giant Adirondack 8 pt. The men I was with cut slits through his back legs at the Achilles and slipped his front legs through the slits and tied them off making a "pack" out of the deer. They took turns carry him one at a time on their backs many, many miles the rest off the day while we continued hunting. The gutted deer was weighed when we got out of the woods about a week later at 187 lbs. So I am sure he was over 200 lbs when they were busting him out on their backs in that tough terrain. They don't make many men like that any more myself included. On the tough scale of 1-10, if I am a 5, they were 11's. Those men, and those days are gone forever, but I still have the guns to remember them by.

Savages are a recently acquired taste of the Ross clan, myself, my father and his brothers included. Better late than never. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Miller time in the Adirondacks and heart & liver for lunch!![img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Phil99 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
These pictures make me wish it was November. Thanks.

Rod

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.Hey Sqweeler:
. Is that a Mannlicher 99? .If so, what caliber ???

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

. Is that a Mannlicher 99? .If so, what caliber ???
When I saw that picture I was thinking it looked a lot like my ruger m77 RSI. By the way that picture looks like some good times!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
It's a old (real old) custom Mauser 7x57.That's Miami Steve,killed 3 Adirondack 8pt from the same stand,same day many moon's ago in Tupper Lake!!

Last edited by sqweeler; 09/24/13.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
None of that fancy cabin camping here.

[Linked Image]

Phil99 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't want a roof to cover up a view like that. NICE!

Rod

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's the addition we put on the old trailer last year. Going up this weekend to wire and insulate it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

View out my front door.

[Linked Image]

My uncles trailer next door. That's me on the left and my Elementary school buddy, still hunt and fish together.

[Linked Image]

This is my Dad and me.

[Linked Image]

This is my uncle and his SIL, my uncle used a 99 in 308. My uncle gave his SIL a 99 in 300, and when he divorced my cousin, he had the nerve to keep the gun, Joe.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 09/26/13.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.