Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1. Got a groove diameter of 0.543 in my ML. Pure lead maxi balls are being cast right at 0.543, making it a little hard to load. Any techniques, other than getting a custom sizer, that I can use to get those to shrink down a wee bit. I like the tight fit, but if I can do anything procedurally to come down a few thousandths, it would help.

2. Using beeswax in the grooves, reduced with mineral spirits. I pile it on, then push the bullet through a hole drilled in soft pine to clean it up, leaving the wax at the groove diameter, but after a day, it hardens up some and has shrunk. I suppose I can pack it down again, or wait till it hardens before running it through the hole, but is there anything I can do to the wax to reduce the shrinkage?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A friend who is a machinist would be your best friend at this point. Find someone who can make you a steel sizing die that will squeeze your bullets down a couple of thousandths. Nothing fancy is needed- just something you can push/tap the bullet through. A simple (but accurate) hole in a piece of steel will suffice. (I did that once to size down mini� balls for a particular Parker-Hale Enfield.) I don't see an alternative, unless you get a mold that casts the diameter you want.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are no easy ways to make a mold cast a smaller dia, so your best option is to size the bullets. I'd suggest getting a lee push through sizer in .510" and have a machinist bore it and lap it to whatever dia you choose.

Not sure what to do about the wax shrinkage, perhaps try a different lube?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
get two steel flat plates and roll your bullet between them applying pressure you should be able to reduce it by a .001 or so easy enough.

as far as the beeswax, add some vasoline to the melted beeswax and it will make it softer and less shrinkage

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RWE, pure lead has the highest percentage of shrinkage as compared to other alloys. It might hurt not hurt to run your balls thru a sizer, but when all is said and done it might be more difficult to keep them aligned in the same axis they were sized in....dunno.

Thinking Hornady makes some swagged balls that are .540, not sure about that.

Oh...you said "Maxi" balls....sorry.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/27/13.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shrinkage.... That was the excuse I gave my girlfriend the other day after a pool party.

Oh, that's not what we're talking about...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (2UP, 160user, 06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 24 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,179
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.