Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,191 of 1,842 1 2 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1841 1842
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dave, let your wild asparagus grow and go to seed and dry up...clean up the debris in the spring. Sprinkle some rock salt around it before winter...and before it comes up in the spring give it some 19-19-19 fertilizer....moderate amount. It doesn't take much from the ground. I swear the salt makes it more tender.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ok, so right now I've got old woody dry stalks with this years green stalks sprouting up through the old dry stuff.

A lot of the green plants now have the red berry looking... seeds? on them. Should I just let it be for a while yet? wait for this years green plants to die before doing anything?

These are at the edges of my tree lines in some tall grass and weeds. I don't know that anybody has ever noticed or messed with them before.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wouldn't even have known what that was. I'd probably have hit with the weed whacker!

I had a crazy idea this morning. I was thinking of getting my gear ready for deer season in the next few weeks. I've never done this before. Can anyone give me any tips? I don't need tips on how to do it...I'm good at that. I'm ususally doing it at 4am the friday before deer season.

I'm looking for tips on what to do for the month after I have my gear ready? Usually I'm starring at it, trying to get it into pile tele-conneticlly, without actually touching the gear until the day before the season. In 24 years, I've yet to see that work.

Like I said, any tips will be appreciated.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
what mix did you go with Jim?

In the center of the plot I went with Hunters Specialties Vita Rack E-Z Grow and around the perimeter I went with Bio-Logic Hot Spot. PM me your email addy Ryan and I'll send you some pics. I'm extremely pleased with how this stuff came up and the activity I'm getting on camera!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Wild asparagus, growing on the new property, pretty happy to find it.

[Linked Image]

I like my seasonal treats from nature, I wont have the high bush cranberries anymore like I had on the old place but the asparagus is a nice trade.

Any ideas on what I can do to make it do better in the spring? Cut it off at the ground, pluck the old dead stalks?

Mmmm asaparagus soaked in salt water and then wrapped in bacon and grilled along with a fine T-bone. It don't get much better!

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/25/13.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone

I had a crazy idea this morning. I was thinking of getting my gear ready for deer season in the next few weeks.

See you on the 3rd floor T.

grin

Take your meds, be a good boy and you can sit in the TV room for a half an hour before bedtime.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I had a crazy idea this morning. I was thinking of getting my gear ready for deer season in the next few weeks.

See you on the 3rd floor T.

grin

Take your meds, be a good boy and you can sit in the TV room and lick the cat for a half an hour before bedtime.

Fixed it

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent Jim.

Tom, go bow hunting! that's what I do, if there is an open season I have a tag, regardless if I make it or not, just having the option is mind settling. good luck, there is always the cat thing too I guess

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Like I said, any tips will be appreciated.

get all your butchering knives sharp (hide them from wife if necessary), all the meat wrapping and bagging supplies bought and stored. Get your cutting boards cleaned up. Clear freezer space. maybe lay in a supply of beer in the shop if that's where you do your butchering. Get the chain hoist in place.

Usually I prepare pretty well go leave for hunting. I don't prepare so well to return from hunting.

Check your camera batteries.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Email and PM sent back Ryan.

That good advice Brent. I really should prepare for more than the hunt itself. I'm normally scrambling once I get one on the ground.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Mmmm asaparagus soaked in salt water and then wrapped in bacon and grilled along with a fine T-bone. It don't get much better!

Butter melted over medium heat in a sauce pan.
Diced onions added and cooked until translucent.
Add a wheel of Garlic and Fine Herb Borsin cheese.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Continually stir slowly until hot and thickened.
Allow to cool slightly, thickening a bit more.
Pour over rosemary marinated lamb or T-bone steaks grilled medium rare/medium and steamed asparagus with cracked pepper.
For the win!

This has become our customary New Years Eve dinner. Fantastic every time.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow, can you just come to the house and do that for us? lol!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in!

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend/coworker (ex-coworker now) who's brother is a professional chef. He shared that simple recipe with me. It's not difficult, but it is awesome.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just throwing it out there that this time next week I will be in Colorado enjoying a couple weeks off from the fun here in the sandbox. Gonna surprise the kids by picking them up from their last class of the day at their schools. Can't wait!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh wow, that is awesome!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Excellent!!!

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Video it and share it here on the fire! Those soldier surprising their kids videos never cease to put a lump in my throat. Thank you for your service!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Azar
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Butter melted over medium heat in a sauce pan.
Diced onions added and cooked until translucent.
Add a wheel of Garlic and Fine Herb Borsin cheese.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Continually stir slowly until hot and thickened.
Allow to cool slightly, thickening a bit more.
Pour over rosemary marinated lamb or T-bone steaks grilled medium rare/medium and steamed asparagus with cracked pepper.
For the win!

This has become our customary New Years Eve dinner. Fantastic every time.

Or there is that! YUMMO!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Just throwing it out there that this time next week I will be in Colorado enjoying a couple weeks off from the fun here in the sandbox. Gonna surprise the kids by picking them up from their last class of the day at their schools. Can't wait!

I hope you get to stay home too, but I am guessing from the sound of it that you will have to go back.

Take care and thanks,
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Page 1,191 of 1,842 1 2 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.