Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
this question is about a custom muzzleloader with barrel steel strong enough for modern guns.
If one put 250 grains of FF or FFF black powder in a .58 caliber muzzleloader behind a 500 or so grain minieball, do you think most of the powder would be burnt in a 28" bbl?
What would be needed,a longer barrel or a larger caliber bore or faster powder?

p.s. not everyone is the same size,strength,tolerance etc when it comes to recoil and things you may find uncomfortable others may not and vice versa.I was really wanting to know about the powder burn etc.I thank everyone for their input!

Last edited by realitycheck; 09/26/13.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A thicker recoil pad......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No matter. You'll hate shooting that load.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
No matter. You'll hate shooting that load.

Why? Why would i hate shooting that load? would it be inaccurate or something?
I'm 6'2" about 240 and work out as often as i can,and im able to handle recoil ok. Im not concerned with that aspect of it. I was wondering if all the powder is going to burn in the barrel at that length. Please elaborate if there is some reason you think that would be a bad load other than recoil.
Thanks for your input.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Other than recoil from hell. No, I don't think all the powder will burn. I don't believe a powder load half that size will burn completely.

Enough will burn to still be a stout load though. Especially, with such a heavy bullet. I'd also be concerned about overloading the barrel.

The best thing is to increase the loads slowly up to that amount, and chrono them to see where gains end.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by realitycheck
Why? Why would i hate shooting that load?

Why would you want to shoot that load? It's around 50% more powder than any other published load I can find, and 150% more than the Goex website.

There's an easy way to answer your question though. Lay out a white sheet (or two) in front of the muzzle, load 'er up, let 'er rip, and see what ends up on the sheet. Probably work best if you shoot from prone.

Let us know how it turns out.

PS, I'm guessing your bullet will deform, your barrel will get leaded, and accuracy will be poor.

Last edited by smokepole; 09/27/13.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Other than recoil from hell. No, I don't think all the powder will burn. I don't believe a powder load half that size will burn completely.

Enough will burn to still be a stout load though. Especially, with such a heavy bullet. I'd also be concerned about overloading the barrel.

The best thing is to increase the loads slowly up to that amount, and chrono them to see where gains end.

thankyou very much. the barrel is used for a wildcat smokeless cartridge that pushes 650 and 750 grainers to 2800fps with the pressure level of a 458 win mag,due to powder choices and longer barrels. If i used smokeless loads in it i could push 600 grainers over 2000.But i dont,because i like blk powder. I know the barrel will hold up. I was just trying to ascertain where the black powder stops giving velocity. And i think youre right,i need to chrono it and find the law of diminishing returns.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Why? Why would i hate shooting that load?

Why would you want to shoot that load? It's around 50% more powder than any other published load I can find, and 150% more than the Goex website.

There's an easy way to answer your question though. Lay out a white sheet (or two) in front of the muzzle, load 'er up, let 'er rip, and see what ends up on the sheet. Probably work best if you shoot from prone.

Let us know how it turns out.

PS, I'm guessing your bullet will deform, your barrel will get leaded, and accuracy will be poor.

i thank you for your guess about bullet deformation. i think they publish data lower than the real deal to be safe. the barrel was designed and is used to push smokeless loads in modern guns,.585 caliber 650-750 grain max 2800 fps in a wildcat cartridge.I figured adding it to a ML would be a cool .58 caliber.
To defeat the things you said, could i use a modern fmj or safari bullet then lay out a sheet. great advice brother.thanks !

Last edited by realitycheck; 09/27/13.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're talking about a cartridge rifle, you may want to ask the question on the black powder cartridge forum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a 62 caliber hawken replica and have used a 600 grain maxi ball over only 110 grains of 1f powder to take an elk,I can assure you you get full penetration,even at 90 yards, on a diagonal raking shot so I doubt youll need more power

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
If you're talking about a cartridge rifle, you may want to ask the question on the black powder cartridge forum.
\

? im sorry i thought i said muzzleloader.its a custom muzzleloader job. the barrel is modern gun type steel,thats all. i use blacpowder.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My .02.....

Methinks your best chance of success is running heavyweight .50 bullets in a .58 sabot, if elongated projectiles is what your after.

If it's speed your looking for with a big bullet, think about a Forsythe (sp?) rifled big bore roundball slinger.
Pacific rifle used to build a 12 bore underhammer flinging a 500 grain ball to 2,000 fps. with (if I'm remembering correctly) 200 grains of FF.
They also built an 8 bore with a neat double-nipple arrangement to help with ingnition that handled some pretty huge charges.

If you look at sheer velocity, it ain't easy to beat the ball, even with a sabot (with black powder). Conicals may have somewhat higher BC's, but it takes a pretty good stretch before they start to catch up in terms of speed (ergo, trajectory). I've NEVER seen any data anywhere that would get a bore-sized conical of reasonable weight for the caliber much past 1300fps with black powder. Look up a few BC's for rounballs, sabots, and conicals and play around on Hornady's calculator. It'll embarrass a few marketing gurus.

Of course, I'm one of the few left that still has some appreciation for the lowly roundball and black powder. They will do things that other forms of projectile and propellant can't, but the cool kids on TV don't get paid to pimp them....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
? im sorry i thought i said muzzleloader.its a custom muzzleloader job. the barrel is modern gun type steel,thats all. i use blacpowder.

This is why I brought up cartridges.....

..... the barrel is used for a wildcat smokeless cartridge that pushes 650 and 750 grainers to 2800fps with the pressure level of a 458 win mag,due to powder choices and longer barrels.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Potsy
My .02.....

Methinks your best chance of success is running heavyweight .50 bullets in a .58 sabot, if elongated projectiles is what your after.

If it's speed your looking for with a big bullet, think about a Forsythe (sp?) rifled big bore roundball slinger.
Pacific rifle used to build a 12 bore underhammer flinging a 500 grain ball to 2,000 fps. with (if I'm remembering correctly) 200 grains of FF.
They also built an 8 bore with a neat double-nipple arrangement to help with ingnition that handled some pretty huge charges.

If you look at sheer velocity, it ain't easy to beat the ball, even with a sabot (with black powder). Conicals may have somewhat higher BC's, but it takes a pretty good stretch before they start to catch up in terms of speed (ergo, trajectory). I've NEVER seen any data anywhere that would get a bore-sized conical of reasonable weight for the caliber much past 1300fps with black powder. Look up a few BC's for rounballs, sabots, and conicals and play around on Hornady's calculator. It'll embarrass a few marketing gurus.

Of course, I'm one of the few left that still has some appreciation for the lowly roundball and black powder. They will do things that other forms of projectile and propellant can't, but the cool kids on TV don't get paid to pimp them....

Thanks for your .02 cents. i agree with you about the roundball,i have no problems using one.In .58 caliber it should retain velocity fairly well too. The barrel can use smokeless to push 600 grain fmj's to past 2000 fps, but i wanted to use black powder in it or pyrodex etc to hunt muzzleloading season with.
I also think youre right about the sabot.i thnk Hornady makes a .50 to .45 300 or so grain boattail sabot bullet. I think finding a sabot to fit .58 to .50 is a good idea. ill try to get fullbores moving as fast as possible too.thanks for the input. hey and thanks for the recommendation of new guns to look at,i appreciate it. Ive looked into custom bp guns like 8 bore doubles and .72 calibers made with smokeless barrels for high charges,and the best price i found was $1700 for a custom .72.
But then i found a guy that makes smokeless barrels that are in the .600 nitro express range and can put a .58 caliber barrel on the .50 cal muzzleloader i already have. For significantly less money.So my logic is to save thousands of dollars by swapping my barrel out and turning it from a deer gun to a grizzly gun.
I agree with you about roundballs and black powder,and they do shoot flatter and penetrate well which is the basis of their performance i think.
I will tell you in all the forums ive posted this question your response was reasonable and provided good info,that you know of a 12 bore using 200 grains FFg.So i propose to use 200+ grains in a .58 but ill use FFF so itll burn faster.

thank you for your input.

Last edited by realitycheck; 09/28/13. Reason: was rushed earlier
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

You might want to think again on those sabots. Im not away of any company that makes a 58x50 sabot. I may be wrong but i would be very interested if you have a link to such a sabot.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Overkill45

You might want to think again on those sabots. Im not away of any company that makes a 58x50 sabot. I may be wrong but i would be very interested if you have a link to such a sabot.

Overkill45,good to see you again,breaker 1-9. Id like to see that link for a .58/.50 sabot too. I found a real hookup on getting my CVA .50 barrel swapped out for a .58 smokeless barrel that will push 650 grain bullets to 2500+ fps using nitro powders,but since im keeping it black powder, i figure 250 grs FFFg should help that .58 ball out a little quicker.

All input is appreciated.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That would be a thick sabot, and probably wouldn't work that well.

What are you hunting?

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 09/28/13.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

This is why I brought up cartridges.....

..... the barrel is used for a wildcat smokeless cartridge that pushes 650 and 750 grainers to 2800fps with the pressure level of a 458 win mag,due to powder choices and longer barrels.

im sorry sir, i must clarify: the barrel im having put on my muzzleloader was originally designed for large bore smokeless cartridges to push heavy bullets fast at pressures equal to a .458 mag.I just wrote to show that if it will handle that,it will handle 250 grains of blk powder. It is basically putting a modern strong steel barrel on a muzzleloader so i can use more powder and push my ball/conical faster.
sorry for any confusion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No worries, let us know how it does.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, the powder will burn. The bullet you speak of isn't that hefty. The barrel steel isn't the issue, but the nature of you breech plug and ignition system is.

.50 caliber, 800 grain patched bullet over 180 gr Swiss 1-1/2 Fg works.
.56 cal, 1300 gr patched bullet over 200 gr Swiss 1-1/2 Fg works too.

Wouldn't suggest such loads for conventional BP rifles but underhammer or sidehammer guns with platinum lined nipples or sealed ignition handle it just fine. It helps with recoil if they weigh 25-40#, give or take.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I would agree with Dan . Its not the barrel that�s the issue but if the breech will hold the pressure .
Built properly it should .
The other question is will your stock design be able to withstand the recoil

I would also agree that most of the powder will be burnt . With that charge you probably will get some that wont but I would bet that something around 80-90 % will

Now to the issue of recoil .
How much felt recoil your going to get will also depend on the stock , its weight and its lines . A very light stock can often feel heavier in recoil then one with a heavy stock
While IMO a 500 grain projectile isn�t that heavy for a 58 , if that bullet and amount of charge is used on a stock with a slim wrist and a lot of drop ,then your asking for trouble .
But if you have the stock made for the purpose of that type of charge and the grain is ran through the wrist correctly , with a good quality wood ,and rather shallow in the drop , not only will the stock withstand that charge but even greater charges

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
the guy doing the work says the breechplug is ok.
you described some heavy bullets for that caliber! im going to use 750 grain solids with 2F or 3F 250 grains. my gun will probly weigh 10 lbs when finished,but ill roll with it.

thanks for the interesting info.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll ask again. What are you hunting?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the guy doing the work says the breechplug is ok.
you described some heavy bullets for that caliber! im going to use 750 grain solids with 2F or 3F 250 grains. my gun will probly weigh 10 lbs when finished,but ill roll with it.

thanks for the interesting info.

Yes you will.

What is the configuration of your ignition system?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Yes you will.

Roll with it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Si.

What is being contemplated is roughly a 24 bore with a 9 bore projectile weight and 9+ drams of powder. Total charge mass is 1,000 grains. Rock and roll...

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/28/13.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Si.

What is being contemplated is roughly a 24 bore with a 9 bore projectile weight and 9+ drams of powder. Total charge mass is 1,000 grains. Rock and roll...

I wasnt talking about hunting in this thread,it was more a gun performance question. But with a .58 caliber 650 grain bullet and a gun that will take blk powder or smokeless loads,i would hunt anything in America.

Yes,.58 cal is 24 bore rifled, and its capable of 9 drams,even though it may be pointless to put that much blk powder in there.I will experiment,and see what it can do with bp.I know its capabilities with nitro powders. But i want to keep it black powder. It could be i need to go up in diameter to make use of a 9 dram load efficiently.i will see.

It will recoil but im not a little guy and can handle larger caliber weapons and have found that with the really heavy recoiling ones its better to let your body go with the recoil and let it flow than to try and fight it with your strength.

custom threaded breechplug,custom steel bbl,inline musket,percussion,or 209.

an 8 bore ball is around 835 or 875 grains,and an 8 bore conical can be 2000 grsains. im talking about a .58 caliber projectile weighing 650 -750 grains, and i can use .577 nitro express solids for projectiles in it.

I just want to use as much bp or whitehot pellets i can to get it going as fast as possible.

Last edited by realitycheck; 09/29/13.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by captchee

I would agree with Dan . Its not the barrel that�s the issue but if the breech will hold the pressure .
Built properly it should .
The other question is will your stock design be able to withstand the recoil

I would also agree that most of the powder will be burnt . With that charge you probably will get some that wont but I would bet that something around 80-90 % will

Now to the issue of recoil .
How much felt recoil your going to get will also depend on the stock , its weight and its lines . A very light stock can often feel heavier in recoil then one with a heavy stock
While IMO a 500 grain projectile isn�t that heavy for a 58 , if that bullet and amount of charge is used on a stock with a slim wrist and a lot of drop ,then your asking for trouble .
But if you have the stock made for the purpose of that type of charge and the grain is ran through the wrist correctly , with a good quality wood ,and rather shallow in the drop , not only will the stock withstand that charge but even greater charges

Thank you for your input,i appreciate it. It will be a quality barrel and threaded breechplug to withsatand nitro or blk powder loads,but ill be keeping it to bp or pellets.
Its a composite stock and will be bedded in a steel plate.
I will use 650-750 grain safari solids or lead minies with my blk powder loads.Maybe even prb's sometimes.

thanks for looking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It could be i need to go up in diameter to make use of a 9 dram load efficiently.i will see.

You would build a rifle around a powder charge? I know lots of guys select the bullet they want to shoot, and build a rifle around it. Or they put together the rifle they want to shoot, and then develop a load.

I'd like to see a photo of that bad boy when it's finished.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you hunting, or just burning powder?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Me? Neither, just flapping my gums LOL.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If its a custom barrel, only that maker can tell you what the safe charge is. Just because its modern steel, doesnt mean you can load up an enormous charge and think its ok, theres many grades of steel out on the market.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bigblock455
If its a custom barrel, only that maker can tell you what the safe charge is. Just because its modern steel, doesnt mean you can load up an enormous charge and think its ok, theres many grades of steel out on the market.

if the intent is to use a modern center fire barrel , then IMO the barrel will hold the charge .
again the key is the breech . which should hold fine for that charge in a 58 as the bore pressure is still going to be less then the same charge with like or heavier bullets in a smaller bore like a 41 or 45 cal .

Now does that mean it would hold up to smokeless powder . My take on it is that would depend on the powder and the ignition design . Even if you used a 209 primer but used a traditional styled lock , the lock itself would have to be able to withstand the blow back pressure of the powder . So what powder one could use would then also be dependant on the lock not just the breech .

Building a gun to withstand progressive powders has more to consider then if you just built the gun for use with black powder or and substitute. I sure wouldn�t slap a plug in it and say ; there you go .
Just because the barrel may hold or be designed to hold a smokeless charge , doesn�t mean the rest of the gun will

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It could be i need to go up in diameter to make use of a 9 dram load efficiently.i will see.

You would build a rifle around a powder charge? I know lots of guys select the bullet they want to shoot, and build a rifle around it. Or they put together the rifle they want to shoot, and then develop a load.

I'd like to see a photo of that bad boy when it's finished.

Since its a custom job ill have it done custom.But what youll see is a muzzleloader with its .50 barrel swapped for a .58 cal modern steel nitro designed barrel ,and with somebody shooting black powder out of it. The thread was about me trying to figure out if all that powder would burn and add velocity.
ill post photos when its done, thanks.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

if the intent is to use a modern center fire barrel , then IMO the barrel will hold the charge .
again the key is the breech . which should hold fine for that charge in a 58 as the bore pressure is still going to be less then the same charge with like or heavier bullets in a smaller bore like a 41 or 45 cal .

Now does that mean it would hold up to smokeless powder . My take on it is that would depend on the powder and the ignition design . Even if you used a 209 primer but used a traditional styled lock , the lock itself would have to be able to withstand the blow back pressure of the powder . So what powder one could use would then also be dependant on the lock not just the breech .

Building a gun to withstand progressive powders has more to consider then if you just built the gun for use with black powder or and substitute. I sure wouldn�t slap a plug in it and say ; there you go .
Just because the barrel may hold or be designed to hold a smokeless charge , doesn�t mean the rest of the gun will

im not building it a gun expert is,and it appears that this locking mechanism is tough enough for moderate to high smokeless loads which in this case is pretty powerful. but im using bp anyway.thanks for input.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

i hunt yes but thats not where i was going with this thread.Until i go hunting i will be burning powder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

i hunt yes but thats not where i was going with this thread.Until i go hunting i will be burning powder.

Ok, i'm just wondering what goal you're trying to achieve for hunting? What animal, distance etc.?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

yes that data comes with the work.but since i like to use bp,i was just trying to figure out if 250 grains is wasteful in a .58 caliber. Some say it is,some say it isnt.without a chronograph,its hard to tell.so ill probably load it up and lay a white sheet or 2 out in front and see if any unburnt blk powder ends up on it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll bet you can't find any hunting load that won't show some unburned powder. I never could. It doesn't mean I couldn't add more powder for some gains.

What was important to me was, how much powder could I add before I lost accuracy.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
[quote=Mauser_Hunter]I'll bet you can't find any hunting load that won't show some unburned powder. I never could. It doesn't mean I couldn't add more powder for some gains.

What was important to me was, how much powder could I add before I lost accuracy. [/quote

thats cool,i hadnt heard that before,about unburned powder in every load.i believe it.
ive been blk powder hunting 20 years but only in the past couple years,REALLY got into it. ive heard ppl say 250 grains is too much and its a waste,but i personally have a hard time believing 250 grains wont push a ball/bullet faster than 80 grains regardless. Its a really good deal on custom work,and it can always use smokeless in a bind.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Ok, i'm just wondering what goal you're trying to achieve for hunting? What animal, distance etc.?

Well to be honest i prefer open sights although i may mount it with a scope.With some type of .58 to .50 or .45 sabot i figure i could get 300 yards out of it.I plan it to be versatile.
But i prefer to keep distances within 150 yards(open sight range) and my typical hunt is deer and elk,the largest animal i would ever kill would be grizzly.
I think it would fair decently in Africa with the right loads but it only has one barrel and i wouldnt take it against dangerous game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RC, I'm not here to rain on your parade, just broaching discussion on ancillary aspects of your proposal. Several folks have inquired about your intended use of the gun and from what I read in your response it appears your objective is more directed at reaching a particular charge level more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, though it does not tickle my fancy all that much.

Capchee discussed the necessity of having a lock mechanism suitable for the endeavor and I have inquired on the same issue. It is far more significant than the quality of steel in your barrel. Cartridge guns use cartridges for convenience and also as gaskets which allow the high pressure modern smokeless guns employ. Muzzleloaders do not have that advantage, hence the implied concerns expressed. I mentioned underhammer and side hammer guns and suggest a popular reason for that geometry was to keep hot gas and debris out of the shooter's face.

Some decades back there was a legend of the bullet gun persuasion that had a gun known as Ol' Butt Burner. Reason for that was the day the gas jet from the clean out port on the right face of the gun burned a hole in the backside of a pair of jeans worn by a shooter at the adjacent lane, approximately 6' away.

Now as I understand it, you're looking at an inline configuration? If that is correct you have something there not unlike sealed ignition, which also contains venting gas after discharge, assuming it is properly designed and employed. The short version of what I'm saying is this. Don't worry so much about how much powder you can burn, many before you have burned more than you propose and with bullets bigger than you plan on using. Do concern yourself with the safety issues related to design and use, for your benefit and for those around you.

An example of "more" is found here. .56 caliber HV Perry sidehammer, cast steel barrel, built in the late 1800's. The fella that shoots it is your size, or my size for that matter. The recoil is....significant, despite it's 40+ pounds. The barrel is approximately 2.75" in diameter across the flats and about 28" long.

[Linked Image]

Another thing you need to consider is how you will load the gun. Unless the bullet is substantially undersize you will find loading problematic unless you have a bullet starter and false muzzle as pictured here with a .50 caliber bullet gun. This one is configured for cross strip patches, but you can do the same with grease groove bullets and no patches. It just isn't quite as simple as having someone build a cannon for you then shooting it.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What a monster!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What you are asking about is very similar to the old style Slug Guns made for target shooting. Some of these rifles are shooting 1700gr paper patched lead bullets.
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Arti...Blasts%20Online/Vol%20I/No3/sluggun.html

They still have a competition too
http://nmlra.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Rules-Regulations.pdf
110�SLUG GUN RIFLE�No limit on weight or caliber.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll never complain about my gun being too heavy again!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a bunch of Slug Gun pics.
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...s/169442-muzzleloader-sniper-rifles.html

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Amazing guns, and shooting. Thanks for showing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullet guns are fascinating, and like having 25 wives, or so I've heard. I have two and consider it a privilege to caretake them for a spell. They illustrate there is little new under the sun.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, but can you shoot 250 grains of powder out of 'em.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, but can you shoot 250 grains of powder out of 'em.

yes smokepole . but then why would you want to unless it produced better accuracy.
As I have said on this forum many times before . BP ,Magnum charges often produce nothing more then more recoil while at the same time producing no more energy to the projectile then what one would get by hitting their thumb with a hammer .
the only real reason IMO to even go with a magnum charge is to achieve better accracy

yep Dan, as i said there are guns with allot smaller bores that shoot allot heavier bullet with large charges . But I doubt there is any that a person would want to carry hunting or have to shoot off hand that often .
While what your showing is a very good example, in my mind I picture something more along the lines of a heavy African big game rifle
I have seen 2 bores that shot up to 325 grains of powder and 2500 grain projectiles . But the guns also weighed between 30-40 lbs .
Here is one that�s projectile load is in the 3500 grain range

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/09/29/2-bore-rifle-photos/
But again I would point out that the actual bore pressure of theses guns while high , is often times less then a smaller bore shooting a lighter bullet and heavy charge
With the gu I spoke of above , MV is comes in at around 13-1700fps . But were also talking
15-17000 ftlb
Now if this is going to be a modern inline , ha not a real issue as the systems are based around modern center fire design anyway ..
So IMO it would not be that hard to take a rifle like a 700H&R . convert it to a muzzle loading application and thus have a gun that would do exactly what this person is asking about and more .
But why and why settle for that if the answer is (because )
You can in fact buy cartridge 4 bores and if one wanted to , could simply load them with BP OR convert them so as to use the shell casing as part of the ignition system OR just stick the shell in the breech and load the gun from the muzzle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Googly Oogly!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RWE
Great Googly Oogly!

ya LOL , the only thing funner is watching folks shoot them .
try doing a google for ; shooting the 4 bore rifle .
you should get a "Kick" out of it

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks cap, my question was at least partially tongue-in-cheek........

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Great Googly Oogly!

ya LOL , the only thing funner is watching folks shoot them .
try doing a google for ; shooting the 4 bore rifle .
you should get a "Kick" out of it

I'm sure before common sense finally caught up with me that my orthopaedic surgeon used to invest in sending me literature of such things.

Of course, that was before I got the Kodiak express. He's probably already looking for airplane accessories and waiting for me to call.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I thought about your little project while bored in a treestand over the weekend and a few things occured to me.

First, an English Sporting Rifle, .69cal, 400grn.ball, 32" 1-in-105" or so, 1-1/8 dia, double keyed, 200grn. FFG, with a 2 leaf express and a tang sight will be far more practical and fun to hunt with. I'll bet if you start looking deeper at weight/recoil/horsepower ratios, it starts to get pretty practical in terms of the performace level your looking at.
If you bumped up to 10 bore on an 1-1/4" barrel, things would get even more interesting, though it'd be less fun to carry, and the .69 oughta lengthwise anything in Christendom.

Now, to leave practicality behind (which we've all done, admit it, and set in on your .58 project.
First, I think paper patching is your friend here. Driving a pure lead bare conical to 2,000 fps is gonna make a mess you don't wanna clean up and accuracy is gonna be non existant.
And I'm having a hard time imagining driving a .577 jacketed slug down the barrel with a sledge hammer.
Patched, you should be able to see 2,000 fps with pure lead, heat treated wheelweights, and anything inbetween without leading. There's a little bit of art to it, and admittedly, I've never fooled with it, but I think that's your best bet.
There should be some info here and there's a wealth of info over on the "Cast Boolits" websit.
Further, I don't know that you could utilize 250 grains under a 650 grain bullet in a .58 bore. But, I'd bet a cool brew that you'd see better performance thinking in terms of 200 grains under something like an 850 grainer. I think a 650 would be a bit squatty (some folks shoot 600 grainers in .45's), where a heavier bullet would build a bit more pressure, giving a more "complete" burn (as complete as your gonna get with black powder). Also, a longer bullet, at the same speed, should shoot a bit flatter.
I'd also look at paying a bit more (like, double) for Swiss Black Powder as opposed to Goex. It is, after all, supposed to be a performance machine.
I simply got to thinking about it in terms of, if the old British long range match riles could run 600 grain bullets and 120 grains of Black Powder, why couldn't you simply scale up to .58?
I dunno how much mention I'm allowed to make of other websites, so forgive me if this is considered a "foxpaw"; but take a peek at "Cast Boolits". Also, if it's still going (I've not looked in months) but the old "Nitro Express" website used to have a good bit on the subject.
Also, might take a peek at some of Doc White's and Jim Gefroh's stuff. They've turned out more than a few high performance large bore conical rifles.

Good luck and keep us posted.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
RC, I'm not here to rain on your parade, just broaching discussion on ancillary aspects of your proposal. Several folks have inquired about your intended use of the gun and from what I read in your response it appears your objective is more directed at reaching a particular charge level more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, though it does not tickle my fancy all that much.

Capchee discussed the necessity of having a lock mechanism suitable for the endeavor and I have inquired on the same issue. It is far more significant than the quality of steel in your barrel. Cartridge guns use cartridges for convenience and also as gaskets which allow the high pressure modern smokeless guns employ. Muzzleloaders do not have that advantage, hence the implied concerns expressed. I mentioned underhammer and side hammer guns and suggest a popular reason for that geometry was to keep hot gas and debris out of the shooter's face.

Some decades back there was a legend of the bullet gun persuasion that had a gun known as Ol' Butt Burner. Reason for that was the day the gas jet from the clean out port on the right face of the gun burned a hole in the backside of a pair of jeans worn by a shooter at the adjacent lane, approximately 6' away.

Now as I understand it, you're looking at an inline configuration? If that is correct you have something there not unlike sealed ignition, which also contains venting gas after discharge, assuming it is properly designed and employed. The short version of what I'm saying is this. Don't worry so much about how much powder you can burn, many before you have burned more than you propose and with bullets bigger than you plan on using. Do concern yourself with the safety issues related to design and use, for your benefit and for those around you.

An example of "more" is found here. .56 caliber HV Perry sidehammer, cast steel barrel, built in the late 1800's. The fella that shoots it is your size, or my size for that matter. The recoil is....significant, despite it's 40+ pounds. The barrel is approximately 2.75" in diameter across the flats and about 28" long.

[Linked Image]

Another thing you need to consider is how you will load the gun. Unless the bullet is substantially undersize you will find loading problematic unless you have a bullet starter and false muzzle as pictured here with a .50 caliber bullet gun. This one is configured for cross strip patches, but you can do the same with grease groove bullets and no patches. It just isn't quite as simple as having someone build a cannon for you then shooting it.

[Linked Image]

Im going to use the gun for huting anything i want in North America.that should answer all questions about hunting. You are semi correct in that the purpose of THIS THREAD was to see if anyone knew if a .58 caliber muzzleloader could benefit from using 250 grains of blk powder. The purpose of the gun is to hunt.The purpose of the thread was to see what you all thought about burning that much powder in a .58 diameter barrel.And you among others i think have helped answer that.
I have been hunting for over 20 years and know what weapon to choose for what hunt. While i know there is much great advice to be given on hunting by all you,i hope to stem that tide and direct it more to the internal ballistics of using 250 grains of bp in a .58 caliber.

Im fully aware people have built bigger guns.I know a .72 would probably benefit more from 250 grains, but thats not what im getting or asking about.

i do appreciate your response about the locking mechanism.yes it is an inline gun much like a bolt action,having the nipple in about the same place as a cartridge gun would have the primer,so its a ways away from my face.And the "hammer" that hits the cap is a solid steel rod.At first glance it looks like a Remington 700.
I have noticed you have a fixation with heavy weighted guns.
The heaviest gun i have looked down the barrel of was a Barrett semi auto .50 BMG that weighed in at 35 pounds.Its not meant for hunting.
I have recently consulted a reknown custom gun builder about a muzzleloading 8 bore double and with 24" barrels would weigh in at 16 pounds. October Country makes 8 bore singles that weigh in at about the same.
There's a guy that builds nitro wildcats that surpass the .577 nitro express and they weigh in at 12 or so pounds.
Its not reasonable to carry a 40 pound gun hunting all day,and if a person needs a gun to weigh 40 pounds or they cant shoot it due to felt recoil,then its not the gun for them.

how much powder is used in that .56 caliber?

I dont see why a .58 caliber should be any harder to load than a .50 caliber with lubed bullets.

It is just quite as simple as getting a "cannon" built and then shooting it. I dont think a false muzzle is necessary,as ive seen plenty of store bought .58 calibers that load like any other muzzleloader. Im sure a bullet starter will help.

thanks for your concern about the safety issues,im sure my gunsmith will also consider them and provide load data when i get it.thanks!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Potsy
I thought about your little project while bored in a treestand over the weekend and a few things occured to me.

First, an English Sporting Rifle, .69cal, 400grn.ball, 32" 1-in-105" or so, 1-1/8 dia, double keyed, 200grn. FFG, with a 2 leaf express and a tang sight will be far more practical and fun to hunt with. I'll bet if you start looking deeper at weight/recoil/horsepower ratios, it starts to get pretty practical in terms of the performace level your looking at.
If you bumped up to 10 bore on an 1-1/4" barrel, things would get even more interesting, though it'd be less fun to carry, and the .69 oughta lengthwise anything in Christendom.

Now, to leave practicality behind (which we've all done, admit it, and set in on your .58 project.
First, I think paper patching is your friend here. Driving a pure lead bare conical to 2,000 fps is gonna make a mess you don't wanna clean up and accuracy is gonna be non existant.
And I'm having a hard time imagining driving a .577 jacketed slug down the barrel with a sledge hammer.
Patched, you should be able to see 2,000 fps with pure lead, heat treated wheelweights, and anything inbetween without leading. There's a little bit of art to it, and admittedly, I've never fooled with it, but I think that's your best bet.
There should be some info here and there's a wealth of info over on the "Cast Boolits" websit.
Further, I don't know that you could utilize 250 grains under a 650 grain bullet in a .58 bore. But, I'd bet a cool brew that you'd see better performance thinking in terms of 200 grains under something like an 850 grainer. I think a 650 would be a bit squatty (some folks shoot 600 grainers in .45's), where a heavier bullet would build a bit more pressure, giving a more "complete" burn (as complete as your gonna get with black powder). Also, a longer bullet, at the same speed, should shoot a bit flatter.
I'd also look at paying a bit more (like, double) for Swiss Black Powder as opposed to Goex. It is, after all, supposed to be a performance machine.
I simply got to thinking about it in terms of, if the old British long range match riles could run 600 grain bullets and 120 grains of Black Powder, why couldn't you simply scale up to .58?
I dunno how much mention I'm allowed to make of other websites, so forgive me if this is considered a "foxpaw"; but take a peek at "Cast Boolits". Also, if it's still going (I've not looked in months) but the old "Nitro Express" website used to have a good bit on the subject.
Also, might take a peek at some of Doc White's and Jim Gefroh's stuff. They've turned out more than a few high performance large bore conical rifles.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I really appreciate your input, you seem to know a great deal about it. I will tel you something you already know:custom made muzzleloaders are expensive.I checked on getting a .72 high proofed rifle done.It was to cost $1700...and thats cheap. The thing is, my builder is an expert in big bores and powder and has invented several smokeless wildcats that use the .58 caliber barrel im talking about. His price to swap my .50 bbl out for his beefed up smokeless ready .58 bbl is wayyyy more economically friendly for me, all the custom breechplug work and barrel cost being done for around $500. That is my driving factor to getting the most black powder performance out of a .58 caliber muzzleloader as i can.
I plan to use hardcast lead,lubed bullets, or prb's, or paper patching as you suggested.I may have to talk more about that to you later,as im not acqainted with it.
I thank you for all your input and the tone of it.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
i am trying to post "before"pictures but i dont have pics on a website,just on file. do i have to provide an http:address to post a pic? can you just upload one off your computer?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
wow!what is that fellow shooting out of that big barrel gun? what caliber is that and how much powder?? Is the steel just weaker than modern gun steel? the barrel im getting is capable of pushing 750 grainers to 2800 fps in a cartridge,and only a couple hundred fps less in my ML,and its nothing like that.

What do you think i should do for distance shooting in your opinion, fullbore very heavy .58s or .58/.45 sabots with 300-400 grain .45's?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have noticed you have a fixation with heavy weighted guns.

Not really, but I shoot a few.

[Linked Image]

The heaviest gun i have looked down the barrel of was a Barrett semi auto .50 BMG that weighed in at 35 pounds.Its not meant for hunting.

Actually, they are, just not the kind of hunting we're talking about here. Ma Deuce rocks...

8 bore double

A friend of mine recently had one of those 'double' on him. He said the sky turned purple. laugh

how much powder is used in that .56 caliber?

Favored load for a 900 grain bullet is 200 grains of 2FG. I don't recall the specifics for the 1,300 grain bullet but it was not significantly different. As Cap said, the object of the drill for those guns is accuracy. If it were a hunting gun the terminal performance would merit little more than O-M-G! Or maybe 'part is parts'? I dunno.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
After hearing all of this i think the custom 58 will do well
thanks for the input,all

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 38 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.