Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Saying they're just as good after you sort out the problems and change a few parts is the same as saying they're not as good. It's just a nicer way of saying it.

Sort of, but many (not necessarily here) think that every single "milspec" part of a Colt is somehow superior to other guns and it ain't so. There aren't that many manufacturers of the individual parts out there, ALL the makers buy stuff from the same vendors. Colt and others probably scrutinize what they buy a bit closer than DPMS does, but that's just a WAG on my part, I don't know, but what I do know if parts guns made mostly from DPMS parts run just fine.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just the making, it's the testing, inspection and repeatability of quality prior to calling it "milspec". kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Saying they're just as good after you sort out the problems and change a few parts is the same as saying they're not as good. It's just a nicer way of saying it.
Thats true, assuming you have to replace anything.

I will never forget that my first Zeiss scope was a lemon... broke something loose on the first shot...

And that some of the lesser quality guns are just that, have to have parts replaced that were soft etc...

You don't know till you shoot, and that can go for the Colt too.

Always, at least IMHO, depends on what you want to do with the gun.

For reliability off the shelf factory Colt would be top in my books, but not for accuracy or good triggers.

Of course it gets back to why I build my own, use the parts I know work etc..... and why if I don't know, I ask around.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by jimmyp
yes he discovered that Windham like RRA and Bushmaster is a super recreational AR15 that could be fired 500 rounds a year for the rest of his life. They are like the Rossi or Taurus of AR's.

that statement is just asinine.

I remember an article written in shooting times, or guns and ammo, or some other gun magazine maybe a year ago where the author shot 6 piston guns and six gas guns over the course of a few thousand rounds while subjecting them to conditions none of us would put our guns thru. The only two guns to make it thru the test without issue was a RRA and a Larue.

Odd that some gun rag finds contrary to what is known to be reality. Was the RRA advertizement on the same page as the article?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes he discovered that Windham like RRA and Bushmaster is a super recreational AR15 that could be fired 500 rounds a year for the rest of his life. They are like the Rossi or Taurus of AR's.

that statement is just asinine.

I remember an article written in shooting times, or guns and ammo, or some other gun magazine maybe a year ago where the author shot 6 piston guns and six gas guns over the course of a few thousand rounds while subjecting them to conditions none of us would put our guns thru. The only two guns to make it thru the test without issue was a RRA and a Larue.

Odd that some gun rag finds contrary to what is known to be reality. Was the RRA advertizement on the same page as the article?

May 2011 issue of Guns and Ammo magazine. Check it out yourself, maybe you don't know as much as you think you do?

Last edited by dmsbandit; 09/04/13.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know I am more honest than a gun rag that could review a raven and call it the "the gun of the century" if they got paid enough. I owned a bushmaster and I owned a RRA both were OK.

If a newly minted LEO asked your advice would you tell him "they all work so get a Windham"? When he says "all my instructors say get a Colt" are you going to tell him "that is BS, Windham is just as good for your application"?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well,the New Yorkistan State Police are now carrying RRA guns in their patrol cars. I doubt NYS Police go with the cheapest available product.

The ironic thing is, since our Imperial Governor signed the NY SAFE ACT, RRA and 150 other companies won't do business with any state or local government agency. Too bad Glock and S&W wouldn't do the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy, here in Kommifornia, bought a Windham AR ... it shoots great! However, he didn't realize 'til long after he bought it, that one of the take down pins was missing both the detent and the detent spring. Those parts aren't expensive, and the rifle still worked, but it is indicative of poor quality control.

Last edited by Ivan; 09/27/13.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
well,the New Yorkistan State Police are now carrying RRA guns in their patrol cars. I doubt NYS Police go with the cheapest available product.

The ironic thing is, since our Imperial Governor signed the NY SAFE ACT, RRA and 150 other companies won't do business with any state or local government agency. Too bad Glock and S&W wouldn't do the same.

RRA is one of the better of the older hobby gun brands, but leaves a lot to be desired. In service with some federal agencies they have exhibited problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not all LE personnel, even the ones making the purchasing decisions, are gun experts. To most, AR's are all the same. They could care less if something is chrome lined or have a mil spec sized buffer tube. If it breaks, they get it fixed.

I however like to buy the best I can afford and a extra $100-$200 for a slightly better gun is worth it to me. Especially if I intend to use it for a defense purpose.

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/28/13.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RyanScott

RRA is one of the better of the older hobby gun brands, but leaves a lot to be desired. In service with some federal agencies they have exhibited problems.

In the last few months I've become friends with a guy who has worked for BlackWater and is currently employed by the state department. He's been places in the world none of us would ever want to visit, and I trust his opinion on alot of things firearm related. He's put tens of thousands of rounds thru all sorts of weapons in all sorts of conditions.

He speaks VERY highly of the RRA operator series rifles. He would take those guns over a DPMS, Bushmaster, or Windham any day.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a friend that is a double naught spy and he says....

the internet... whistle

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
^^ ha! But seriously. Don't mistake someone who uses a tool, to understand what makes one tool better than the other.

I have friends too, and when they get issued new toys, I usually get a call to talk them over. They have no idea when I ask about certain specifics.

They can however shoot off-handed and reload far better than I can!

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.