Print Thread
Hop To
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Tell me about them. Strength, reliability, customer service, turrets and anything else. Looked at lots of positive reviews and very little bad. Just want to see how u guys rate them.

Thanks Roy

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have a first focal plane 6-24X50 with the ebr 1 mil reticle, and love it. I think you get a lot of features that are on higher $ scopes for a great price. I think the glass is on par if not slightly better than my leupold VXIII's but not as good as my Zeiss conquest's. I love the turrets, they have a great feel to them and have been repeatable. I have mine mounted on a savage 110 FCP 338 lapua and have about 300rds down the tube with no issues. I haven't had to use the customer service yet so I can't comment on that. Overall I have been very pleased with mine and would buy another in a second.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
4-16x50 second focal plane MOA here. I really like it. Adjustments are right on and very positive. Very clear for me. I've only had Leupold MK4's before this and I'm definitely a fan of the Viper PST's. Great value for the price.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 257heaven; 09/27/13.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What exactly is "first focal plane" and what are the advantages? Not trying to hijack the thread but Im looking at this glass too and they keep talking about it.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have two 6-24 & one 4-16 PST's all SFP....all varmint rigs...

Most recent game scope is the HS-LR 4-16x44 on 6.5x55

Look into the HS-T coming available mid Oct '13

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/first_vs_second_focal_plane

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First focal plane if for a very select group who use their reticle for ranging instead of using a range finder. I very much prefer to use second focal plane and have the crosshairs stay thin.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Ok, I'll be the dissenter. Vortex has a rabid fan base that is untouched by any optics manufacturer out there. They have the best customer service of any optics manufacturer. Their scopes also have the highest failure rate of any "name" scope I have ever seen.

Just counting my experience with my personal Vortex scopes I have had two 5-20x Razer's that would sporadically lose zero and if you tightened the scope rings more than 12 inch pounds or so, the parallax adjustment would completely lock up. i.e.- it would not adjust at all. One stopped tracking in the middle of a LR tactical match, and then shifted right .9 mils (3.3 inches at 100 yards). I have a current 1-6x Razor that I use on my work gun that three weeks ago shifted 10+ MOA and stopped tracking until I loosened and retightened the scope rings. They scope rings were tightened to 12in pounds with a torque wrench before and after.

Now to other people's experience that I have seen- my partner was sponsored by them and left after he had a 5-20x Razor lens come completely unglued and rotate 45 degrees during a match, a 1-4 x that lost zero twice, and he had the same parallax lockup problem with the rings. I have seen several develop problems during matches and a casual look at the snipershide optics forum will show several "my vortex broke" threads on the first couple of pages.

I am well aware that there are a bunch of people that have had no problems, including several I know, however due diligence would be to do a bit of research. There is a reason they have such a known reputation for great customer service.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Case in point.

Target on left was two weeks ago, target on right was less than 20 minutes ago. Has rode in a truck during that time. Same gun, same lot of issued 77gr Match, no adjustments to scope.

Prone mag monopodded, unsupported. Two MOA shift right. Rings still tight.

[Linked Image]

This scope is the best 1-6x on the market in my opinion. Unfortunately it's also another Vortex going back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
There is a reason they have such a known reputation for great customer service.....

When I see dozens and dozens of threads extolling fantastic "customer service", I heed the warning..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Ok, I'll be the dissenter. Vortex has a rabid fan base that is untouched by any optics manufacturer out there. They have the best customer service of any optics manufacturer. Their scopes also have the highest failure rate of any "name" scope I have ever seen.

Just counting my experience with my personal Vortex scopes I have had two 5-20x Razer's that would sporadically lose zero and if you tightened the scope rings more than 12 inch pounds or so, the parallax adjustment would completely lock up. i.e.- it would not adjust at all. One stopped tracking in the middle of a LR tactical match, and then shifted right .9 mils (3.3 inches at 100 yards). I have a current 1-6x Razor that I use on my work gun that three weeks ago shifted 10+ MOA and stopped tracking until I loosened and retightened the scope rings. They scope rings were tightened to 12in pounds with a torque wrench before and after.

Now to other people's experience that I have seen- my partner was sponsored by them and left after he had a 5-20x Razor lens come completely unglued and rotate 45 degrees during a match, a 1-4 x that lost zero twice, and he had the same parallax lockup problem with the rings. I have seen several develop problems during matches and a casual look at the snipershide optics forum will show several "my vortex broke" threads on the first couple of pages.

I am well aware that there are a bunch of people that have had no problems, including several I know, however due diligence would be to do a bit of research. There is a reason they have such a known reputation for great customer service.....

As a Vortex owner...I completely agree.

They do make great products at great prices, and will serve you well as long as you enter the relationship with the knowledge that you stand a decent chance of having to send the scope back. For me, the value and features makes this palatable, even if not ideal..

For me, I am at about 50/50. I destroyed two SPARC red dots, but have had very good luck with the two HS-Ts that I have had. For a range toy, they are great, but I don't think I would gamble my life, or an once in a lifetime hunt, on one.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a half dozen of their optics in various mix. I think they're great for your secondary rifles. Not everyone can afford a Hensoldt on every rifle they own. For not much more money, Bushnell Tactical scopes are an excellent option and have a little better glass, IMO.

RLTW
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Don't own a PST, but have. viper HD 10 x 42 binoculars, viper hd spotting scope , viper 2 x7 x32 on a 338 federal, viper hs 2.5x10x44 on a 25-06...... All Working good so far. Most guys I know using Vortex are having good luck . One friend is a avid LR guy and is running Vortex on his .338 Lapua. He shoots a ton....zero issues. Only time will tell.......as a Design engineer, you cannot continue to market sub par products, it will lays catch up with you. It will be interesting to see this play out..... Goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 10/08/13.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
For a range toy, they are great, but I don't think I would gamble my life, or an once in a lifetime hunt, on one.

Well said and I concur. I have had 4 or 5 and retain 1 6-24x50 on a pdog gun. Dont trust them on my big game guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The PST has been among the most reliable of scopes on 2 different rifles for me, absorbing punishment that no scope should have to endure, while always tracking perfectly and maintaining zero. My experiences have been very positive!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,228
Posts18,371,199
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.