Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got a 2012 Honda Pilot with 37k miles on it. When I am going fast (+60) mph and step on the brakes I get a vibration/shimmy. I think I've got a warped rotor (or two) on the front end. What say you experts?

Braking at lower speeds the vibration/shimmy is much lower frequency.

I would not think rotors would warp at only 37k miles. 'specially on a Honda. wink

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like it. Doubly sure if you also feel a "throbbing" in the pedal. Ought to be in warranty, though.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Brake pulsations can be caused by several things uneven lugnut torque, too much heat and hard braking. It can happen at any mileage, torque lugnuts and downshift on long downhill drives, and don't hit the brakes hard on stops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The symptom of warped rotors is at slow speed when you're coming to a stop. It "pulses". That's how it is on my truck but ... obviously it's not a Honda Pilot.

Is the "shimmy" something you can feel in the steering wheel?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More common than not on the Japanese SUV's. The brakes are pretty small on most of them and they overheat very easily. Something the Japanese manufacturers still have to learn from the Europeans is make them bigger. Slotted rotors and better pads like EBC or Hawk will help prevent this if you are an aggressive driver.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes. I can feel it in the steering wheel. It twists back and forth slightly.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a sign of something other than warped rotors. The first thing I'd check is the lug nuts.

If you have a loose wheel it will shimmy and vibrate when applying the brakes. If that's not it ... take it to a shop and have them inspect the steering/suspension.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's rotors. If you get on them early, they can still turn them again. I have an MDX and I usuallt have to turn the rotors about once a year and replace them every 2-3 years.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree it's sounds like rotors. Bad shocks, ball joints, etc. can also contribute to feeling like this.

I messed up my fronts on a 4runner coming down out of the mountains with it after I first bought it. The fronts do most of the braking, and with an auto trans the engine braking wasn't helping enough. The solution was to get drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors. I first tried to replace them with standard rotors and even being aware of the issue and using the trans harder they still warped again. The drilled & slotted rotors dissipate heat much better.

Not familiar with Honda at all but I had one switchback I used regularly that I had to come down in in low range to keep from overheating the brakes. I tried it once in a Pontiac Grand Am & with the trans in 1st it still wasn't enough. The brakes were smoking & mushy and I was smoking hot too. If a Pilot has choices downshifting will help, but invest in better rotors & pads.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Got a 2012 Honda Pilot with 37k miles on it. When I am going fast (+60) mph and step on the brakes I get a vibration/shimmy. I think I've got a warped rotor (or two) on the front end. What say you experts?

Braking at lower speeds the vibration/shimmy is much lower frequency.

I would not think rotors would warp at only 37k miles. 'specially on a Honda. wink

I think there is a high probability that it is your rotors. Probably left the factory less then perfect. Had it happen to me on a new Toyota Avalon.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rotor Pro gets good reviews. They will slot or drill, or do both.

I am thinking about trying them on my F250.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It sure ain't a warranty item. Wheels not torqued right after new tires, rotation, or brake job. Heat during braking compounds the problem. Did you have a brake job and not machine the rotors?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Nope. Brand new rig. Just lube, oil, filter and drive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hondas' have crappy brakes. The dealer machined my rotors and replaced the pads under warranty at 30K but they are starting to have problems again.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
My truck weighs 7600 pounds and the original rotors lasted 110,000 miles. My second set of rotors have 50,000 miles on them and I just upgraded my brake pads. There was no need to turn the rotors. So, what's the secret to long rotor life? Provided your calipers are in good operating condition with slide pins and bores that are clean and lubed properly, then the main thing to focus on is never - under any circumstances - let this tool install your lug nuts:

[Linked Image]

There is no way to apply an even torque value to each of the lug nuts (outside of torque tubes) with an impact wrench. Uneven torque on the lug nuts means uneven stress on the rotors, which eventually leads to rotor hot spots and gives you the pulsation you feel when braking. Turning the rotors and then reinstalling them with an impact wrench will lead to even shorter rotor life, because now the rotors are thinner and less able to dissipate heat.

There is only one solution if you want long rotor life and that is to follow the manufacturer's torque value for your lug nuts and install them evenly and in a star pattern using a torque wrench. If you can find a shop that will do that for you that's great, but you're more likely going to have to purchase a torque wrench and keep it in the vehicle and put the final torque value on your lug nuts yourself. The alternative is continuous brake jobs. The torque wrench is a much cheaper option.

Last edited by walt501; 09/29/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone ever had a vehicle with warped rotors that did not pulsate when coming to a stop?

To me, that's the one true sign of a warped rotor(s).

I haven't driven every type of vehicle out there with a warped rotor(s) so I dunno ... ???

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wife's 06 Kia Sorento did the same. When we took it in, they knew right away that they had a bad batch of rotors. Got the whole mess replaced under warranty with no troubles since. I just did my F150 fronts, the rotors had been turned, wore more. and were warped. New rotors need to be broken in, getting slightly hot and then cooling, same as tempering a new pot belly stove, or skillet. As for Honda having trouble, you have more faith in their engineers/bean counters than I do. There is some corner cut on everything made, we just have to know of it, and live with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Hondas' have crappy brakes. The dealer machined my rotors and replaced the pads under warranty at 30K but they are starting to have problems again.

I bought a used 2010 Honda Accord w/ 21K miles from a dealer and the rotors and pads were shot. Made him turn the rotors and replace the pads before the deal was made.

Wife's car, so I hardly drive it, but I did the other day and noticed the brakes need servicing again, about 60k.

After reading the post, I'm gonna look at aftermarket rotors!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't let or had a rotor turned in 30 years.
You turn em they are going to warp.
No problems in that 30 years either for any of the cars/trucks I have owned. If the shop will not just put pads on as I want, I just move on down the road to another. Or put the pads on my self.

Turn them, get them good and thin, water does wonders to hot metal. Warped rotors.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds like a warped rotors issue to me as well!

The only fix I know of is to tighten the lug nuts with a "torque stick" if you are using an impact, or a torque wrench if by hand.

Tighten the lug nuts evenly so that after the rotor gets smoking hot and cools after you shut off, get out and walk away it wont warp.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,331 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.