Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,196 of 1,842 1 2 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a standard barrel Ruger M77 in 22-250 with a 3 x 9-40 Redfield (Leupold made) that shoots 55 grain factory loads like nobodys business. Preacher is more than welcome to use it to hang a fuzzy wind chime if he wants.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a similar dilema....but different. the daughter is 9 so next year may be her first year. But we are in the slug zone. I have thought and thought and in the end, I think I am going to go with 1 shell in a Beretta 390 with a rifled barrel/scope. I have that setup already. Or I go buy a 20 ga slug setup for her. Remember, I have 3 kids!

This sure seems more complicated than when I was a kid shooting a H&R break open 20 ga that only had a bead for a sight and shot 2 feet to the right and 16" low at 75 yards! I can still remember aiming at my first deer.....

Okay, right behind the front leg, 1/3 of the way up....now, compensate for the gun so go 2 feet back, up 16" and....right there...uh, I am aiming at this deer's tail...pull the trigger....right through the lungs!

I want her to be set up with something better than that.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There is time to shop.

grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mule1

Dave I have a set of RCBS 220 swift dies that I got in a trade I have no use for them . I would be more than happy to send them to you.

Dang, we should talk about this.

I started Nate on reduced recoil loads for 30-06, but he was 12.

They opened it to 10 yrs of age after Nate was already 12.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Does Joe have any favorite types of rifles from his Swamp Squid and Flying Bear days? smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can't remember for sure, but I think gophergunner was looking for .300 savage "stuff."

Maybe send a pm his way?

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey BM, I would get her a youth model 870, an rifled slug barrel andmall
GOOD recoil pad. The 20 with slugs kicks more than a guy thinks. When I took my sister to hunt, it was too much for her at 12, and she actually preferred the 30-30 to the 20ga. The 20 I had her shoot was an H&R single shot. Pretty light weight stuff.

870 is a heap better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I have a similar dilema....but different. the daughter is 9 so next year may be her first year. But we are in the slug zone. I have thought and thought and in the end, I think I am going to go with 1 shell in a Beretta 390 with a rifled barrel/scope. I have that setup already. Or I go buy a 20 ga slug setup for her. Remember, I have 3 kids!

This sure seems more complicated than when I was a kid shooting a H&R break open 20 ga that only had a bead for a sight and shot 2 feet to the right and 16" low at 75 yards! I can still remember aiming at my first deer.....

Okay, right behind the front leg, 1/3 of the way up....now, compensate for the gun so go 2 feet back, up 16" and....right there...uh, I am aiming at this deer's tail...pull the trigger....right through the lungs!

I want her to be set up with something better than that.
If you want to hold off on buying something for her, I've got a 20 ga. Youth Model 500 you're welcome to use. It's just a smoothbore with choke tubes, so you'd have to play around with it and come up with something that would group through it, but you're welcome to use it if you want. Just let me know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I can't remember for sure, but I think gophergunner was looking for .300 savage "stuff."

Maybe send a pm his way?
Thanks for putting out a head's up Tom, but I think MILES has me covered.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
My Joey boy is 9, too young for this year's white tail youth hunt. But next year I can take him deer hunting.

I started thinking about what I should have him use for a rifle, a light kicker for a little guy. Then I remembered it's legal to hunt deer in MN with .223, well I don't have one. But I do have a 22-250 and a 220 swift.

The 22-250 weighs over 13 lbs and is very long, very bulky and the scope is too big, 6.5-20.

But, the 220 swift is new, Ruger standard M77 MKII... has a nice burris FFII 3-9 on it, perfect.

I have a year to work up a deer load for it, for now I picked up a box of the only 220 swift fact ammo I could find. Winchester 50 gr soft points.

I'll run a rod and patch down the tube to measure the twist, I'm not sure what it would be, hoping it's 1 in 8 but I suppose it's a little slower.

I'll tell him my plan tonight and show him the rifle, get him all excited about it and next time I get a chance I'll help him shoot it so he can see what center fire is all about.

I have a nice little 722 (short action bolt) in .244 in the closet if you're interested.

Easier to handle a shorter shooting stick for them younger folks.

And maybe a spare knife gun or two for the other critters.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have a similar dilema....but different. the daughter is 9 so next year may be her first year. But we are in the slug zone.

Get a decent muzzle loader and mess around with lighter bullets and charges until you find something that addresses the recoil concerns.

I believe muzzle loaders are legal for shot gun zones in MN?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I think it's also legal to scope them up if you use them outside of the muzzle loader season.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right on both counts, dave.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The muzzle loader in shot gun slug zones idea doesn't always bode well with water fowlers and shotgunners in general because many of them are of the "bang-bang-bang-bang-bang" style of hunting.

For me, it's a no brainer. I'd get a decent muzzle loader, scope it up and practice/experiment with different loads until I had something really accurate that reached past the range of a shotgun slug.

Because I'm more of a single "Bang!" style of hunter.

I know some guys that would probably quit deer hunting if they couldn't burn up at least 1 whole box of shells during deer season because they need to "get some shooting in".

Man, that is so NOT me.

If I want to burn up a box of shells, it's gonna be prairie dogs or bench shooting at a range.

Spraying and praying at a running deer ...... no thanks.

But now I've drifted off subject.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree 100%.
I think I'm at 7 deer with the same box of shells. That box will go with me this year as well.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave,

I'm no expert on the .220 Swift but 1:14" twist rate is pretty universally standard. Unless it's a custom tube on that Ruger it's not going to be 1:8"...

Some factory built .220 Swift's may have a 1:12" twist, but I don't think you'll find any factory tubes twisted faster than that.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's a 14, I checked it last night.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Fishing trip was interesting. First day out my buddy George's s Evilrude (Not a spelling error) 115HP Ficht took a chit 3 miles down the flowage. Our best guess is that it's a power head issue? Good thing he has a great trollong motor (24V, 70 pound thrust Minkote). We limped back to the cabin, recharged the batteries and went fishing.

Even though we lost the big motor, we managed to boat some fish. Caught some nice crappies and Perch. Only kept 2 Walleyes. The rest were to small to keep as were the Northerns.

We hit peak color up North and had great weather. A couple of very windy days, but we used the islands to stay out of it.

George is on his way to the Evinrude dealer to buy a new ETEC as I write this. Expensive trip for him.

Be home for a week than the wife and I are going to head West. Going to see her brother in Utah and than on to Oregon to see our son and his family.

Tom, sorry to hear about your friend.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I have a similar dilema....but different. the daughter is 9 so next year may be her first year. But we are in the slug zone.

Get a decent muzzle loader and mess around with lighter bullets and charges until you find something that addresses the recoil concerns.

I believe muzzle loaders are legal for shot gun zones in MN?

I missed this the first time...that's a great idea. And yes, they're legal for use in shotgun and rifle zones.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I agree 100%.
I think I'm at 7 deer with the same box of shells. That box will go with me this year as well.

'course it's been a long time since I missed a deer until the first year I hunted with Dave. grin First year I was at chickenbuck.

Page 1,196 of 1,842 1 2 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.