Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speed [bleep]' kills ... every time.

Naw, it's the stoppin' that hurts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironbender

Now, where did I say that I disagreed?

Try to keep up, but in the meantime, GFY very much.

I didn't say you did.

Consider me [bleep] regardless.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Haven't read the whole thread, but I think the .220 Howell is a pretty interesting cartridge. And it looks like you can load it to 50ksi and still have the case full of powder, depending on what powder is selected.

Not real sure if you can do the same with a 7 mag or .300 win mag, let alone one of the Ultras. And I just don't like the idea of air space in the case when running a big boomer.

338 Ultra Mag:

180 Accubond.... 102 gr. H1000 CCI Primer

3.675 COL Avg 3421 fps

AD 1.8 ES 4.9 SD 2.5

Temp. 30 degrees

Of course, I'm no expert................ but I did sleep in my pickup last night.

grin grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mog75
So if I launched one 75 gr Amax at 3000, and another 75 gr amax at 3300 at the same time. The slower one would pass the faster one?

This absolutely sums up all the technology that has been exhibited here...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about technology. I know what works for me.

When the Ultra Mags first came out, I got one of each: 7mm, 300, and 338.[the 375 -which may be the best of the bunch- came later]

I got two boxes of factory shells, one with the 225 gr. Nosler Partition, and one with 250 gr. CoreLokt, for the 338. So...... I knew what velocities to expect from those two bullet weights and still be in the "safe" realm.

Because the Swift Scirroco impressed me in the 7 Ultra as far as killing well, I tried the 210 gr. in the 338.

92 gr. AA 3100............ 3280 fps ..... ext. mark
94 gr. RL 22...............3357........... too hot!
98 gr. RL 25...............3354........... warm
95 gr. IMR 7828............3286........... warm
96 gr. RL 25...............3162........... warm
90 gr. RL 22...............3205.... no pressure signs
92 gr. RL 22...............3290.... sticky bolt
94 gr. IMR 7828............3260..... BINGO!

My point is that if a man is willing [and able] to spend the time, he can develop good loads for his own rifles by following the instructions given in most manuals as far as detecting pressure signs.

Measuring case head expansion served me well with the 7 mm and 300 Ultras as there was no load data available when I started. The 300 only had one bullet loaded in factory ammo, and there was no factory ammo available for the 7 MM.

It was not necessary with the 338 Ultra since I had two factory loads to use as a reference.

The idea that it is dangerous for us to work up our own data because we have to load PAST the Max. to determine what is Max has a certain validity as a THEORY.

When someone can point to modern cartridges causing catastrophic failures in modern actions by going to the point of extractor marks and sticky bolts and then backing off, I'll revisit my ideas on the subject.

As far as 2700 fps being adequate for most hunting, I'll agree with that with one caveat:

IF the hunter has ABSOLUTE confidence in the accuracy and killing power of the rifle,cartridge combo at the ranges he limits himself to.

I don't like being limited because of inferior equipment.

I shot a 308 for 35 years. grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ken,

Pressure and heat are definitely linked, but by no means directly correlated in rifle cartridges. My example of the .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum is a good example. The SAAMI pressure level for both is over 60,000 psi (as I recall 62K for the .308 and 64K for the .300). The .300 burns out barrels quicker not because of 2000 more psi but because the duration of the heat from its larger powder charges lasts longer during each shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pressure isn't the main cause of barrel erosion. � heat's the main culprit, and the greater the powder charge, the longer heat erodes steel on each shot.

� the temperature that�s inseparably associated with the pressure.

We don�t instrument test barrels to measure and to record temperatures, so we measure and record pressures in test barrels, and measure the associated temperatures in other laboratory paraphernalia (where we find, inter alia, that the temperatures associated with double-base powders [mixtures of nitrocellulose and 20�40% nitroglycerin, with an oxidizable stabilizer such as mineral jelly] are 400� F to 1,200� F higher than the temperatures that are associated with single-base powders at the same maximum temperatures).

Accustomed to measuring and recording pressures instead of temperatures in test barrels, we say as a matter of interior-ballistics short-hand, that it�s the pressures that erode barrels. But as John has just said, it�s actually the higher temperatures inseparably associated with these higher pressures that erode barrels.

Big case? Big fire. Little case? Little fire.

Pressure shmessure.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Big case? Big fire. Little case? Little fire.

Pressure shmessure.

Travis

I love it when the discussion gets all scientific like that.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm sure Kenny is ringing the 1000 yard gong weekly with VLD's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Measuring case head expansion served me well with the 7 mm and 300 Ultras as there was no load data available when I started. The 300 only had one bullet loaded in factory ammo, and there was no factory ammo available for the 7 MM.

It was not necessary with the 338 Ultra since I had two factory loads to use as a reference.

The case head expansion method of measuring pressure is notoriously unreliable, especially when no factory ammo is available for comparison.

When someone can point to modern cartridges causing catastrophic failures in modern actions by going to the point of extractor marks and sticky bolts and then backing off, I'll revisit my ideas on the subject.

Why would it take a catastrophic failure for someone to realize they are over the top?

A round may cause enough pressure to get stuck in the chamber, which may end a hunt. Sounds like reason enough for me to stay away from crazy people loads.

As far as 2700 fps being adequate for most hunting, I'll agree with that with one caveat:

IF the hunter has ABSOLUTE confidence in the accuracy and killing power of the rifle,cartridge combo at the ranges he limits himself to.

How would an extra 400 fps change this statement?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, what kind of barrel life do you expect with your 220 cartridge compared to 220 swift .

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if I loaded a 250 Savage with the max charge of IMR-3031 at 50K (case at 73% fill) and then loaded a 250 Savage with as much H50BMG that could fit in the case (110%), but at only 35K, the case with twice as much powder would do less damage to the barrel because it's at a lower pressure?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your first two questions are frankly not worthy of answers.

The third is borderline, but I'll give you a break:

With identical bullets, 400 fps more velocity flattens the trajectory enough to be meaningful, not to mention increasing the bullet's killing range.

Neither of these factors are important to a man twisting turrets and poking holes in paper or ringing a gong.

They make a difference to a hunter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

With identical bullets, 400 fps more velocity flattens the trajectory enough to be meaningful, not to mention increasing the bullet's killing range.

Neither of these factors are important to a man twisting turrets and poking holes in paper or ringing a gong.

You have got to be kidding me! Another [bleep] retard Texan on ignore.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always good to know there are shooters out there who still develop handloads by pushing brass to the max, then backing off a smidgen.

Measuring CHE can work, but only if you have something to compare it to. There is no "magic" amount of expansion that guarantees safe pressures, because cartridge brass varies too much in hardness. This has been proven a number of times over the decades, but apparently you missed the memos.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

You have got to be kidding me! Another [bleep] retard Texan on ignore.

I don't use the "ignore" feature. Reading posts from idiots is sometimes entertaining.

I just put the little magnifying glass next to their names to remind me that the poster is prone to idiotic posts.

They are free.

You have one on my screen. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My guess is if you load a .50 BMG to the gills with 3031 it will have a short barrel life due to pressure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always good to know there are shooters out there who still develop handloads by pushing brass to the max, then backing off a smidgen.

Measuring CHE can work, but only if you have something to compare it to. There is no "magic" amount of expansion that guarantees safe pressures, because cartridge brass varies too much in hardness. This has been proven a number of times over the decades, but apparently you missed the memos.

Nope, I got the memos. And I have the manuals that STILL offer it as ONE way to monitor excessive pressures.

Matter of fact, the first batches of Ultra Mag brass was REALLY prone to expansion. And extractor marks in factory ammo was not uncommon in the 300. Not so much with the 338 as I recall.

I measured the case heads of factory loads in the 300 and 338 BEFORE and AFTER firing. That was my basis for comparison. I pulled bullets and powder from some and used that brass to compare expansion in my loads.

Do you know of any modern catastrophic failures of rifle actions due strictly to excessive pressure?

And where did you read that I "backed off a smidgen"?

Once data became available, I saw that the loads I settled on as max for my rifles were less, - or in one case, equal to - the max loads in Nosler and Hodgden data.

Last time I looked, the 210 gr., 338 Scirroco was still off the market. I called the owner of Swift and pointed out that the starting load for a 200 gr. NBT was well over max for a 210 Scirroco, and , in the absence of any data for the Swift, lots of guys might do like me and start from there.

I don't know if that played a part in his decision, or not, but he DID offer me a box of bullets for free. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You were applying pressure and wore him out?

I am..........disturbed.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.