Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That BP&J thing got me to thinking. (Always a dangerous thing) What's your favorite way to eat Spam? I like it on white bread with mustard, American cheese, and slices of onion, broiled in the toster oven, open faced.
<br>
<br>When camping I chop it, brown it in a skillet, and toss it into the Cheese and Mac.
<br>
<br>To me Spam is as much a part of the camping trip as Coleman lanterns and campfires.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
only way we ever figured out to make it editable was to slice it thin dip it in beaten egg and roll it in crushed crackers and fry it. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I had to eat loads of it in the '30s and during "The War," my favorite Spam recipe was somebody else eating it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can tolerate it diced up, and done corn beef hash style, with onion, pepper, tomatoe chunks and beaten eggs, diced potataoes etc. The object is to disguise it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to make sure I understand you -- to make it EDIBLE, you "EDITED" it with eggs and cracker crumbs? (And "published" it in the frying-pan!)
<br>
<br>Creative!

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chop it up an mix it into a can of pork and beans. Sort of a faux beans and weenies.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Guys I have one favorite way to deal with Spam: When shopping in my favorite grocery store I have learned to not be too picky about brand, what I do is locate where the spam is on the shelf and I either turn around or pick up a little speed just in the event of an earth quake occouring at the precise moment I am next to the Spam. This approach to avoiding Spam find it's way into my shopping cart through an act of God has worked quite well so far. The other way I avoid dealing with the stuff is to feed it to my dog. she will eat it if she is real hungry and I haven't given her any thing other than dry Wally world cheap food for a week or so. Spam ranks just under Lutfisk as bad food.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I take it you are not a fan of green eggs and spam? I can understand why old soldiers who were fed a steady diet of the stuff would stear clear of it. I know spam is the food that everyone loves to hate but do you have a recipe that can doctor it up or disguise it?
<br>My emergency food stash contains a lot of spam and spreadables because I know that my teenage son won't eat either unless it is a true emergency. [Linked Image] He robbed my stash once without telling me and cleaned out all of the Ramen noodles, Cliff Bars, canned chicken and tuna etc. He even eat the MRI's!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a Spam, potted meat (cajun P�t� ), vienna sausage kind of guy at heart. I really like Spam just sliced between two slices of plain white bread, nothing else. Funny thing about Spam I find it perfect just as it is and the bread is really just something to hold it in. Go figure.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
sorry about that ken. guess that is a side effect of eatting spam. tom [Linked Image]

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try it you'll like it...
<br>
<br>
<br>Slice thin and fry in pan with "Yoshida's" teriyaki sauce.
<br>
<br>The trick is to get it fried just right to make the sauce gooey. Good stuff.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spike,
<br>
<br>As a fellow 'halole', I also like it sliced thin, but fried to darn near a crisp. (gets most the grease out at least)
<br>
<br>Then it's time for 'spam and rice balls'. A Hawaiian delicacy for those not familiar with Hawaiian cuisine. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Or, it can be substituted for the hambuger in a 'local-moco". "Broke da mouth, eh bra"?
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmmmmmmm -- I can't help wondering. Is a pathologically warped sense of taste a requisite for eating Spam, or a result?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taste???? thought we were talking about Spam. [Linked Image]

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A' bra, ya like go Zippy's? We get Malasada's? You know da kin?
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>You think these guys would like Ling he moi (sp?????) (dried salted plumbs). My favorite was ginger root and dried lemon peel. Oh man, having a craving now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Point taken.
<br>
<br>I stand rebuked.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It isn't necessary, but it helps.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still having a hard time understanding you guys talking about Spam as though it is actually food! Doesn't the label say something about "only to be used in times of dire emergency or self defense?"[Linked Image]-
<br>I understand that the jelly in the can could be used as an industrial lubricant in a pinch, but the only thing I ever used it for was as a replacement for Ex-Lax. [Linked Image] Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's a miracle substance. When you're done waterproofing your boots with it you can eat it for lunch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PDS,
<br>
<br>I like it fried with eggs and covered with salsa & cayanne pepper sauce over toast or potatos! It is one of my favorite hunting breakfasts! If you can't kill the deer with your rifle, you can gas them to death after an hour or so.
<br>
<br>Of course, I am also about the only person who I've ever met who actually liked the canned ham and eggs that used to come in a case of C-rations. My troops used to say that I was like "mikie" in the cerial commercial, let "davie" try it, he'll eat anything, even those god awful green eggs and ham. Go figure!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS It is even better if you drink your very hot coffee from a canteen cup without anything to insulate the handle. Damn that was hot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,279
Posts18,505,096
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.