Print Thread
Hop To
P
paul105 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
NOTE, THIS POST IS ABOUT STRAIGHT WALLED HANDGUN CASES ONLY --- BOTTLE NECK RIFLE CASES ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

The following occurred to me as I read the �Brass trimming question� thread.

Has anyone experienced a straight walled revolver/pistol cartridge failing to chamber that could be directly attributed to the case itself being too long?

In a semi auto, I�m talking about the case mouth stopping at the end of the chamber causing an out of battery condition. In a revolver or single shot, the cartridge not seating deep enough to close the action or rotate the cylinder (or thought to cause an overpressure situation due to impeding bullet release).

I�m not talking about failures to chamber resulting from various loaded cartridge problems (i.e., wrinkled cases, improper crimp, shaved lead in crimp, oversized bullets, overall length, nose profile, etc.).

I�ll start with my experience:

I have several thousand .45 ACP cases from multiple mfgs, that have been shot I don�t know how many times. I have multiple thousand .45 Colt and .44 Mag cases from maybe four different mfgs that have seen considerable use/reloads. Also have an original batch (now retired) of 500 Starline .475 LB cases that were loaded at least 20 times. Also have 9mm, .38spcl, .357 Mag, .44 spcl, 40 S&W, 10mm, that have seen substantial use, but not as much as the .44s, 45s, 475s.

None of these cases have ever been trimmed and to the best of my knowledge, I have never had a failure to chamber due to a case that was �too long (or one too short to fire). In fact, the .475 LB cases actually got shorter over time.

Most of the new straight walled cases that I�ve measured are at or below the minimum recommended trim length.

NOTE, THIS POST IS ABOUT STRAIGHT WALLED HANDGUN CASES ONLY --- BOTTLE NECK RIFLE CASES ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 10/03/13.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never had a case be too long to chamber, 38SPL, 357MAG, 41MAG, 44MAG, and 45ACP. I have checked several, and in 45ACP many once fired were actually below minimum dimensions. In the 38SPL I load for my S&W 52-2 I do trim them all to .010 below max for consistency. I normally have the necks crack before any too long of case happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had a straightwall pistol case fail to chamber because the case was too long.

I have had them fail to chamber because repeated heavy loads have swelled the case at the base and the sizing die doesn't go down far enough to size the case there.

I generally keep loading handgun brass until the case mouth splits. I have no doubt I have cases that have been loaded well over 20 times and some that have seen repeated heavy loads.

Out of curiousity I'll have to measure some cases, but in my experience straightwall pistol cases don't need to be trimmed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Has anyone experienced a straight walled revolver/pistol cartridge failing to chamber that could be directly attributed to the case itself being too long?

Nope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by s4s4u

Nope.

Me neither.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never measured a straight wall pistol case. I've been reloading for handguns since 1980....I haven't had that experience yet.

Regards,

Tom
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No. Never.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul,
In nearly 40 years of loading straight walled cartridges, I have only trimmed one batch of 50. That batch wasn't too long but I was anal enough to think that if they were "exactly" the same length, crimp and accuracy would be better. The crimp probably was better; better accuracy was undetectable.

I reload mostly for revolvers, but have never seen a case get too long to chamber. Mine seem to increase hardly at all or actually get shorter.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 160user, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 5,973 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,819
Posts18,536,870
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.