�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dino poop?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stepped in something that looked like that one time. Very interesting rock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe some variant of a Septarian nodule.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool rock. Don't know what it is, but I like it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe a weird geode.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
Maybe a weird geode.

actually yeah sorta i think...looks like chalcedony of some sort.....atleast the striped stuff in this photo should be:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 10/03/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I looks like it could be a slightly darker variety of chalcedony rose or like that. May I ask what specific region or geology formation you found it in?

If you have a rock or mineral show/club near by they could help you id it and perhaps pay you a little cash for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prolly not worth much.....neat as hell and i woulda picked it up to but these kinds of quartz rocks are some of the most common semi precious stones to be found....even large ones....unless they are something odd like the Montana Moss Agates we have or some of the various jaspers found around the US(and other countries) they just arent worth anything and even the odd ones usually arent worth that much compared to alot of other semi-precious stones....

Last edited by rattler; 10/03/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup. Looks like a geode to me too. They are best once cut and polished. Either just in half or slices. If you are careful, they can be cut thin enough to transmit light through them.

A lot of really nice images of geodes HERE.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool pictures. Thanks for the link!

LOL
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 44magtrapper
I looks like it could be a slightly darker variety of chalcedony rose or like that. May I ask what specific region or geology formation you found it in?

If you have a rock or mineral show/club near by they could help you id it and perhaps pay you a little cash for it.

Picked it up hunting near Heppner Oregon. It was laying on top of the ground in a grassy meadow near camp. Someone may have picked it up somewhere else and forgot to take it home.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Looks knappable....:D

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustinNC

at the very least the striped stuff in the pic i copied would be....not 100% sure of the rest, i assume its likely largely the same stuff but i dont know without having my hands on it...

Originally Posted by kend

Picked it up hunting near Heppner Oregon. It was laying on top of the ground in a grassy meadow near camp. Someone may have picked it up somewhere else and forgot to take it home.

as you prolly know Oregon has a hell of a volcanic history and how it likely formed is in a hollow in a lava flow that filled with silica rich ground water and later the softer volcanic rock eroded away leaving the harder silicon dioxide....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to you could find a really smooth solid stone, like one from a creek bed and gently hammer off some of the cortex surrounding the formation and get a better pitch what's in there. It looks like you might have a pretty decent knife blade in there!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rattler

at the very least the striped stuff in the pic i copied would be....not 100% sure of the rest, i assume its likely largely the same stuff but i dont know without having my hands on it...

as you prolly know Oregon has a hell of a volcanic history and how it likely formed is in a hollow in a lava flow that filled with silica rich ground water and later the softer volcanic rock eroded away leaving the harder silicon dioxide....

You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "hydrothermal precipitation". wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rattler

You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "hydrothermal precipitation". wink

and how many here would have understood it....me you and maybe a handful more laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Yup. Looks like a geode to me too. They are best once cut and polished. Either just in half or slices. If you are careful, they can be cut thin enough to transmit light through them.

A lot of really nice images of geodes HERE.

In college a friend picked up a geode at some tourist trap during a road trip. Somehow I convinced the cival engineering dept to let me use their diamond saw to cut the geode in half. Unfortunatley it wasn't one of the hollow geodes, but still pretty neat to see that mass of crystals on the inside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, a geode or more locally known as a thunder egg.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That doesn't look like a geode to me. Most geodes, or at least the ones I've seen, are more symmetrically round and have quartz deposits insides. That looks like some type of volcanic deposit. The yellow looks a lot like sulfur.
That thing in the center looks somewhat like striped agate. It almost looks like something that just got bonded to the other deposit but not formed with it.

Upon looking again, it could be broken segment of some type of cave formation like a stalagmite or stalagtite. That would explain the striped formation in the center(layers) and a lot of cave limestone formations have some pretty vivid colors due to other elements being deposited.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.