Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woods_walker
I use a tractor with a box blade with very good results. In my application an ATV does not have the required mass to get the job done.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ My driveway is 750' long and the above does a good job.

FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Would a compact tractor do the job?

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Would a compact tractor do the job?

go our local scrap metal dealer and by a piece of heavy I beam10' long tow that behind your pu it'll do the job better then a RR tie.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tractor and a box blade or land plane. Right tool for the job.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Roundup works well on gravel. I go through a lot of Roundup already keeping grass and weeds away from the house and the walkways. I buy it at Sam's Club and use a backpack sprayer. It would take a lot of Roundup and a quite a bit of time to do the whole drive, so I'm looking for another solution.

Not if you do it right. Buy the generic roundup at tractor supply company, if you catch it on sale it's $29 for 2.5 gallons of the 41% concentrate. That's enough to kill 10 acres of grass. Buying the branded roundup in small quantities is huge waste of money, the generic stuff is dirt cheap in bulk. I have an electric boom sprayer for the back of my Atv, the tank holds 15 gallons and the boom sprays a 9' swath. It takes me 12 minutes to empty the tank along a trail 1 mile long, so if your driveway is a quarter mile long it would take 3 minutes to spray. A similar setup could be put on your UTV for a couple hundred bucks, you don't really need the boom, they make boom less nozzles that work fine.

Your alternative is to buy a tractor & box blade which is hugely expensive, or hire it done.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.
Sprayer $100.
You can hold the wand yourself out over the hood and spray the center of the road really easy.
One tip wide spray nozzles are easy to use and cost little.
If you want to take help, you could have your wife drive slow and you could pump and spray with your backpack sprayer and save the $100 dollars.

Roundup (the real stuff) I buy from local farmer buds. They buy it in 300 gallon shuttles.
It's VERY cheap this way. Like $30 bucks a gallon for the good stuff. A gallon of roundup, used correctly, goes a long way.

The last thing I will say is...a backpack sprayer, used by us homeowners (read rookies grin) is about the most inefficient and expensive way there is to spray "stuff".
We homeowners think we have to drench the weed or grass till the spray runs off.
We don't.
Watch a farm sprayer sometime...........they are spraying at 10 miles an hour and just a mist is hitting the ground.
That little mist on the intended victim kills very well. Homeowners overkill way to much, then wonder why it's so expensive to spray.

Have Dog

Will Travel

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I bought a 60" DR Powergrader to take care of practice fields for our local girls softball association. I've also used it for various other jobs with our construction company with good results. I agree with one of earlier posters that if there is a lot of grass, this won't work very well the first time, but once it is removed, it should do a good job. I put a cast iron grate on mine for additional weight, and pull it with a Polaris 350 4 wheeler with no problem. I did break a weld once where the plate that holds the adjustment wheels is, but that was my fault. Had mine about 10 years and its been a reliable piece of equipment.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Rent a tractor and a Harley Power Box rake for 1/2 day. Should last 3-5 years 'til you have to do it again.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.