Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by seal_billy

Thanks I was hopeing it wasn't just my $hitty shooting. So where do I need to practice? 10yrds 15 yrds?

More like 2yds to five yds. Think of the distance you would be in a confrontation. Five yards is across a pretty good size living room. Two yards is the most likely distance.
As ltppowell said, "point blank".

Start slow drawing the pistol from how ever you conceal it. Practice grabbing it the same way, every time. Remember, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Speed comes later. You want to build muscle memory.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Get a Glock. 1911's are for fondlers and revolvers are for people who like to clean guns. Wingshooters rock.

I agree but I'd add full size M&P's and XD's to the list.

Travis

After my daughter bought her XDM, I'm a fan of them.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Start slow drawing the pistol from how ever you conceal it. Practice grabbing it the same way, every time. Remember, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Speed comes later. You want to build muscle memory.

Ed

hmmmm seems i heard this somewhere before whistle

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dang echoes...

You and Keith coming to East Texas early?

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 10/07/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thats the plan, you set dates yet?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
First weekend in April. Fri, Sat, Sun, the 4th, 5th, and 6th is what we've been talking about.

Hoping someone who knows how to cook shows up. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ill pencil it in then.....at the moment even if Keith cant make it the plan is for the wife and i to fly to Houston and she will visit her sister and ill either come up with tex n cal or rent a car.....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have and have carried a number of semi automatic pistols, 1911s Browning hi powers, a firestar in 9mm and Makarovs to name a few, but nothing is more reliable than the ubiquitous J frame revolver. It will, and does, fire every single time, without fail. No FTF or FTE ever. Add that to being small and light and you have a proven winner.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Full size 1911, IWB holster right side. I find no cons with it except for when I'm working on the car, it's a real pain to lay down on the concrete with it on your side.

I did a couple of the small plastic guns and was never happy with their performance so I forced myself to get comfortable with carrying the 1911 and it didn't take long. Now I feel naked if I don't have it on.....kinda like when your used to wearing a watch and ya forget to put it on when you go out............

This.

I carry a 1911 in a good holster and have no trouble concealing it even in warm weather. A good IWB tuckable holster and a good belt are key. I can conceal my 1911 with my milt Sparks VM-II with just jeans and a tee shirt.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3" J frame is usually on or about my person

[Linked Image]

It ain't pretty but the mechanicals are quite up to par

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If you want a semi, look at a Glock. Very reliable semi. I personally carry an H&K USP. The grip angle "fits" me better than the Glock and there are some other aspects of the USP I personally prefer. You need to find a few reliable sidearms and shoot them and then pick what works for you.

I would suggest you get some GOOD training. And no offense meant here, but I am not talking about the standard NRA safety course. I am suggesting good defensive pistol training that teaches you to carry, draw, and fire in a number of different situations.

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/08/13.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First weekend in April. Fri, Sat, Sun, the 4th, 5th, and 6th is what we've been talking about.

Ed

You rang?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Ed

You rang?

I was hoping you would grace us with your presence and cooking skills.

grin

PM me with a phone number I can reach you at.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
What do you carry and do you like it. pros and cons. I just bought a keltec pf9. I don't know $hit about handguns and not a lot about rifles, that's why I came to the campfire originally. Every time i did a search on a rifle or ballistics the campfire would pop up. But im learning more about how to be a better wise azz. I guess I'm a blacksheep here, forgive me for I am a wingshooter. I read good reviews on the pf9 and it was cheap and thin, for all I know its a pos but when you pay 175 bucks a week for family health care you buy cheap $hit.

Family needs always come first ... ALWAYS !

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.