Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
robthom Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I will need a pair of insulated boots very soon. The type of boots I am thinking of need to provide warmth down to -20 to -30 degrees centigrade and provide support.

I suffer from cold feet, due to sweaty feet problem. Fortunately, the environment is cold and dry. Also, the boots do not have to be safety type steel toecaps (work boots are provided for site).

So, for those people which spend time outside in cold temperatures - farmers etc., what do you recommend?

My initial search shows the Kenetrek Mountain extreme with 1000 gram thinsulate and Danner Canadian boots with 600 gram thinsulate insulation.

I believe the Kenetrek boots, made in Italy, cannot be re-soled, a big drawback with expensive boots but the Danner can be. I generally wear Meindl boots but the look of their Garmisch puts me off - again, can these be re-soled?

Thanks in advance

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you going to be physically active at those temps, or standing around? Foot ware that is appropriate when you are active is not the same as when you are inactive, and vice versa.

I prefer mountaineering boots when active, and PAC boots when inactive

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The old "bunny" boots or military surplus boots. I don't know what their real name is, but I have 2 pair. One is black, rated for minus 30. The others are white, rated for minus 70.

R
robthom Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I am going to be fairly active - walking around, some hiking / trekking. It is not a stand hunt type of situation. It is more a case of surviving the bitter cold outside of work.

Most of the ground is flattish, but undulating to varying degrees but there is a big mountain range right behind my future office location, which I have visited in the Summertime.

I thought about Pac-boots as well, but wondered about ankle support an stability on slippery inclines.

As I mentioned, fortunately, the cold is a dry cold there, which is much better than the UK and Norway which feels much colder due to the humidity.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Maybe the Danner Ft Lewis 600G with safety toe?

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
The old "bunny" boots or military surplus boots. I don't know what their real name is, but I have 2 pair. One is black, rated for minus 30. The others are white, rated for minus 70.

This.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would go with 1600-2000 gram thinsulate insulation for that cold.
600gr aint gonna cut it unless your moving constantly.
Oh,and sweaty feet need 100% wool socks,or nothing works.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bunny boots, aka VB (vapor barrier) boots.

Generally milsurp.

Best thing for sweaty feet is an aerosol antiperspirant.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...5&zmas=3&zmac=6&zmap=1605399

You might want to look around for a cheaper price but these things are warm.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
they are expensive, but I haven't found anything better than Schnee's, out of Bozeman, MT

if you're going to have to get your foot in a stirrup, get the packer...otherwise, just take your pick. get a spare inner bootie so you can dry one out while wearing the other if you've got sweaty feet....and spend some money on good wool socks.

http://www.schnees.com/category/boots-shoes

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like you might oughtta try to keep your feet from sweating?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by viking

This. They have no equal, nothing else is even in the ballpark for real subzero cold. I've done hard rucksack marches at minus 10 or 20F, without socks (socks are stashed in my parka). When I got where I was going, I'd take the boots off and pour sweat out of them, then dry them out as best I could with a bandana, then don the dry socks and stand around on ice and snow with warm toes. You HAVE to get your feet out of them periodically, or you'll get trench foot. You also need to blow a little air through that valve on the ankle and submerge the boot and check for bubbles. It the boot had a hole, we trashed them.

In 1975 pipeline workers would hand a GI four one-hundred dollar bills for a pair of white bunny boots. They are that good.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bunny boots are very good and better if you put a felt insole. Carry extra insoles and socks and the sweaty foot thing is mitigated somewhat.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by fluffy
I would go with 1600-2000 gram thinsulate insulation for that cold.
600gr aint gonna cut it unless your moving constantly.
Oh,and sweaty feet need 100% wool socks,or nothing works.

Celsius.

That's like -10 Mineotanheight

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For my last deer hunt I purchased a pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX 1000g. (they make a 1200g version too I think) Excellent boots. Perfectly dry and warm. I too have the cold foot problem and found these boots comfy in wet snotty cold temps and not overly hot when walking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will second SteveNO's idea with the Schnee's.

Mine are about 5-6 years old and just had new bottoms put on them last year. Wear them everyday Winter-early Spring, the rubber finally started to crack.

Great boots, most comfortable pac type boot I've ever worn.

These should work for the really cold days.

http://www.schnees.com/product/2613/schnees-footwear

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since you mentioned you'll be in hiking terrain with a mountain nearby, I'd suggest something specifically made with that type of application.

I have an older version of these and they're superb:
http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/nepal-evo-gtx

Otherwise, for something lighter, maybe these would suffice (footwear is a *very* personal decision):
http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/lhotse-gtx

I've frost-nipped my feet too many times while in cold, remote places and I know I'm now more susceptible to cold-weather injuries. So, I ensure my footwear is more than adequate to keep my toes warm.

I have more boots than I'd care to admit, but they're like rifles - you have to choose the right "tool" for the job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should add that you will also want to invest in a boot dryer.

An absolute must if you have sweaty feet and wear the boots everyday.

Peet makes one that is about $40-50.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mickey Mouse boots. aka surplus.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.