Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I was wondering about a barrel change for a Remington 710, but i understand the barrels of Rem710's were PRESSED in and not screwed in,so does that mean the barrel cant be swapped out?

So if thats the case, does anyone know how safe it is to have a rifle rebored to lets say from a 7 mm mag to a 9.3x62 Mauser or a .375 Ruger? The cartridge lengths would match and feed properly,but would the barrel be made to thin to run hot loads through it? Has anyone ever had a rifle rebored before? I found a company called JES that rebores rifles to .35+ calibers.

Does anybody have any experience with the Remington model 710 and changing its barrel/caliber?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Remington has already discontinued the 710 so to customize one is like stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. You need to start with a better rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have enough experience with a 710 to know I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole - both factory new or even attempting to customize one..

.,but would the barrel be made to thin to run hot loads through it?.
That rifle can barely contain the loads it left the factory for, let alone anything "hot".. Do not even consider it.. Seriously - use it as-is or find a M700 action to build a rifle on. You'll live longer..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thanks for all the input!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
Remington has already discontinued the 710 so to customize one is like stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. You need to start with a better rifle.

i understand

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
does anyone think a 7mm mag rebored to 9.3x62 would have enough barrel left to run factory 9.3 loads through it??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by realitycheck
does anyone think a 7mm mag rebored to 9.3x62 would have enough barrel left to run factory 9.3 loads through it??
That obviously depends on the barrel's original contour and who made it.. Some manufacturers have used rather slim barrels for the 7mm, and others have used a more stout contour.

We would need to know dimensions of the barrel you're considering first.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I wish i could tell you more im just not that adept at measuring thinkgs like that, but if it helps,the barrel is a remington 710,and it does look slimmer compared to the model 700 in 7mag caliber

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
It's a POS, dump it. It has a plastic receiver with steel inserts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wish i could tell you more im just not that adept at measuring thinkgs like that, but if it helps,the barrel is a remington 710,and it does look slimmer compared to the model 700 in 7mag caliber
Please, for your own safety, don't even consider it.. And frankly, I'm not aware of a single gunsmith (including me) that will touch that project..

Find a M700, and start over.. Seriously..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Please, for your own safety, don't even consider it.. And frankly, I'm not aware of a single gunsmith (including me) that will touch that project..

Find a M700, and start over.. Seriously..

...and I wouldn't look at a Browning ABolt, either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What?? And give up all that pu$$y and prestige??? SACRILEDGE!!

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
H
+1 on the A-Bolt !!!!!!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
You dont have to worry about doing it because i already found someone that can. I found a barrel maker that can swap barrels and press the new one in for me. I even found a place that will rebore the original barrel to 9.3mm,and i wouldnt be the first.

I wont try a Browning though,thanks.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Sacrilege

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
To each his own....but I just hate throwing good money after bad........Some people have a fetish for plastic I guess.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree with the comments regarding the shortcomings of the 710, but as was stated; its your money/choice. That being said, you should RUN from anyone that tells you he can rebore/rechamber a 7mm Magnum to 9.3x62. He is either incompetent or is deceiving you. The magnum chamber is considerably larger in diameter than the 9.3x62. Any attempt to fire a 9.3x62 cartridge in a chamber that size will result in a ruptured case. This will likely injure the shooter and will destroy a perfectly good plastic tomato stake.

Allen

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dedseven
I agree with the comments regarding the shortcomings of the 710, but as was stated; its your money/choice. That being said, you should RUN from anyone that tells you he can rebore/rechamber a 7mm Magnum to 9.3x62. He is either incompetent or is deceiving you. The magnum chamber is considerably larger in diameter than the 9.3x62. Any attempt to fire a 9.3x62 cartridge in a chamber that size will result in a ruptured case. This will likely injure the shooter and will destroy a perfectly good plastic tomato stake.

Not to mention the bolt-face size differential..

Methinks the OP is dead set on 'customizing' that 710, for reasons that simply cannot be understood here. (as a local body shop owner once told me, ..."you can polish a turd and polish a turd and polish a turd - but in the end you got a turd.."

If he's 'found someone' that is going to do a re-bore on that barrel I'd love to know who - so I can ensure I stay FAR, FAR away from that outfit...

Last, son, there's excellent advice from many here regarding that rifle. These are people who know a bit about what they're sayin'. You'd be a much wiser person if you'd listen to half of 'em ..

Now - I'm OUTTA here...but good luck sir, you're gonna need it - rather badly, I'm afraid..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/10/13. Reason: one other tidbit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess after all this, all we can do is ask for pictures when its all said and done. Final cost would be nice to know as well, in case I ever want to do this........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." (As my old friend Joe Harz used to say.)

My gut feeling is this guy is being obstinate now, and will forge ahead with his dangerous idea just to prove us wrong. He and his unscrupulous gunsmith may well pull it off, and make a few rounds go downrange, and they'll stand there making donkey ears at us going "nanny nanny poo poo"! Then, some day in the not to distant future, that cheap-ass rig will let go in a dramatic fashion and injure someone. We are too mature here to laugh at him then, but don't ask us to be pall bearers either.

I can imagine Remington lawyers sitting around fretting about the day the lawsuits start to roll in related to that 710 abomination.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,116
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.