Print Thread
Hop To
#8146809 10/10/13
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a Baikal 12ga/6.5swede combo. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on how these guns are. I have only owned one Baikal and it is the Bounty hunter coach gun with the 45-70 inserts. It actually shoots fairly well but it is also a good gun to take along when you are sponsoring some of the guys from work to a weekend of shooting because it wears them out pretty quick. The 6.5 swede just kind of intrigued me so I thought I'd see how it works. I pick the gun up Tuesday so I'll need a range day next weekend and then I might just haul it up to Montana on my Elk/deer/bird hunt the following weekend.

Bart

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one in 12ga 3" and 7X57R. It was a tack driver. The triggers are awful, but the guns are strong. Some don't like them, but most of those guys were expecting Merkels for peanuts.

Get a picatinny rain that mounts onto an 11mm grooved receiver; the better airgun ones with the retainer screw work well.

Then, mount a scope with QR rings and have fun with your new BBF! laugh laugh cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
It's pretty hard to beat the price, the gun, shipping and transfer fee all in still under $500. The savage 20 ga / 223 was over $550 gun only. I know the workmanship and quality won't match up to the high dollar stuff, but I just wanted a gun that I could maybe shoot a sage hen, grouse, or hun and still be able to take a crack at a coyote or deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bart...

They work, and mine was very accurate. I have friends who had them in 308, and they both had the same opinion. They're great bang for the buck.

One guy on the boards hates them and might jump all over this. I sometimes wonder what he expected and whether he mounted the scope properly with decent mounts???

Still, all makers make clunkers. I saw a Baretta Gold Sable that came with a test target and all in 9,3X74R. It had one small problem. It wouldn't quite chamber a round in the top barrel. It had never had the finish reamer run into it. crazy

You have a strong versatile combo gun. Have Fun!!

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Recently acquired an MP94 12/06. Used an airgun 11mm mount, with
handloads it did about 1-11/4. That was with those 15# triggers.
The gun would hardly open. I decided to make things a little more user friendly. I slimmed the stock and re-checkered, refitted the hinge assembly for a reasonable opening effort, added a Decelerater pad and then went to the internals. It appears the sears and hammers were cut by a file into a fishhook angle. I spent quite a bit of time
getting the pull down to about 5# and reasonably crisp. Polished the moving parts and lubed well. The moving parts seem to be of good quality steel based on the spark test. I cut and shaped some EPDM to make side rails like the Valmet but they excerted too much pressure and as the barrels are not rigidly attached at mid point, POI was changed too much.
I did not observe the normal rising of POI when shooting a couple of quick ones. The rifle barrel appears to rigidly attached at the muzzle, but is able to slide on the shotgun barrel muzzle. This would I believe minimize some of the POI change of the normally rigidly connected combo barrels.
Wasn't trying to make anything custom, just correcting some of the "Hand-fitting" issues that would be expected at such a low price. Now, if I could reduce it's weight to about 6 lbs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wally...

The weight is why I got rid of the one I had, and I'll be getting rid of my Valmet 412S for the same reason.

It sounds like you refined the Russian beast a bit. wink

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
PM to you!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like my Baikal 94 in 12Ga./.308.See my post below for a range report with my results.
I found the BKL one piece scope mount to be really great and solid.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 10/13/13.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
M
M
I have one in 22 mag/20 gauge. Built like a brick but not a shower by any means. Used an 11mm offset BKL airgun mount for a Bushnell red dot. Good brush gun for birds and rabbits. The 22 mag will also take a coyote.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I picked up the Baikal today, it is a bit of a club, but it looks ok and I will haul it with me to Montana tomorrow and try shooting it and see how it does. If I happen to come across a sage hen or a grouse I will definitely blood it, but I will have to wait to see how the 6.5 shoots before I try it out on a deer, but maybe a coyote will show up who knows.

Bart

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
luv2safari.
PM to you.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
luv2safari
PM to ya

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 17,959 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,959
Posts18,539,612
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.