Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,202 of 1,842 1 2 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1841 1842
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Thanks everyone,

Having "sporadic" internet issues, way up nort here & still trying to upload the 148 photos to damn Pbucket !

Will post link to story & photos, once up !

Later.

Paul.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8143363/2013_Moose_Hunt#Post8143363

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photo essay, Paul. You sure earned those Moose steaks.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow! Great story.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Picked up 6 pounds of 7 year old cheddar for deer camp.

Started Packing for the trip West. Need to take light, medium and heavy weight clothing this time of the year. Looks like we may see some showers in Wyoming Saturday.

Just heard from my fishing buddy with the bad Evinrude. Piston took a chit. He has a new 115HP ETEC on order. The other fishing partner just bought a new 50 HP ETEC.

where you headed out here?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
remember the snow storm we had a week ago? well I saw the effects today. estimates are cattle losses of 10-20K in western SD. I saw thousands today while I was working with crews to clear dead cows from the ditches. we didn't even try to clear pastures, there were too many. 25% of the western SD cow herd is gone. some families had a 100% loss, many over 200 head of cows in a single pasture. it sickened me to see it, I broke down when I got home. there is a fund set up, I don't have a link, but if you want to contribute it won't be hard to find. I know some of the affected families, and these are good people, so if anyone or everyone could send a prayer their way, it would mean lots.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ryan

That really sucks for the ranchers. Thanks for the post.

I was going to post a picture of my doe loper but I think I will wait a couple of days.

Going north to check deer cams in the morning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
remember the snow storm we had a week ago? well I saw the effects today. estimates are cattle losses of 10-20K in western SD. I saw thousands today while I was working with crews to clear dead cows from the ditches. we didn't even try to clear pastures, there were too many. 25% of the western SD cow herd is gone. some families had a 100% loss, many over 200 head of cows in a single pasture. it sickened me to see it, I broke down when I got home. there is a fund set up, I don't have a link, but if you want to contribute it won't be hard to find. I know some of the affected families, and these are good people, so if anyone or everyone could send a prayer their way, it would mean lots.

I met with a gentleman today, he has a friend who has lost over 500, they were cow/calf pairs. I asked him how a rancher recovers from something like this, he said insurance may pay for half of what they lost, but they will more than likely have to start over, with half of what they had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

dayum....just dayum...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TJAY
Ryan

That really sucks for the ranchers. Thanks for the post.

I was going to post a picture of my doe loper but I think I will wait a couple of days.

Don't let my post stop you from sharing, drop a prayer if you can.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TJAY

I'm anxiously awaiting the "up north" pics. I have two cam's out and I can't wait to see what's on em.

Then we'll move them to a few more spots. The good thing about being 180 miles from the cameras is we don't go check em very often. smile

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
T ya should check out the trail cams that send images straight to your computer it is a trip.

Guy I know has one and he spends hours just watching his site lol. A bit spendy though I think this is the one he has...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=691330

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by big drift
T ya should check out the trail cams that send images straight to your computer it is a trip.

Guy I know has one and he spends hours just watching his site lol. A bit spendy though I think this is the one he has...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=691330

That is cool as hell, but, sadly, I would probably not be able to hunt if I bought one and added it to our cell plan. My wife (a CPA, and a little retentive) would likely break one (or both) of my legs.

She rolled her eyes when I got a regular game-cam and said " you seem to shoot a deer or two every year, will this help you shoot more?"

I have the one woman who uses LOGIC?!?!?!?!? Need has nothing to do with deer hunting. If only she had 200 pair of shoes or something, then she'd understand.......

Last edited by goalie; 10/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I resolved the issue by getting mine into deer hunting. she admits she's not as gung-ho as I am, but it's given her an understanding.

I would LOVE one of those cameras, but I don't think it's feasible where I'm at.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie

She rolled her eyes when I got a regular game-cam and said " you seem to shoot a deer or two every year, will this help you shoot more?"

My wife rolls her eyes everytime I buy camo. I always get the same line. "You shot a deer wearing jeans, a blue flannel shirt, red hat with sunglasses on top with a BOW from the ground! Why do you NEED all this stuff!" (Referring to the time I snuck up on a doe that was feeding behind an island of trees in the middle of a hayfield)

Hey! Hunters need STUFF Maaaaaaan!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I saw pics yesterday of the cows in SD. Poor things. Made me sick to my stomach. frown

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Prayers to all those affected in SD. Just plain frustration that there was nothing that could be done.

On a better note, we are preparing for another epic goose hunt this weekend. If all goes well, it will be like last weekend where we shot 24 by 830 am. With the poor pheasant numbers I am expecting, this might be the best hunt of the year! Good luck to anyone who will be chasing the wily ringneck this weekend and I am looking forward to some reports. Dave, since you dont have them up there, how about a timber chicken report?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sharp tail numbers seem fine, huns are on a rebound as well, ruff grouse seems down considerably.

Woodcock numbers average or better.

(personal observances)

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would agree with both of your assessments on the the thunder chicken and woodcock. Last weekend in the woods we didn't see a grouse, flush a grouse, or even hear a flush. But even just driving on the logging roads, there were woodcock everywhere. Possibly the most I've ever seen.

If a guy wanted to, he could have filled a few limits just walking down the road without a dog.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruffie numbers, north of the border report !

8 hours spent chasing them this season, only 2 seen (other than the 4 in the neighbours front yard) & only 1 n the bag !!

Never known it this bad.

Have seen 3 spruce grouse, but we usually pass them up.

Luckily, lots of deer !!!!!!

Maybe, we don't need 8, this year, now though !!!

We did donate a hindquarter to our outfitter buddy, though.

Got to keep that guy happy ! smile

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Speaking of pheasants, I bet the storm in SD did them no favors either

Page 1,202 of 1,842 1 2 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.