Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
First I lap the rings with this

[Linked Image]

And when using steel rings with an aluminum scope I attach a heat sink to the scope, in place of the turret.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'll try one last time (third time's the charm, right?) and then chalk it up to evasiveness.

Originally Posted by ironbender
You're not being an ass, John. You do seem evasive though. smile

Torch was just the way I read "apply heat". I still don't see the applicability of that to a system that is thermally equilibrated - all components at the same temperature.

If a rifle is zeroed and then "thermally torqued" I don't doubt accuracy problems will ensue.

Still don't see any trade secrets in whatever the answers to these might be:

Originally Posted by ironbender
Do you shoot a frozen gun, allow it to warm to ambient and shoot it again?

How do you quantify differences. Do you measure groups in this experiment?

What is your sample size? Is this performed on every gun you produce? (answered)

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ironbender,

I answered you questions except for things I considered proprietary.

If the info is something I don�t want to share and it is not in the public domain and it is something you do want to know, then it seems to fit the definition of proprietary about as well as possible.

If you are just trying to �Test me� then I guess I fail the test. I long ago gave up playing internet testing.

Thanks for the interest and we might have to agree I am evasive about answering question concerning proprietary info.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this whole thing is funny!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JBurns
......I fail...... long ago.....

Yep, couldn't agree more.

hangunnr

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's not a trick and can't quite wipe "proprietary" onto those questions. Adequate answers would only validate your claims.

Good luck John.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting reading

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is just my opinion.

First, the aluminum bedding block has to be bedded to the stock as precise as possible, or there will be flex the same as bedding an action to a stock using glass without the block.

Next, the action has to be as perfect a fit as possible to the bedding block, or it is no better than a rifle bedded normally. There is the possibility of flex, the same as the action being bedded straight to the stock.

My opinion, because of this possible flexing, of the action to the bedding block, and the possible flexing of the bedding block to the stock, is that pillar bedding would be the best way to bed a rifle. The pillars are metal to metal, and a very close fit.

There is no wood or glass or plastic to warp. With a fancy grained walnut stock, it seems that there could be a lot of flex, due to temperature change and humidity.

Also, the aluminum bedding block itself would be susceptible to dimension change because of temperature change, and the larger the bedding block, the more flexing possible.

The pillars only touch metal to metal, and if there is some worry about the aluminum compressing, the pillars could be made from steel.

As I said, this is my opinion and the way I look at it. Others may (and probably will) disagree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seem to remember either DickD or Ryan weighing in on bedding blocks a while back and the long and short of it was if bedding blocks were better, their stocks would have them.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've recently put a Manners EH2 on my Stiller Predator. I can detect no difference in accuracy between it and the McMillan Remington Hunter that was on it. The McMillan was pillar bedded by one of the best in the business, Mike Bryant. Return to zero has been very good with the Manners as well after removing an replacing the stock.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn I had forgot about this thread. Still humorous.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I seem to remember either DickD or Ryan weighing in on bedding blocks a while back and the long and short of it was if bedding blocks were better, their stocks would have them.

That is BS. It is/was purely a business decision I'm sure. H&S had this thing called a US patent. It has since expired, but before that happened McMillan would have had to pay royalties.

I won't argue that bedding blocks produce better accuracy. I will argue that they produce a more robust, field-worthy rifle. Any of you McMillan groupies been jumping out of airplanes with your Mickey stocks, for decades?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DickD
... sorry but there is no such thing as an aluminum "bedding" block. Many stock companys use an aluminum chassis or metal framework in their stocks to stiffen and strengthen the stock. But they have nothing to do with "bedding".
Bedding is a process of mating a particular action to a particular stock with an epoxy bedding compount to reduce the manufacturer's tolerances in all man made products to basically "zero".
A machined aluminum chassis is made to the same CNC tolerances as all other CNC products and does nothing to address the inherent tolerances in a production action.
Regards, Dick at McMillans

Wait a minuet, didn't we just have a long discussion about this a month or two ago. Those full length aluminum reinforceing block in stocks have nothing to do with bedding, remember.
Bedding is a physical act, a process of mateing two non-matching surfaces with a castable compound. If you insist on calling this action mounting block "bedding", then the McMillan stocks do have "bedding blocks", just solid fiberglass one's instead of aluminum. Afterall, fiberglass has much better recoil absorbing and vibration dampening properties than aluminum. Dick at McMillans

Every manufacturer has tolerances of +/- X amount that they produce things to. Remington, Winchester, McMillan, H.S., Savage, everyone does. These are, depending on the application, small enough that everything fits, functions and preforms to a certain standard. If you take 10 actions of the same make ( Rem, Win, Sav, it doesn't matter) and go over them with a good pair of dial calipers you will find many little differences between them, .001" here, .0005" there, .002" in between. This is due to tooling wear, metal polish before blueing, metal movement during stress relief, etc, etc, etc. Everything fits together and functions because the maximums don't interfere with the minimums. Same with stocks, triggers, scope bases, etc. Everyone has tolerances. A typical Remington receiver will have a diameter between 1.350" and 1.360", usually around 1.353" to 1.358" and they may be a bit bigger in the middle than at the ends. This is all within tolerances and they shoot just fine.
When you put them in a stock (of any make or material) they rest on the high spots and when you tighten the guard screws the receiver may flex a bit and you will feel the bolt dragging just a bit, or it may shoot to a different impact point with different G.S. tension because of this stress on the receiver. All this is within the standards of a good production hunting rifle.
Competition shooter and accuracy buffs found their rifles would shoot better if they eliminated all the production tolerances in the way their action fit into the stock by using an epoxy resin interface to eliminate these manufacturing tolerances and make their action fit into the stock perfectly so there was no strain on the action when the guard screws were tightened. This is called "bedding" the action. You put some epoxy material (Marine-Tex, accru-glass, accru-gel, Devcon,etc, they all work fine) in the entire action area of the stock (full length front to rear) and seating the action firmly into place without putting any stress on it and letting the resin set up. This mated that particular action to that particular stock "perfectly", and another seemingly identical action may not even fit into this stock.
Now, using this defination of bedding, there is no such thing as a "pre-bedded" stock, bedding must be done with the action that is going into the stock because it has it's own unique set of dimensions you are trying to mate the stock to.
There is a lot use in our industry/sport of the terms "bedding blocks" and "bedding pillars". This is all B.S. as they have nothing to do with bedding. There are a lot of ways to make gun stocks. Some use an internal skeleton of metal, usually aluminum, such as H. S.,A.I., Hoage, etc.Some use a solid fiberglass and machine the inletting into it such as mcmillan, some mold the inletting into a fiberglass shell with a light core filler. They are all good stocks properly used but they are all made to a set of tolerances and should be refered to as "mounting blocks" or "re-inforceing blocks" as they have nothing to do with bedding and do nothing to eliminate manufacturing tolerances or stress on a receiver.
So, I again state, there is no such thing as a "pre-bedded" stock or a "bedding block".

Well, I "went down this road" for several reasons. Today I must have had about 20 inquires as to why customers couldn't get a "pre-bedded" stock or why we didn't aluminum bedding blocks in our stocks. Also a statement in another thread the the A.I. stocks come already bedded. I finally decided that too many people must not know what bedding an action to a stock really means. "Bedding", as Mike D. said, is a verb, an act of doing. It's not a thing in a stock. I went out in the shop about an hour ago and measured 9 different Remington action diameters and got the measurements quoted above. The average on the front receiver ring was 1.355", the rear receiver ring was 1.353" and the middle of the action averaged 1.357". You take an action that is bigger in the middle than the ends and lay it in any stock, a glass mcmillan or an H.S. with a aluminum mounting block or an A.I. with an aluminum chassie or a stock with a V-block in it and tighten the guard screws and it will flex, usually in the rear tang. To elimate this stress you must bed it properly. Do you have to do this, no, not really. Rifle will probably shoot pretty good anyway. Will bedding improve the accuracy, maybe, not always. And I am not picking on the stocks with the internal skeletons or aluminum mounting blocks, they are fine stocks. I am picking on the gross misuse of the term "BEDDING" and trying to educate some of my very good customers as to what this is and to what the term means to those of us in the firearms industry.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Okay RD, Al ACTION block. Happy? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, yes. I also seem to recall that these "bedding blocks", "aluminum chassis" or whatever else people call these things are used to stiffen cheaper made stocks. There are far to many McMillan stocks in use by men (military and police agencies) world wide far greater than me to make me doubt their superiority over the competition.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are far to many McMillan stocks in use by men (military and police agencies) world wide far greater than me to make me doubt their superiority over the competition.

And none of the above, save a small contingent of MARSOC Marines, are jumping out of planes with them. Rick Boucher has written over at Sniper's Hide about a SOTIC student that attempted to lower an M24, stowed inside an M1950 weapons case, that must have been improperly rigged. When he lowered it at 200ft AGL, it continued on its on to the ground. The stock, rifle, and scope survived the fall and held zero IIRC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I don't jump out of airplanes and I'm not understanding your point with regard to what I said.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I've recently put a Manners EH2 on my Stiller Predator. I can detect no difference in accuracy between it and the McMillan Remington Hunter that was on it. The McMillan was pillar bedded by one of the best in the business, Mike Bryant. Return to zero has been very good with the Manners as well after removing an replacing the stock.

John

Here we have a rifle that has shot only one group in its history over one MOA, and it was a TEN shot group that measured 1.09". The rifle was pillar bedded in a McMillan Hunter. It was then swapped over to a Manners EH2 with a mini chassis and no bedding. There was no decrease in accuracy with the unbedded mini chassis. I have read other similar reports of swapping from a pillar bedded McMillan to a mini chassis. I have read NO reports of accuracy decreasing any meaningful significance with the mini chassis.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, I don't jump out of airplanes and I'm not understanding your point with regard to what I said.

EVERYBODY here who's shot a bunch has had glass bedding "go bad". NOBODY, apart from a few of the early H&S stocks that got made with Al inserts that weren't deburred properly (stocks cracked) have had one fail, to my knowledge. If you know of one, please share.

The point is an Al chassis stock is more durable than a glass-bedded fiberglass stock. This ain't just my opinion. The military market is moving towards the former and away from the latter. Ever seen a glass bedded Accuracy International?

A glass-bedded Edge maybe the ticket for what you do, I want one myself. I won't throw it around though, and I won't expect the bedding to last forever either, 'cause it won't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose aluminum pillars could shoot loose just as a AI chassis could. Personally, on McMillans, I just skim bed them with Marine-Tex and call it good. I also never really cared for the H&S stocks (the way they feel) compared to the McMillan Mountain Rifle stocks I have on my 280 Ackley and custom Husqvarna 30/06. I don't have the emotional attachment to McMillan stocks as some here appear to have, but I just feel that when you look at the whole package as far as action configurations (blind mag or BDL style), standard and EDGE fill, barrel inlets, colors, recoil pad options, standard and custom floor plate options etc etc...they are a tough act to follow.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (264mag, 204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,406
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.