Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I just put a comp on my AR for 3 gun and decided to try it out on some coyotes today. After the first shot I stuck a foam ear plug in my left ear to stop the blood, I should have done the same for the right one as it is ringing right now.

SJC Titan comp is bad for your hearing. Important Safety tip. I was able to track the coyote with the scope after every shot though.

Last edited by supercrewd; 10/12/13.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
after every shot

Crap dude! How many shots did you take without earpro?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use the Troy Claymore on my AR's for that very reason.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I HATE muzzle brakes!

a Brake or Comp should require a $200 tax stamp and suppressor/moderator/silencer should be FREE!

Poole

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What comp?

I'm going Surefire, or YHM if I move to a suppressor state. Supposed to be manageable.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I figured by now eveyrone knew about brakes. You never shoot em without protection.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I will not do it again, that is for sure.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shoot a 10.5" AR without a suppresor if you want to hear LOUD!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try a KAC Triple Tap.

Surefire EP4s should probably in our kits/HD setups, lol.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
had my wife shoot my two ar's befoe javelina season to see which one she would carry... She always liked shooting the m4 with the YHM comp, but then she shot my 20" bull barrel with no comp on the end... with the same exact load, the noise and muzzle blast from the m4 was 2-3x what the bull barrel rifle was.... She of course chose the heavier, 'more polite' bull barrel. (Which I knew she would, and I told her, but as usuall... What do I know?)

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Take a look at the Kies linear comp or the Kaw Valley. Both can be had for about $40 and are better than a naked barrel for pushing blast down range. I am strongly considering one for a work rifle since they do eliminate any of the side gassing. The only issue is they turn some ammo into a flame thrower at low light with a beachball size blast.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...Comp_1_2x28_Blac_p/kvp-linear223-blk.htm

Last edited by varmintsinc; 10/13/13. Reason: linky added.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Levang linear Comp on it for coyote hunting as the 16 in barrel was too loud as it. The Levang is going back on and the SJC is coming off and only going on for matches.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by reelman
Shoot a 10.5" AR without a suppresor if you want to hear LOUD!

Got one of those too. Brutal without suppression.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been around 11.5" ARs and comps like the Titan. I think I'd rather deal with a shorty than the Titan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I had a Levang linear Comp on it for coyote hunting as the 16 in barrel was too loud as it. The Levang is going back on and the SJC is coming off and only going on for matches.

Another bonus....an obnoxiously loud and blasty rifle will keep ROs from crowding you, lol.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a bushmaster back in the day, it had a 14.5" barrel with a mini Y comp on it. I fired the first round and it felt like someone shot me in the face with an air hose. I fired it a few more times, let my cousin see why I was cussing it and promptly sold the POS.

I now run Vortex flash hiders and will never again run a brake. I don't need to be that fast on follow ups...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I having trouble wrapping my mind around anyone shooting any gun without ear pro. Every time it goes bang, whether you believe it or not, you are doing permanent, irreparable damage to your ears. Surefire Sonic defenders coat less than $15 and will let you hear normal conversations while still giving some protection. I won't even hunt without ear pro.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I bought a bushmaster back in the day, it had a 14.5" barrel with a mini Y comp on it. I fired the first round and it felt like someone shot me in the face with an air hose. I fired it a few more times, let my cousin see why I was cussing it and promptly sold the POS.

I now run Vortex flash hiders and will never again run a brake. I don't need to be that fast on follow ups...

I've never seen a mini-y, but googled it. Apparently, they're pretty harsh. I can't imagine a brake that directs blast AT the shooter, it kinda defeats the whole purpose. All the brakes I've been around have been bad on the folks next to the shooter, but not so much the shooter himself. With good ear pro of course.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I having trouble wrapping my mind around anyone shooting any gun without ear pro. Every time it goes bang, whether you believe it or not, you are doing permanent, irreparable damage to your ears. Surefire Sonic defenders coat less than $15 and will let you hear normal conversations while still giving some protection. I won't even hunt without ear pro.

I will look at those. I was hunting, I usually either am not bothered or have so many clothes on it does not seem loud. What the heck, I just ordered some.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TWR

Sounds like a crappy comp.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,099
Posts18,502,075
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.