Recovery time?

Everyone lives"Downstream!"

Plant Oak Trees! Catch tarpon...

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got a pig valve May 10, 2012. Recovery wasn't bad, other than shortness of breath. Just walk a couple of miles a day and you will back to speed in a couple of months. A year and half later, I won't say I'm 100%, but Im 98% and can do anything I want.

PS I'm a charter captain, so I don't sit behind a desk.

Last edited by Ron; 10/13/13.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine (he's 52) had a mechanical valve implanted in late may. He seems fit as a fiddle now. The worst part for him was the incision healing. It hurt when he laughed, so, of course I had him laughing at every opportunity.
He said it wasn't nearly as bad as he had expected.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
good buddy of mine 52,as well,had a cows valve put in a month ago.went over to split fire wood for today as a matter of fact.He looks good,was cleared for work in 2 more weeks,and the doc even said he could have a couple of beers. grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been sitting at home recovering from a quadruple by-pass for the last 8 weeks.

Like Ron said, take daily walks. I started at a few hundred yards, now up to 1 or 2 miles at a time.

Everything hurts for a week or so, then starts getting better fast. Its just the split breast bone that takes a long time to heal. That and while they are messing with your heart, your lungs get partially collapsed. Walking and deep breathing helps.

Make a list of books you always wanted to read, and order them now. Lots of them, I have read ten book in the last 6 weeks.

Plan on not driving a car, pushing, pulling or picking up anything that weighs more than a few pounds for two months.

Last edited by Anaconda; 10/13/13.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

5 years ago I got a pig valve,bypass and a pacemaker. I was commercial fishing in a couple of months and guiding sheep hunters in 4 month's, but to truly heal-up from the surgery it was more like a year. Don't push yourself early on and I'm guessing recovery time will be a lot quicker than mine! I'm back up to shooting my 458 again.

I tend to use more than enough gun
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate the replies..keep them coming!
Looks like i will be there in a month or so.

Thanks!

Everyone lives"Downstream!"

Plant Oak Trees! Catch tarpon...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by michauxii
Appreciate the replies..keep them coming!
Looks like i will be there in a month or so.

Thanks!
Best of luck to you.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
March 28th,2013,I had 4 bypasses,aortic valve plus 1 more valve replaced (bovine valves) and they sewed up a hole in my heart.They also burned the upper and lower chambers of the heart to get them back in sync with each other.I got out of hospital April 9th,started rehab April 15th,for 1 1/2 hours 3 days a week at hospital.
I'm on a no salt diet,we don't use canned anything due to the sodium content,everything fresh.We eat fish 3 times a week,plus chicken and turkey the rest of the time.Once every 2-3 weeks for 1 meal I can have anything I desire in moderation.We eat no bread,noodles,rice,potatoes,sweets or sugar except 1/2 teaspoon on my Grape nuts with blue berries every morning.I eat tons of fresh salad,cherrub tomatoes,bell pepper,radisches and celery every day.My sweets are Walmart Lite non fat yogurt.
I lift weights for 2 hours and walk on the treadmill for 1 hour approx. 3.6 miles at 5.5-9% incline,6 days a week.I've lost 53lbs. since April 15th,I QUIT smoking Feb. 28th of this year,I smoked for 50 years.I'm no longer a border line diabetic and don't have sleep apnea anymore.Life is wonderful again.THANKS TO THE GOOD LORD,I just had a electro cardiogram done 3 weeks ago and my cardiologist said it was EXCELLANT.I'm still on Warfarin for a few more weeks.My BP USUALLY RUNS 115-123 OVER 63 -69.
I'll PRAY for your complete recovery.Skeeter

Last edited by crittergetter; 10/13/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crittergetter
March 28th,2013,I had 4 bypasses,aortic valve plus 1 more valve replaced (bovine valves) and they sewed up a hole in my heart.They also burned the upper and lower chambers of the heart to get them back in sync with each other.I got out of hospital April 9th,started rehab April 15th,for 1 1/2 hours 3 days a week at hospital.
I'm on a no salt diet,we don't use canned anything due to the sodium content,everything fresh.We eat fish 3 times a week,plus chicken and turkey the rest of the time.Once every 2-3 weeks for 1 meal I can have anything I desire in moderation.We eat no bread,noodles,rice,potatoes,sweets or sugar except 1/2 teaspoon on my Grape nuts with blue berries every morning.I eat tons of fresh salad,cherrub tomatoes,bell pepper,radisches and celery every day.My sweets are Walmart Lite non fat yogurt.
I lift weights for 2 hours and walk on the treadmill for 1 hour approx. 3.6 miles at 5.5-9% incline,6 days a week.I've lost 53lbs. since April 15th,I QUIT smoking Feb. 28th of this year,I smoked for 50 years.I'm no longer a border line diabetic and don't have sleep apnea anymore.Life is wonderful again.THANKS TO THE GOOD LORD,I just had a electro cardiogram done 3 weeks ago and my cardiologist said it was EXCELLANT.I'm still on Warfarin for a few more weeks.My BP USUALLY RUNS 115-123 OVER 63 -69.

Outstanding work there Crittergetter. Inspirational. I bookmarked your post.

Last edited by RobJordan; 10/13/13.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by crittergetter

Outstanding work there Crittergetter. Inspirational. I bookmarked your post.

Hey Skeeter that's terrific!

LOL
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by waterrat
[Linked Image]

5 years ago I got a pig valve,bypass and a pacemaker. I was commercial fishing in a couple of months and guiding sheep hunters in 4 month's, but to truly heal-up from the surgery it was more like a year. Don't push yourself early on and I'm guessing recovery time will be a lot quicker than mine! I'm back up to shooting my 458 again.

What'd they say about yer nose? smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just kidding waterrat. Wish I had been a sheep hunter when I could and wish you good health, buddy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
'98 mitral valve re-shape and re-attach chordae. get out and walk, I started the first day home, once around the first floor. In 2 weeks I was walking 5-7 miles a day and never felt better.
I go back to the cardiac ICU/recovery ward every year on the anniversary of my surgery to talk some of the patients through their concerns. It doesn't hurt that the nurse that took care of me is still there and is still not bad to look at after 16 years.

I can relate to the nose issue, no help coming from the heart surgery. smile

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My sister (about 55 at the time), had a heart valve repair job. They were able to repair it so she doesn't have to take rejection drugs or anything. For weeks she carried a pillow at all times. If she she sneezed or coughed, she had to wrap her arms around it and squeeze to prevent the incision from tearing. She's rather buxum and she said the worst part...by far...was that to hold things together, they sewed her boobs together.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
My Dad is 83, and just had his aortic valve replaced and an aortic bulge repaired. He spent 12 hours on the heart-lung machine, and then spent 10 days in ICU. He is now in his third week recovering in a convalescent place. Everything regarding the heart repair was great, but his lungs, kidneys, and most everything else have been extremely slow to recover. He was not in very good physical shape before going in to the surgery, and I'm sure that has an awful lot to do with the slow pace of his recovery.

I would suggest that anyone contemplating the surgery get in as good shape as possible before it, and adjust their diet to eating healthy stuff.

Good luck on your surgery!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ron
I got a pig valve May 10, 2012. Recovery wasn't bad, other than shortness of breath. Just walk a couple of miles a day and you will back to speed in a couple of months. A year and half later, I won't say I'm 100%, but Im 98% and can do anything I want.

PS I'm a charter captain, so I don't sit behind a desk.

Just wondering what it was like 6 months before you had the aortic value replacement.
Any symptoms us other old guys should look out for. Any departure from your
normal life or sensation indicating heart disease ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (APTXBROWN, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.