Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Location - Northern Yukon

Dates - Sept 24th to October 5th

Outfitter - Blackstone Outfitters (Jim & Adrienne Fink)

Rifle - Winchester M70 .375 RUM (270 gr TSX, 105 gr H4831SC)

Went on a moose hunt in the northern Yukon with Blackstone Outfitters. Also having tags for caribou, bear, and sheep if time and luck permitted. Took my usual crew. Me, my brother Albert, my dad (the hunter), and my grandfather. Floated the Ogilve and Peel Rivers for 11 days (75 Kms total). Grandpa stayed in base camp, and the rest of us froze our asses off. Weather was as bad as they had ever seen it up there during this hunt. Pretty cold, and a constant light snow. We still had a good time, and the operation is very well run. We will definitely be going back looking for that big one. Saw moose, but nothing worth shooting (we were being a little picky). We were the only guys that didn't tag out. All the other hunters took moose, most of them very nice. A few grizzlies and caribou as well.

Left the big cameras and lenses at home, and just took my new Sony RX100 and the camcorders. Took more video than stills. So here is the video. about 15 mins long. Let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/76808546

(is there a way to embed vimeo videos on here?)

a few stills.

[Linked Image]
Heading out from Whitehorse to Dawson

[Linked Image]
One of only a couple nice sunsets we had.

[Linked Image]
a nice break from Mountain House

[Linked Image]
my brother, my dad, and me

[Linked Image]
Here we are with our guide, Norm, on the gravel bar waiting to be picked up.

[Linked Image]
Weather was too bad to fly, so we had to stay an extra day on the gravel bar. Built a little shelter to get out of the snow. Day can get pretty long with absolutely nothing to do (we had just left the concession area also)

[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5345/10219419063_92d0f802e4_c.jpg[/img]
funny how things can change in a second. we got the call that the pilots were coming to get us. I think we packed up camp in record time! here I am with my brother crammed in the back of Jim's super cub for the flight back to camp. Sure enough we saw a nice bull (from the air) in the exact spot we had been the day before.

[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/10219214684_8da366b854_c.jpg[/img]
Here we are reunited with grandpa. With only about an hour left to catch the charter back to whitehorse. plenty of time smile

[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/10219365346_8315f1da1c_c.jpg[/img]
amazing country up there. we will return!

thanks

Last edited by bobby7321; 10/13/13.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Are you telling us, that you came all the way to our Yukon Territory, spent 11 days in what can be all too typical Canadian, hunting season weather, four men from you family and while you COULD have shot a LEGAL Moose, and MOST would expect you to given the substantial costs of hunting here in Canada, now, you CHOSE to NOT kill because the Moose you did see, was not "big enough"?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kute: I like the way he thinks too. Hunters like that group should be welcomed with open arms. We sometimes forget some real sports come from our neighboring country.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The Yukon is an awesome place.. Great photos and story,,

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Yup! wink We weren't looking for a monster. Just a solid bull. As you can see from the video they were all medium to small bulls, besides the one on the wrong side of the river. I look at it as we wouldn't want to go thru it all to shoot a small or younger moose. Just another reason to go back and give it another shot. smile

Last edited by bobby7321; 10/13/13.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bobby,
Great video and nice still pics. What a blessing to be able to participate in a family adventure and hunt like your Yukon Hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't let anyone tell ya to shoot or not to.. Its always your call.

Good hunt!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
NO in this situation given Canadian laws, it is best to do as your guide instructs, simply to avoid making a shot that may cause problems.

I have seen a fair number of wild sheep in my former employment and while hunting, backpacking and climbing. Still, IF, I were so fortunate as to take my lifelong "dream" trip to the "Bonnet Plume River" in Canada's Y.T., I WOULD ALWAYS do as my guide wanted as he, not I, is the expert judge of both what horns are legal and what really IS a "trophy".

Here, in BC, with declining wild sheep, evermore fragmented habitat due to the rush for resources and the sellout to foreign interests by our foul politicians of,in many cases, our finest lands and concessions, I would always ask one of the experienced sheep guys I know to tell me what to shoot and not too shoot, just to avoid potential problems with a accidental breach of the "regs".

Anyway, thot that is kinda important, but, what I really want to say here is that I deeply admire these gentlemen for their behaviour in NOT just killing a legal animal because they "could". I hope you DO return and get a HAWG! smile smile smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bobby7321;
Thanks for the link to the video and the photos and story of your family hunt.

May I say sir that your video was great - I really appreciated your choice of music by the way, I felt it suited the scenery nicely.

As others have said it's cool to see a family going out hunting together and sticking to the goals you set for yourself. A tip of the hat for doing so.

Thanks again for the video and photos and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the great pictures and for sharing your story. Hopefully you will be back up there soon.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great to see your grandfather along on the trip !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 56 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.