Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Bee looking for a decent Speed for years...

im prolly gonna wind up doing like the Poohbah and make my own though ill prolly use the less sexy No4 cause i like peep sights....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A .308 180 gr partition worked like "magic" for us on zebra, kudu, oryx, etc this past May. According to Hack we were probably lucky I guess. I'm sure the TSX and TTSX are great bullets, but to say "it's the best choice in hunting big game today by a wide margin" is a bit of a stretch IMHO, and is borderline laughable.

The Partition is a great, proven bullet and all I can tell you is my own anectdotal experience but Partitions have always been a hit and miss deal with me in the accuracy department. I used them in Africa with my 300 Weatherby with great results. But when it comes to penetration, internal damage and accuracy it beats any other bullet "by a wide margin". I switched everything to the TTSX except in my double and that's because of regulation issues...I'll close with this thought; My good friend just returned from a 21 day full bag safari, buffalo, lion eland to dik-dik. One rifle, one caliber one bullet; Barnes 270gr TSX....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not disputing for one second any of the great things I've heard/read about the TSX,TTSX. I haven't seen near as many animals die as Hack, but I've killed over 200 BG animals, and seen another 100 or so die, so I do have a little experience with what works and what doesn't. I'll probably try some TTSX some day, and I tried to shoot some in my 7-08 but it likes AB's and partitions much better so I'll settle for that right now.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No issue there JG, but I know you visit the AR forums as well where there are literally hundreds of data (as opposed to anecdotal) on all the bullets in question and the TTSXs when it comes to accuracy across the entire caliber spectrum and penetration/internal damage are really at the top of the heap. Have there been failures particularly with the smaller caliber TSXs? you bet but every bullet's not perfect.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TSX 150 gr .311 works very well in my #1 303. My #4mk1 shoots lights out with a hand swageed 200 gr semi spitser at .312. That rifle patterns .308 bullets. I cannot use 4350 as it is too much volume. H414 or R15 works very well.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nosler Partition is never a wrong choice. They are a benchmark for me. That said, I use TSX and TTSX preferably these days, and have for a long time. If you made me use only NP's I wouldn't worry a second.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Savuti
Or anybody else who wants to chime in.....

Taking son to Namibia next year, about 40 km south of Etosha, for an "old school" safari.
Menu: Oryx, Kudu, Springbok, Hartebeest.
Will be taking rifles chambered in 7x57 and 303 Brit.
I'm not a fan of mono metals in expanding form.

I'm assuming either H4350 or R17 will get it done, but what about bullets?
Leaning towards 150 or 160 Accubond or Partition in the 7. Any other I should look at?

In 303 am seriously considering the Woodliegh 215, or should I try a 180 .308 Partition provided it shoots?

Thanks
Pete

Classic cartridges requires classic bullets.
I suggest Woodleigh Weldcores in the heaviest bullet weights as most follow traditional Kynoch Design. Also shoot well and perform reliably in those cartridges.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pete, a short hijack here: if you are not planning on it already, strongly comsider a tour of Etosha.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
" One rifle, one caliber one bullet; Barnes 270gr TSX...."
What Jorge said

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't comment on the .303, as i've never fired one at a critter. As for the 7x57, We've used the 7-08 with the 156gr Oryx, an very pleased with it. From spingbok to gemsbok, it worked great for the Woman, and I. After seeing how well it worked for her, I used her rifle for my springbok, gemsbok, reedbok, warthog, and nyala. Only broke out the 9.3x74R, at the PH's request for the zebra and eland. Well, that, and I had to shoot something with the rifled barrel of my drilling! The Norma 156 Oryx is a great bullet for 7x57-7-08 speeds. We did not recover a single one, and had mostly "bang flops".

Jeff

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 14 year old used the 160 gr AB at 2650 fps in his Walther 7x57 last June to take all manner of critters down there. Here's his first.

[Linked Image]

And last.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Pete, a short hijack here: if you are not planning on it already, strongly comsider a tour of Etosha.

Already arranged!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks
Pete

Pete, why are you not a fan of mono metal bullets in expanding form? I am not trying to rile you up, just want to know what you think.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two fantastic calibers that will serve you well. Another vote for the T/TTSX's if they do well in your rifles. I have not used my 303 for hunting per se, but when my 375 was doing duty elsewhere I helped putting down a wounded kudu with the 303 and 180 gr factory PMP loads with which worked admirably.

Knock 'em down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A .308 180 gr partition worked like "magic" for us on zebra, kudu, oryx, etc this past May. According to Hack we were probably lucky I guess. I'm sure the TSX and TTSX are great bullets, but to say "it's the best choice in hunting big game today by a wide margin" is a bit of a stretch IMHO, and is borderline laughable.

Not going to knock the Partition, it's record stands for it's self. Personally, I have pretty much converted to the TSX/TTSX for big game, and the VMax for varmints. However, I have seen the Partition do tremendous surface damage to the critter before penetrating. Often a lot of the shoulder is lost to the bullet damage. With the Barnes, you can pretty much eat up to the bullet hole. I like that. I choose Barnes.

S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RAC
Thanks
Pete

Pete, why are you not a fan of mono metal bullets in expanding form? I am not trying to rile you up, just want to know what you think.

It basically boils down to an amalgam of personal prejudices.

Plus this is going to be a "retro" safari. I'm thinking traditional cartidges with (somewhat) traditional bullets.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,984
Posts18,499,786
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.