-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
First off I want to mention that I have been lurking on the 'fire for some time and thanks to you all I now have a new appreciation for knives. I always enjoyed them for their usefulness, but I hadn't paid much attention to aesthetics until I stumbled onto this sub-forum.

Thats all I needed...another hobby. smile

I tried my hand at making a set of scales (micarta type) for a blank that I purchased, and although it came out fairly well for a first try, I want to learn how to refine the process.

The scales had some small pitting in them that showed up after sanding. There were not many, but they certainly detracted from the overall appearance of the knife. I realize that this could be solved by simply purchasing the scale material but I want to learn how to do this with some proficiency.

Could this be fixed with more pressure, or perhaps more care taken when stirring the fiberglass resin?

Thanks in advance!

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I's all about the pics Chester.

Let's see it bud......

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know, I know. laugh

The knife is not with me. I'll try to get a picture up when I can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you ever feel inlined, make up some nice Carhartt micarta and I'll trade you some nice hardwood scales for some...........

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just based on what you described it sounds like air bubbles which is all about the mixing. Frankly I never thought making imicarta was worth the trouble, but I've seen some decent stuff done that you can't generally buy.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'd like to see these carhartt scales. Sounds interesting.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Here is a close up of the pitting on the handle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know that this is probably more work than it is worth, but I like being able to create the color combinations and give it a personal touch.

It also seems to be a good way to learn quite a bit without investing much more than time into the process.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago, when I used a lot of linen micarta, especially maroon, and it would have pits in it, as those shown.

I shaped the scales on a Square Wheel, and after ruining a bunch of it, I finally figured that I was getting it too hot.

I found that by using a sharp belt and grinding very easy, I did not have the pitting any more. It also took very little heat and pressure to cause the pitting.

This may or may not be your problem, but it is a suggestion.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys! For the next batch I will try to be careful when mixing the resin, and I will take it slow when shaping the handle. Hopefully these steps will resolve this issue.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
having never made my own, I'm only guessing, but I'd also be real sure I was thoroughly coating each layer. It looks like it was too dry between layers to me, but that may also have been trapped air/bubbles. seems to me that is the key. Don't over stir the resin. Ensure that you thoroughly coat each layer and carefully get out all the air between layers. Like I said, just guessin' as I've never done it myself.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.