Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
He is looking at a rug... Not sure where it can go, but we will find somewhere to shoehorn it in.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good deal. A nice looking bear. The hide looks similar to mine that came from down there.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It is very much like yours, for sure.

I have the same tag you had for this coming spring. So I will probably be giving away another hide! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll pack it down for ya.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have the same tag you had for this coming spring.

That's the one we're both going on, right?! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I'll pack it down for ya.

There will be room on the boat if you want to come along... I have several folks looking at coming so far, but I doubt there will be enough to fill the boat.

More eyes is always a good thing...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Art,

Not sure how I overlooked this post, but great story, pictures, and thread. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

I have the same tag you had for this coming spring.

That's the one we're both going on, right?! wink

Not sure how I missed this... There might even be room for you if you want to go on a boat ride...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile
I'm small.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, but I bet your beer tote isn't! wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is this cast-on in the stock? I think it is cool you could see everything when you shot. Interested in what kind of stock it is?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The stock is a custom wood stock (Turkish walnut) and cast means it is bent at the wrist just a little bit... In this case I used 1/4" at the toe and 5/16" at the heel. Recoil turns it, and you, slightly which reduces felt recoil quite a bit. That minor turn clears your view.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sitka deer.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The stock is a custom wood stock (Turkish walnut) and cast means it is bent at the wrist just a little bit... In this case I used 1/4" at the toe and 5/16" at the heel. Recoil turns it, and you, slightly which reduces felt recoil quite a bit. That minor turn clears your view.

Is this only possible via a custom wood stock? Do you mind posting pictures of this? Not sure why, but it sounds intriguing as heck... wink

Great story Art. What a memory for the kiddo.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What are the trade offs to this cast on arrangement?

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hekin

Is this only possible via a custom wood stock? Do you mind posting pictures of this? Not sure why, but it sounds intriguing as heck... wink

Great story Art. What a memory for the kiddo.

Sorry I missed this until this morning... Not sure how well this will work to show what is meant.

This is from the butt end looking up the stock. The rod has centralizers on each end to help show how the stock is "bent" toward a right hand shooter.

[Linked Image]

From above you can see how the stock is essentially "thicker" toward the shooter... Actually the centerline of the comb is moving into the shoulder and it is as thick as normal throughout.
[Linked Image]

I do not know of any synthetics stocks being made with cast...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 68Shooter
What are the trade offs to this cast on arrangement?

Recoil is not reduced, just redirected... If the cast is seriously wrong for the shooter it might be moving a bit more than desired. From the bench the rifles with a lot of cast will try to move to the side quite a bit and so trying to control them might be an issue if you are not prepared.

I doubt they would actually get away or anything, but the side movement is obvious.

None of that is any issue to me, but it is there.

The biggest drawback might be the fact you cannot get it in a synthetic stock as far as I know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have fired thousands of lead bullets at targets with a dirt backstop. This bullet looks identical to hundreds of them I recovered from the dirt.

I think it is a 158 grain 38/357. The bullets I have found were all .38's, 44's and 45's and each of them was was mushroomed in the same manner. They would also have those small pits in both the sides and nose, from striking the dirt.

Some might ask why I dug up so many. I did it so that I could cast them again. I don't remember many jacked bullets but there were a few. I didn't shoot many jacked bullets because they were too expensive. The jackets were mostly intact on the ones I found.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Crooked ass stock.

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At what cartridge level does it become worthwhile?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 28 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,480
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.