Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by senior

Are we not allowed to have personal likes & dislikes unless it's based on facts? frown

Sure, Washington D C is FULL of that.

It's also OBVIOUS it is present in the gun world.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
So judging by your statements, personal preference has no place in deciding what products to buy? If that's true, then why are there so many firearms makers and cartridge choices out there? Why are there more than one or two vehicle makes and models? More clothing styles than you can shake a stick at. Any product really.

There is really only one real reason to like or dislike a cartridge, weather it is effective for the intended use. So, once you have the intent and the corresponding class of rounds that fit that mission, what else is left? Personal preference. There are hundreds of bullet and case size combinations in any class of cartridge that will all work, yet they are all still available. Why? because people like things over other things for any number of reasons. And I'd keep it that way, otherwise life would be much more boring.....

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I hate the .32-20 WCF.

Because the worthless American gun-makers won't make new rifles chambered for it at a price I can afford (read: justify to myself), and the jerks that own existing specimens all want a mint for them.

I have similar feelings about the .38-40 WCF and the .30-40 Krag.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwall

Do you remember that the 270 had @ 50 yrs of use BEFORE a 280 ever breathed?

IMO, IMO we might not EVEN HAVE a 280 if it had not been for the 270.

When I see ONE, I see the OTHER!!

Are we not allowed to have personal likes & dislikes unless it's based on facts frown

Apparently not. laugh

Here's a little free advise. You like whatever it is that you like, and ignore the haters. Life's too short to argue over 0.007 of an inch, best bullet weights or which manufacturer is the greatest.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Second if someone likes the 280 they CAN'T dislike the 270. After all there is only .007" difference.

ONCE UPON A TIME the 7mm had many more bullets weights available but NOW not so much. Check out the Midway site for both 277 & 284 bullets.

Don't make a big DEAL of this.

You're gonna PET one and PIZZ on the other? crazy crazy

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't care for the 30/06. It's a great round for just about everything in North America and I can't say one thing bad about it except that it's to common.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't make a big DEAL of this.

You're gonna PET one and PIZZ on the other? crazy crazy

I don't think that he was making a big deal of it.

He posed the question, "Are we not allowed to have personal likes & dislikes unless it's based on facts?" frown

I suggest that you don't make a big deal out of this. Remember to play nice and bear in mind that everyone is entitled to their opinion. crazy

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is soo xxxx hard to walk away from this but I'm walkin.

I have answers to mr R but English just doesn't translate across the N border.

That's as nice as I can be.

bye-bye.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
.338 RCM...and I initially LOVED it! Loved the gun it came in and loved the ballistics but is the only round I have ever owned that I couldn't more than 3 loadings out of before I had to toss the brass.

As much as I would've shot it I could've been fine with factory loads but the only one available locally was the 200 gr. load and it didn't shoot better than 3 inch groups in my rifle.

Finally realized how good of an elk gun my '06 with 200 gr. bullets @ 2600 fps was and sold the RCM.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Are we not allowed to have personal likes & dislikes unless it's based on facts? frown

Sure, Washington D C is FULL of that.

It's also OBVIOUS it is present in the gun world.

You make that sound like something bad cool

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I read the entire thread and am at a loss for the irrationalness of most of the replies. I hate that in this life I only have so much time to try and experience anything that can be experienced in the firearms and shooting realm. There is value and virtue to all guns and ammo if you look hard enuf to find it. For more than the last 30 years of shooting I have found away to shoot and experience the guns and ammo our dads/grandpas and prior ancestors did. You buy the old gun you want, get some period correct ammo for it and use it on the game opportunities we have today which is more than they had in the "good old days".As an example go buy a pre 64 M70 shooter in whatever cart you want or can afford, find ammo from the same time frame use it this season on deer or elk or b bear whatever. You will get to experience of what it was like 50 yrs ago plus.... Magnum Man

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are cartridges that don't like ME...that's for sure. THe .270 Winchester hates my guts, for example. I have owned three of them and for one reason or another they either wouldn't shoot for me, or wouldn't feed properly, or gave me trouble and made me sell them to someone they liked better.
The .22LR doesn't like me. Can't get one that makes me comfortable yet, and I have tried many. .17hmr won't even talk to me and I havn't done anything to it at all.
I am very sorry to say that the .222 has issues with me personally, and I have put a lot of work into that relationship, but we have been seeing very little of each other lately, and to my sorrow, it might be all over.

I have fine working relationships with many others, so it's not ME, it cant be. The .25/06, the .243, the 7x57, .30/06, even the dour .308 Winchester likes me just a little. The .303 is like the first wife in the harem and bosses the others around; we have an easy familiarity.The little .243, that sexy rascal, would do anything for me, I know it and she knows it and we have a great time. The ice queen, the 6.5x55, allows me to approach the royal presence, and I consort with her while preserving her gravatas, but theres a little look in those pale blue eyes that makes you wonder if maybe...
The .44/40 is an old mate. As is the .30/30. We ride together.
But give me a .270 or a .222 and it's all hissing and snakes and unhappiness every time. I try. I honestly try.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

I have fine working relationships with many others, so it's not ME, it cant be....

The .303 is like the first wife in the harem and bosses the others around; we have an easy familiarity.The little .243, that sexy rascal, would do anything for me, I know it and she knows it and we have a great time.

The ice queen, the 6.5x55,,,, allows me to approach the royal presence, and I consort with her while preserving her gravatas, but theres a little look in those pale blue eyes that makes you wonder if maybe...
The .44/40 is an old mate. As is the .30/30. We ride together.
But give me a .270 or a .222 and it's all hissing and snakes and unhappiness every time. I try. I honestly try.

laugh laugh laugh

Fantastic, I love it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30-06 just because it's so good and it's everywhere

I just hate that

plab

Gotta love them 303's
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was an '06 hater a long time ago. A classmate of mine bragged about killing his deer after opening weekend when I was in jr high. Then he went on and on about his 30-06 and how great it was and how powerful, blahblahblah. I was aghast, because I began hunting big game with a 243, and was then shooting a 257. I thought 30-06 was waaay too much for deer, and I labeled the kid a moron and a braggart. A non-aficionado. My dad had taken his last elk with that 257 and anemic handloads, and his best friend had only ever used a 6mm for everything for decades.

26 years later, I hunt an '06. Great round. Waaay too much for deer though, so I load it down.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know that I have any that I really dislike, but there are some I have no need of. Basically any LARGE Magnum and anything that is short and fat. Too many other choices that will do the same thing with issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Furprick
Would you point a 308 Win at anything you would not point a 260 Rem at?

For sure....I wouldn't hunt elk, moose, or even bears with the .260.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like most cartridges they all have good points and bad points except for 2..... the ones that Boxer (Big Schtick} and David Walter like just because they are so ph............st....

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Rimfire cartridges- can't reload them.

If a label lacks a skull and crossed bones, the product cannot be very effective.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question raybass ol buddy...I don't like the 308 win either...Lets just be honest here. The little .223 rem is a waste of time as well.... whistle. The short necked 300 win mag is a nuisance too... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,003
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.