Hop To
S
ScottyO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hail to the rifle GOD's...
Hey guys I'm in need of a little help. Lookin for a good GunSmith anywhere near TriCities,Wa.With good knowledge of FN customs and Pre 64-Win mod70's.Both need Synthetic stocks and bedding,the Pre-64 needs trigger work or new trigger.Any help appreciated and thanks in advance!!! ScottyO.

HR IC

S
S
Scotty,

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'm up in Spokane and am always looking for a good gunsmith.

I've heard good things about Mel Doyle in Plummer, Idaho, but I've never seen his work and can't vouch for him. He's not too far from me but about 3 hours from the Tri-Cities.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not trying to be a dick, but why do you guys need your gunsmith to be local?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
S
Speaking only for myself and not the original poster: trust and convenience.

S
ScottyO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
deflave...If you have a good gumsmith,one you trust just gimmee a holler here or PM me.Biggest reason for the local smith is never been a fan of putting a rifle in the mail. Next is I've always been blessed with great local gunsmiths.Dan Cowan in Renton,Wa.RETIRED. Maj.Vern Leitz.Cashmere,Wa.RETIRED.Hey Travis I didn't think U was bein a DICK...ScottyO

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Maybe call Jim Wisner, a GENIUS with P-64s and Mausers and ask him for suggestions?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed lapour in bremerton or Mike Polazzo in Kent would be near the too of my list.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Rick Freudenberg is in Western Washington, Everett, but he's very, very good. Quite familiar with the various CRF actions too.

Link: http://freudscustomrifles.com/

I don't know if Jim Cloward is still building rifles, but that old master was/is very good as well.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Not trying to be a dick, but why do you guys need your gunsmith to be local?

Travis

Why not? I have one of the best around, which makes it convenient as hell. However, I do all the light duty stuff like bedding and trigger work, but when I need something specialized, I have my smith do it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tagging this for later

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The two now working mentioned above whom I would go to, without reservation, since Jim, is retired, are Ed Lapour and Jim Dubell, both of whom have done extensive and excellent work for friends of mine. I have 3 of Ed's Mauser safeties, built on the tools he bought from Wisner and they are excellent, my favourites of all available now and I actually have rifles with every 3-pos. safety made in the USA to judge by.

I just wish that the bloody border regs. were not in effect as I would take my old, worn Brno 21/22 barrels to Delta, (Dubell) to have rebored and would also have him build me some rifles. He is located not too far from my hometown in the Kootenays, where I intend to return soon and this would solve some of my on-going gunsmithing issues, as we have no "reborers" here in BC.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, nobody lasts forever. I have had two of Jim's rifles. Still have one. Will always have that one.

Guy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kutenay
The two now working mentioned above whom I would go to, without reservation, since Jim, is retired, are Ed Lapour and Jim Dubell, both of whom have done extensive and excellent work for friends of mine. I have 3 of Ed's Mauser safeties, built on the tools he bought from Wisner and they are excellent, my favourites of all available now and I actually have rifles with every 3-pos. safety made in the USA to judge by.

I just wish that the bloody border regs. were not in effect as I would take my old, worn Brno 21/22 barrels to Delta, (Dubell) to have rebored and would also have him build me some rifles. He is located not too far from my hometown in the Kootenays, where I intend to return soon and this would solve some of my on-going gunsmithing issues, as we have no "reborers" here in BC.

kute,

When I lived in Alberta I thought there was a guy known for making quality barrels and he did reboring as well. Googled it, Ron Smith. Not sure if he is still in business but you might investigate.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, Ron or more properly, his son, IS still doing some bbls. and I have shot rifles belonging to buddies, equipped with his fine, cut rifled tubes.

I have spoken with Ron, last time must be 10 years ago and he is a character and about my, (groan, creak) age, BUT, he will himself tell you that he is too busy with other stuff much of the year and so will only DO gun work at certain times. Consequently, his wait times can be too long for my needs at this time of my life, although I certainly respect his skills and products.

Delta, in WA, is much closer to my hometown, or, even to Vancouver, where I now reside and they have been quite quick in the work they have done for my closest friend, here. So, all in all, and especially given the photos I have seen of hunting rifles they have built, they would be my first choice for such work.

We have a FEW very GOOD smiths here in Canada, but, most are SO busy and of these, most are actually "pro" working, advanced machinists, who do some gun work as a secondary or even "hobby" activity and thus are also very SLOW in delivery. In fact, there really IS an excellent opportunity here, particularly in "western" Canada, for an industrious, business-savvy and GOOD young graduate from one of the major US training facilities to set up and prosper in a gunmaking and repair business of their own.

All in all, as I am about "done" for more guns and may just sell the actions/projects still not completed and, after just receiving my last few completed ones at Sept's end, I have 27 bolt action hunting rifles in good synthetics, scoped and ready to rock, plus six other hunting rifles such as my combo guns, so, I CAN "get by", although I DO NEED just a "few" more........

Anyway, hopefully, our "OP" friend here has now found the right smith for him, there are so many FINE smiths in the US to choose from.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.