Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Oink going to ask all and if you have pictures please add if you can. I want to build the ultimate elk rifle that I also hope to take to Alaska. The only decision I have made so far is the use of a Remington 700 long action. So,
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
3. What to do to the action?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?

I want it completed within a years time and any recommendations for a builder in the northwest would be appreciated. $$ don't make to much difference but I don't want to throw money away either. I want an amazing tool, not a wall hanger. Thanks in advance

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Check out RBros in Washington

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1.I like cut rifling, Brux,Obermeyer,Krieger,Rock are among the best. If 7mm i'd opt for a 1-8" twist, 1-10" on a 30,9.3" on a 338. I'm a firm believer that extra RPM aids in bullet performance, especially mono bullets.
2.Whatever interests you
3.buy an aftermarket action from BAT,Defiance or the like, i'm building off a Pierce TI at the moment. By the time you get done dressing up a 700, and consider in the donor price you could have just purchased one ready to build on.
4.McMillan gamescout, edge fill
5. Cerakote

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by rosco1
1.I like cut rifling, Brux,Obermeyer,Krieger,Rock are among the best. If 7mm i'd opt for a 1-8" twist, 1-10" on a 30,9.3" on a 338. I'm a firm believer that extra RPM aids in bullet performance, especially mono bullets.
2.Whatever interests you
3.buy an aftermarket action from BAT,Defiance or the like, i'm building off a Pierce TI at the moment. By the time you get done dressing up a 700, and consider in the donor price you could have just purchased one ready to build on.
4.McMillan gamescout, edge fill
5. Cerakote

Great info, thanks

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Lost me at Remington 700.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Noexperience
Oink going to ask all and if you have pictures please add if you can. I want to build the ultimate elk rifle that I also hope to take to Alaska. The only decision I have made so far is the use of a Remington 700 long action. So,
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?

I want it completed within a years time and any recommendations for a builder in the northwest would be appreciated. $$ don't make to much difference but I don't want to throw money away either. I want an amazing tool, not a wall hanger. Thanks in advance

1) These days with the wait times everyone has.I'd look at a Brux cut rifled barrel.

2) Its more important that you can handle it and shoot it well than running a cannon.I see guys all the time usuing a bigger caliber than they can shoot well...... if you can place the bullet where it needs to go. Your better off.
If it were me.... I run a 130g xbullet in a 270 WCF and call it a day.

3) Not a thing wrong with a worked over M700.Dave Manson makes a tap mandril that rechases the reciever threads and resquares the front of the action.You can also kiss the bolt face.
M700s are like screw drivers.Lots of gunsmiths know how to true them up and make the work very well.
Be sure to get a Rifle Basic trigger.

4) Stocks are like women.
Pick one that fits.
I like McMillian HTGs in edge fill.

5) I've used just about everything at one time or another.
Kinda fond of Black Tee. Just about the slickest stuff you will ever find with the right lube.
Of the paints I like Duracoat.
I dont care for it inside the action.But my understanding is they have a slick version just for that now.

You could save yourself alot of monkeying around and just order a NULA in 270 WCF.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by dave7mm
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?
What about a nosler rifle?

1) These days with the wait times everyone has.I'd look at a Brux cut rifled barrel.

2) Its more important that you can handle it and shoot it well than running a cannon.I see guys all the time usuing a bigger caliber than they can shoot well...... if you can place the bullet where it needs to go. Your better off.
If it were me.... I run a 130g xbullet in a 270 WCF and call it a day.

3) Not a thing wrong with a worked over M700.Dave Manson makes a tap mandril that rechases the reciever threads and resquares the front of the action.You can also kiss the bolt face.
M700s are like screw drivers.Lots of gunsmiths know how to true them up and make the work very well.
Be sure to get a Rifle Basic trigger.

4) Stocks are like women.
Pick one that fits.
I like McMillian HTGs in edge fill.

5) I've used just about everything at one time or another.
Kinda fond of Black Tee. Just about the slickest stuff you will ever find with the right lube.
Of the paints I like Duracoat.
I dont care for it inside the action.But my understanding is they have a slick version just for that now.

You could save yourself alot of monkeying around and just order a NULA in 270 WCF.

dave

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My primary elk rifle is a M700 ADL 270 rebore to 338-06 that I bedded in a take-off McM KS Mountain rifle stock. I have been hunting with it since 1995. Somehow, being a M700 and all, it has killed a handful of elk, a few black bear, a grizzly, a nilgai and handful of deer and hogs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Given you want a 700 action, I heartily endorse EdM's build. It will recoil pretty good at that weight. Some may find that objectionable. But then, light rifles just do that. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Number 3 Shilen SS Match Barrel , 338-06 Ack Imp. McMillan Edge Stock. Black Cerakote . Leupold 2.5 x 8 . As far as the Action just lap the lugs and true the action face and then chamber and barrel . Blue Printing a action for a Big Game Rifle build is just waste of money . The Standard action just the face trued up will be a halve inch to 3/4 rifle with the right load and bedding job. This is depending on the Gunsmith you choose to chamber it .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

N
OP Offline
N
338-06 is definitely high on my list and that rifle just looks good to me. Nice and utilitarian. I'm not worried about recoil so much and I don't ever expect to be taking shots past 300 yards. Good advice, thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?

This is what I would do:

1. barrel?--As of right now, Lilja has a #3 30 cal barrel in stock, and they keep #2s in stock also (http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/in-stock_barrel.htm). A Lilja barrel appears to be the only sporter barrel "in stock" right now, but of course you have a choice of many fine barrel makers if you want to wait. I wouldn't use any barrel bigger than a #3, my limit being around .650 or so at 24 inches. Others will have their own personal preference for barrel size/weight/balance.
2. Chambering? 30-06. Seriously, I am boring, and this chambering with 180 Partitions is possibly the most boring combination of all time. Works without fail, no drama.
3. What to do to the action? True it, at least the action face.
4. Stock choice. McMillan Classic. I like the Edge versions.
5. Metal finish? Stainless or cerakote.

I would not hesitate to mail your pieces off to Jim Kobe, Lee Christianson, Eddie Fosnaugh, Mickey Coleman, or others here. Eddie Fosnaugh in particular will work with your 700 and do the cerakote work also, as will Mickey Coleman.

Just my 2 cents.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks. I'll be talking to Eddie, one last thing. Who does good rebore work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm biased toward the .338 WM myself, especially since you mention ALaska. I've taken elk, moose,a pretty large black bear, and a bunch of African animals with mine and it just plain puts animals down in their tracks. Especially since you state shots won't be over 300 yards, zero it for 225 and hold on target and you're golden. 225 grain Noslers do wonderful things when you place them right. Big bears and moose stand up and notice when hit with the bigger bullets at respectable speeds.

My recipe would be either a Remington 700 or Winchester Classic Model 70 in Stainless. Have the action trued up- blueprinting is totally unnecessary for a hunting rifle, IMHO.
Pac-Nor or your pick of barrels.Make it stainless.
One of mine wears a Douglas, the other is factory and they both shoot around 5/8" all day long, 1/2" on days when I've got my mojo working (both on Winchester Model 70's but I would have no problem carrying a 700 into the woods so chambered). With the stainless hardware, no need for coatings so you save a bit of money there.

As for stocks, a good stiff McMillan of your choice pretty much tops it off. A McSwirly would be my choice in black/white combo so it would blend into the shadows as well as possible.

Scope would be a 3.5 x 10 Leupy with target turrets for those times you may need to stretch out beyond your 300 yard foreseen limit. I've stretched mine out beyond 500 several times and it still kills the same. I've read all of the stuff about high end rings, mounts, etc.... but I've used the standard Redfield Junior and Leupold bases and rings for 45 years and never had a problem yet so I probably won't be changing much. A couple rifles wear Talley lightweights just for grins and I've not noticed and difference in how they work and those rifles still kill animals so I guess there isn't anything wrong with them. If you want pretty, there are lots of good choices in "stainless" looking rings to match the rifle I'm describing.

As one person above so aptly spoke- chambering doesn't really matter nearly as much as having a rifle that fits you and you get enough practice in that it is like an extension of your arm. Once you've got that down, everything else is relative. That will happen faster if the rifle is built just to your dimensions so that when you pick it up, your cheek is planted, the scope is clear and centered on your eye and the target, and the balance to help you to keep it pointed where you want, length of pull is correct. IMHO, lots of guys building custom rifles forget this point and just throw a lot of money at parts without regard to how they work together for their particular build and use of the rifle.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going to get several good suggestions and recommendations, BUT you have to be the one to decide how you want your rifle built!!

Here's my 2 cents:

*300 Win Mag
*Your Rem 700 action trued/blueprinted
*Bartlein stainless barrel = #3 contour, 1-10" twist, 24" long
*McMillan Hunter stock
*PT&G bottom metal, Rem mag box, spring, & follower
*Timney trigger
*Cerakote all metal in your color of choice
*Good quality scope of your choice

Gunsmiths:

*Robert Gradous (Gradous Rifles)
*Mark Gordon (Short Action Customs)
*Jered Joplin (American Precision Arms)
*Tim Cronin (WildCall Custom Rifles)

Last edited by 300MAG; 10/19/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1 barrel?
2. Chambering?
4. Stock choice
5. Metal finish?

Easy, easy, easy.

1. Any barrel that bugholes.com sells (Brux, Bartlein, Rock, Obermeyer, Krieger)

2. 30-06 if you plan to head to Alaska. Every place has 30-06 for sale

3. True the action

4. McMillan (Whatever fits you best)

5. Start with stainless steel; coat if you want another color.

Longrifles INC is doing a remington group buy for action truing and barrel screwing. Sign up over on Snipershide. Should send in your stuff in November, get it back in December.

GFY

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't notice you are looking in the Northwest. What part of the Northwest are you located? There are several good smiths in the Portland area that can easily accomplish what you are looking for. PacNor barrels is here also, so , hopefully quick turnaround if they have a barrel of your liking in stock.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I have a number of rebores with all of the rifles being done by, now retired, Cliff LaBounty. He sold his business to Jim Dubell who continues the fine work. That said, turnaround time is long as he is loaded with work. There have been many good experiences written regarding JES rebores so I would likely opt that way if I needed such work today. I have had a few revolver rebores done by Al Siegrist and his work is top notch so another to consider.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by EdM

I have a number of rebores with all of the rifles being done by, now retired, Cliff LaBounty. He sold his business to Jim Dubell who continues the fine work. That said, turnaround time is long as he is loaded with work. There have been many good experiences written regarding JES rebores so I would likely opt that way if I needed such work today. I have had a few revolver rebores done by Al Siegrist and his work is top notch so another to consider.

Thanks. I bought a custom 06. Today, built on a model 70 action .action trued I'll shoot it as is after I mount a leupold on it but might have it re bored to 338-06. Thanks to all for suggestions, just happened to run into this at estate sale today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. I bought a custom 06. Today, built on a model 70 action

Pictures are a requirement here.

If you need help posting them, pm me.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.