Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Every Saturday I go see my best friend Robin,we fix something,catch a trout or shoot some grouse then have a beer afterwards. Yesterday I went and had one last drink with him and said my farewell.
He has ALS. You know for a one in a million rare disease it sure is prolific. I know so many folks whose lives have been torn apart by ALS.
Today I'm heading back home and gonna swing by his old cabin up the west side, catch a trout and maybe shoot a ruffie or two, then I'm gonna have a beer on his steps just like we used to.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rog, to be remembered as a good friend is something accomplished in life.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Amen!!

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's hard to read something like this. God's speed to Robin, his family and friends. Stay strong.

Good friends and family are gold. Memories are the value added that increase as the years pass.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My condolences to you and your friend.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rog;
I'm sorry to read this sir, but you've surely typed out a fine tribute to him and that's saying something right there.

Somehow the older we get, the more folks we know who aren't making it as long as they should. It's been a bad year for that here as well Rog - I can't recall a year like this actually for strife, divorce and death.

Anyway Rog, here's to your friend - Godspeed to him and you and the rest left behind are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks gentlemen! I ain't as tough as I oughta be and its great that all you fellas are a fingertip away today.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ALS is horrendous. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend and his family.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I join with the rest of our friends on this fine forum in sending both your friend and you my deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

I lost my beloved and very brilliant brother when he was almost 34, just completing his Phd and I was 35, to severe Diabetes Melitus, and I know how agonizing the loss of a close one is.

I would to God, that we as a society would stop spending tax $$$$ on non-essentials and concentrate our spending on health care, including the research to control these terrible afflictions.

God Bless and Keep your friend in his final hours and may He comfort you in your sorrow. Peace be with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rog,

I can relate to your feelings. A little over a year ago I lost a close friend, my best man at my wedding 55 years ago, not to ALS but that isn't relevant to our feelings.

During our weekly visits in the several years he lived in a nursing home his greatest pleasure was in reliving hunts and trips from our younger years. I was asked by family to give a eulogy at his funeral. I have to admit I was barely able to choke my way through it. In fact it chokes me up to write about it here.

Just know there are many who understand.

Jim

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It so hard to lose a friend or relative that you have spent so many quality hours with. I know the pain you are feeling. We never realise how quick it's gone until it's gone. You will learn to deal with it over time but the memories will never go away.

Stay strong; that's how they would want it. Words can never explain the void it brings. Good luck to you, your friend and your family. They are all we truly have.

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Again I thank you gentlemen for your support and kindness!! I feel much happier now. Though on another sad note another friend of ours lost his life this past saturday in a boating/fishing accident frown

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hang in there Rog and focus on the positive. I lost my Mother to ALS in 2009, she was only 53. She had severe frontal lobe dementia as well which turned out to be a blessing. She had a late diagnosis and there was not much time from diagnosis till her passing.

I know this probably doesn't help you cope much but during the last couple months of her life there were countless times we as family and friends were comforted by the love and prayers of others. There were countless small "things" that some how let me know that there was something bigger going on and it was good.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your friend and his loved ones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prayers for your friend, his family and friends. And to you sir for caring enough for another to say and feel such good things about them. That too,has gotten more rare in these times. I hope your swing by the cabin left you with a flood of positive memories.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Rog
Again I thank you gentlemen for your support and kindness!! I feel much happier now. Though on another sad note another friend of ours lost his life this past saturday in a boating/fishing accident frown

Yes this was a very sad tragic accident I knew both fellows that passed in the fishing accident.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geez Rog...hang in there. CS

Rog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Feeling much better now gentlemen..
On a side note I had a dang pretty gal spend all day saturday with me learning how to reload cartridges for her M70 30/06!!!
And this coming saturday I got dinner reservations at a snazy joint with another dang pretty gal. smile

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Care to share any secretes, or give any tips on how you do that?
Not reloading.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry about your friend Rog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rog my grandfather died of ALS. One of my friends does of it also at 42. He had a 2 year old son that will never know him. I feel for you and his family. I'm sorry

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.