Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I will add photos once home, but I just acquired a 1941 serial # 40xxx prewar model. When purchased, I assumed nthe stock was cut post factory for the installed Lyman peep sight. However, once taken apart, it appears to have been done at the factory. Rules book shows this as an option. The other thing that is perplexing about this rifle is the super grade swivels that appear factory installed on an otherwise standard low comb sporter stock. This is the first I've seen like this. My question is what do I have here? Is it possibly a special order piece? And has anyone seen similar?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Winchester did offer many different sights as an option. I have studied this model as well as collected this model for over 4 decades now, viewing @100 per year. I don't recall ever seeing any standard grade with super grade swivels. If it was just the sight I would have to say it is almost impossible to determine if a receiver or open sight was factory installed. However the super grade swivels MAY be a sign of a factory special order. Few realize Winchester severely curtailed the custom order department in the 1920's. While still preforming custom work on many models, they discouraged special orders on standard guns. There goal was for higher dollar returns. Though not a certain determination of factory installation, exact measurements, compared to a known super grade, may help determination a non factory job. I would like to see some pics of your classic rifle.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I will take some and post Wednesday when I get home. I have never seen swivels this way either, but there are no holes for the standard swivels present, which leads me further down the path of factory job. If someone has the correct measurements, i will compare.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds like a good one, try and post photos. I have yet to hold,shoot or look at photos of a pre 64 I did not enjoy ! very best

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 10/22/13. Reason: typo
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PIPEWHINER, I am away from my research books and your rifle has kept me awake trying to figure out whether swivels are factory installed. I think I might have an idea. Standard swivels were installed in the forend by a hole bored through the stock and a nut on the inside of the barrel channel. Super grade swivels were installed with 2 screws. If you take the barreled action out of the stock, if it was a standard grade gun with super grade swivels installed there should still be the standard grade swivel hole in the forend barrel channel. Before you remove the action out of the wood, TAKE THE BOLT OUT OF ACTION FIRST. If not the stock can be broken. This is just one idea to try.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a special order 375 from 1948 that has no rear sight, only a front sight, and a Lyman 48 on it with the stock cut out for it. Being that it has no rear sight but a front sight I assume that the Lyman was from the factory even though some will say that they never cut the stock at the factory.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
This rifle has no rear sight as well and had the block or dovetail protector in its place for lack of a better word. The notch for the Lyman looks factory cut as it has similar coloring/staining as the remainder of the action inlet and barrel channel area. As I said, I'll take pictures of any and all areas of interest. If its a bubba gun, so be it I have plans for it. If all original, then she'll go into the unmolested side of the safe.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by reelman
I have a special order 375 from 1948 that has no rear sight, only a front sight, and a Lyman 48 on it with the stock cut out for it. Being that it has no rear sight but a front sight I assume that the Lyman was from the factory even though some will say that they never cut the stock at the factory.

Mr Reelman I have seen the early factory cut outs, I do think that Lyman changed the sight (48 ) base so as the stock did not require the cut out, I will check my Rule book as to what year the change took place. very best

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know I would like to, and assume the forum would like, to see your 375's with special order features. I have seen but a handful of special order model 70's and always appreciate viewing other peoples treasures.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by pipewhiner; 10/23/13.
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I don't know how bad I flubbed up the picture posting but I tried. What says the collective on my theory which is factory order?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

I don't have a picture of my 375 on my computer but here is a close up of the other special order P64 M70 I have. It's a 358Win with a 24" sightless standard weight barrel. The picture shows the rear sight boss with no dovetail cut in it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The pictures are so small I can't see in much detail. The front swivel base looks like it's farther ahead than it should be, almost like they used the factory hole for the rear hole of the SG base. Again I may be way off base though because I can't see much in the small picture.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The front is centered over the existing hole in the stock. Its nicely inletted the way you would expect. I will redo the pictures somehow.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The pictures are so small I can't see in much detail. The front swivel base looks like it's farther ahead than it should be, almost like they used the factory hole for the rear hole of the SG base. Again I may be way off base though because I can't see much in the small picture.

redid the pictures reelman, i had linked to the thumbnail version

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice gun pipewhiner, hard to call it, but I don't think I would chop it up, maybe find a Mac stock,later lyman 48 that does not require relieving the stock. Is the receiver clip slotted? has rear bridge been drilled? Shoot that bad boy, it may very well be a 'hummer barrel' very best

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

I don't have a picture of my 375 on my computer but here is a close up of the other special order P64 M70 I have. It's a 358Win with a 24" sightless standard weight barrel. The picture shows the rear sight boss with no dovetail cut in it.

Dog dam what a sweetheart Reelman!! very best

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,910
Posts18,518,654
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.