Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I shoot shoulders so there is no guessing...

Did I make a good shot? did it hump because I heart shot it or gut shot? Is it good blood, is that liver or lungs? Do I wait awhile to start tracking? I swear it was standing right here by this tree, but no blood... Dramatics...

I just like to go over and gut it or bone it out depending if I'm packing or dragging.

Kent

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Anyway, I can get about 100 tacos out of a deers shoulders... if I only get 50 I don't really care much.

Kent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Going center shoulder leaves a lot of room for placement error.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by toad
punching some bone gives TSXs something to work with and prevents your food from using it's last 30 seconds to make your next several hours suck.

^^^^ +1 ^^^^

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I try to hold the X on the front half of them.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I try to hold the X on the front half of them.

+1 ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all about anchoring critters. There are no downsides to drilling shoulders.

Yes, and if haven't shot many deer you come up with a different answer. I'll break shoulder blades at every opportunity. So what if I lose 3 pounds of meat? They go down instantly.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PMC
Taking out the shoulders put's them on he ground quick. I don't mess with shoulder meat. Too much trouble for too little reward. I'd rather shoot another.
My exact thoughts.

Unit L, we ain't got time to 'whittling' slivers of meat outta scapulas.

de-bone the hams, strips the back straps, carve a little off the neck

next!!!!

laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
My exact thoughts.

next!!!!:D

What ? do you leave the tenderloin??

The front shoulders make very good ROASTS!

BTW - I shoot HI shoulder, little meat loss.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
My exact thoughts.

Not to me they don't I process my venison and get every sliver of silverskin I can off the meat. The front shoulder is just way too much hassle. With the large limits we have in TN, I'd rather shoot another doe and have a rear ham for roasts.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The motivation to shoot deer in the shoulder for me is if it is the only target presented. Otherwise I am an equal opportunity shooter. Broadside behind the shoulder, frontal neck shot, uphill into the brisket, downhill into the spine, raking forward shots.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all about anchoring critters. There are no downsides to drilling shoulders.

Yes, and if haven't shot many deer you come up with a different answer. I'll break shoulder blades at every opportunity. So what if I lose 3 pounds of meat? They go down instantly.

Pretty much. If I can hit a shoulder or two, I do. You don't lose that much meat and if the deer runs, it's a short distance.

I did hit a buck in one shoulder that ran about 70-80 yards, but he still died in seconds.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt with a lite caliber now because of back and neck issues and take a neck or head shot no mess and all the deer that I have taken like this only takes one step down

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
My exact thoughts.

The roasts from the front shoulder are typically too small & a bit too tough. The "roasts" make great stew meat & jerky (real jerky, none of this jerky cannon crap), and the rest goes into the grind tub.

Depending on the shot angle, distance, and circumstances, the shoulder area gives you the largest target and room for error. As mentioned, the high shoulder is going to anchor them almost every time (every time if you hit the right spot).

As good as many folks are at shooting paper, when it comes to shooting an animal, with the emotions and excitement and everything else that comes with it, I'd prefer that folks aim at the middle of the boiler room rather than try to take a hero shot to save a couple pounds of meat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When watching the so called pros on TV, I frequently see them taking shoulder shots. It makes me question their mentality. So what are your opinions? By the way, I always shot Hornady SP bullets and never the Nosler type.

With a few exceptions I'd bet those boys only take the head/horns home and donate the rest. The important thing for the camera is to get a DRT shot or one that won't run far so they can get the "kill" on film. Taking the shoulder first will make sure the critter won't get far.

My choice of shot is just behind the shoulder ... double-lung. Although I've made a few high neck shots when they don't give me a broadside.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Down Wind -

I see from your avatar.....

you are the Wal Mart COWBOY <G>

Last edited by jwall; 10/22/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to shoot shoulders if I'm after horns. Drops them fast and I don't care if it wastes some meat. I prefer behind-the-shoulder shots on meat deer if possible but sometimes you have to take the shot that is presented.

Just recently I shot a doe at 160 yards. It was the last morning of the hunt and it was my only chance for venison. She stood quartered to and I shot her on the shoulder with a 139 Hornady out of a 7-08. She made it about 10 feet. When I cut her up I lost about a pound and a half of meat from the shoulder I shot. I figure it was a small price to pay to bring home venison.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like shoulder meat; I've not found it to be tough at all. I've even cut it into chops. Makes good pastrami too. But the meat at the top of the shoulder just isn't that thick, and it would end up in the grind as it too thin to cook it whole.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use it all.. It all makes good snack sticks once it is ground up..

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot this mulie facing me, straight into the chest. Somehow, the Nosler Partition turned into the left shoulder leaving this:

[Linked Image]

Not sure what happened but it looks like the bullet fragmented after hitting the shoulder bone(which also would have likely fragmented) Either way, that shoulder was unuseable and left to the wolves, bears and coyotes.

That's wasted meat.

I realize, some states (NC included) have very generous bag limits and if one chooses to NOT collect all the useable meat, well, that's one thing in situations of abundant game, not that I agree with wasting meat.
However, out west, most guys get ONE tag good for ONE deer. I feel we have a responsibility to collect pretty much all useable meat with few exceptions. Shoulder meat can be ground and makes just as good burger or sausage or jerky as any other portion.

I don't like losing a shoulder, sometimes things just happen that cannot be explained, sometimes we miss our aim point, sometimes circumstances may dictate a shoulder shot, sometimes the shoulder is the only shot presented.

Personally though, I avoid shoulder shots unless that was the only alternative. I just don't like intentionally ruining meat.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,082
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.