Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
What is the difference between the Model 24B Forbes Rifle and the NULA Model 24? The Forbes rifle has a retail that is half of the NULA.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The NULA has a Douglas barrel vs the ER Shaw on the Forbes. The NULA must have more options?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
NULA is custom. You decide the barrel contour, length, rate of twist, chamber, color/paint of stock, length of pull, etc...

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
NULA is truly a custom rifle with many options and the Forbes is a mass produced rifle of generally similar quality except with only a few chambering options and standard stock dimensions. The NULA can be custom ordered to fit with virtually any chamber you want.Forbes rifles have Shaw barrels as noted.I have had both and think the Forbes is a bargain at the offered price.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. The Forbes rifle is mass-produced, NULA's are made one at a time with every option the customer wants: barrel length and contour, more action-size variations, and stock length and paint job. Even the contour and circumference of the pistol grip of the stock can be changed. The standard make of barrel is Douglas, but you can also get any barrel you want--for an extra fee, or by buying it yourself.

The options with the Forbes rifle are more like the options for a Remington, Ruger or Winchester.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are the NULA's actions made in-house by Mel ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, they're made in the Forbes factory. The ones I've seen have been very precise. Melvin made sure of that when they started production.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to snag an all stainless version when they come out, probably in 280.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Custom built and cafeteria built are not interchangeable, though the former is thrown about with reckless abandon.

Buy a Kimber Montana and use the extra dough on components.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, they're made in the Forbes factory. The ones I've seen have been very precise. Melvin made sure of that when they started production.

Did Melvin manufacture the actions in-house until the advent of Forbes? Are there any differences between a Forbes and NULA action today (both being 24's, of course)?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I thought SACO in Maine was making the Forbes action's and Melvin made the NULA himself?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Buy a Kimber Montana and use the extra dough on components.

I'd do just that, but until Kimber offers LH rifles... Forbes it is...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

I thought SACO in Maine was making the Forbes action's and Melvin made the NULA himself?

Why make the exact same actions at two locations? If I'm not fooled, they are also made where the Colt Light Rifle actions were made.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are these actions machined or Forged ?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

Found the answer:

Titan Machine Products, Inc., a supplier for Saco Defense.

They apparently do not make the NULA actions.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you mean cast or forged? Regardless, I'm not sure but would think forged.

Last edited by GeoW; 10/23/13.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both companies in Portland Maine so there is a connection there somewhere...

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting and thanks for the input. I was looking for Left Handed light weight rifles on the web and stumbled across these rifles. I wish there was a Left Hand rifle that weighed 5 to 5.5 pounds with a 3 position (Model 70 type) safety in short or long action, with custom trigger and nice custom barrel variations in the Forbes rifle price range (1500). I will keep looking, but the Forbes rifle has caught my attention.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Are the NULA's actions made in-house by Mel ?

Not sure where the action body is made, but I have watched Nula bolts being made by Mr. Forbes Smiths. Bolt parts are interchangeable. One of the reasons a Forbes is being made. He wanted those who have Nula to have a source of parts when he is no longer making Nulas.

Hint: If you can find an early serial numbered Forbes, buy it. wink I don't know when to stop buying it.

Last edited by battue; 10/23/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Let me try to set as much straight as I can after so much speculation.

Melvin still makes the NULA actions in-house. They're machined from steel cylinders which are probably forgings. I don't know, but there never has been a bolt action made by "forging" the finished dimensions. Instead they're machined from chunks of steel (or at least they're usually steel) that may be forged or cast.

When Melvin first started making NULA's there were so many machine-shops with too little work in the Morgantown, WV area that he had the cylinders machined a little over-sized, to save time and money, then did the machining to the final, precise dimensions in his shop. The bolts were made the same way. I suspect they're still made the same way, but don't know.

When Forbes was setting up the production line, Melvin came up for a quality check. He said he wanted each bolt to fit in every action, with both lugs bearing, just like they do in NULA's. The guy he was talking to, some sort of mid-level supervisor, said they did. Melvin said, "Then bring me a few." Some bolts did NOT fit, and he kicked some butt and took some names until everything was done right. He is not just a "consultant" for Forbes but one of the owners.

New York Kimbers are pretty good rifles (I've owned a few, and own three right now) but anybody who believes they're machined to the same level of precision as Forbes rifles is quite mistaken. And the Forbes/NULA synthetic stocks (which are made exactly the same way) are not only superior to Kimber synthetic stocks but are as good as anything made. I'm not saying that because I know Melvin, but because I know how precisely Melvin does things, and have seen them done that way over and over and over again over the past 25 years.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 3,302 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,308
Posts18,526,148
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.