-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you like to shoot, and who doesn't, the only way to go is to reload your own and that includes casting and sizing/lubing lead bullets. I started that back in 1972 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found my cast bullets properly sized for the chamber in a revolver and to the groove diameter or .001" over in a rifle will give a jacketed bullet a run for their money. A shining example of what cast bullets using the proper alloy for the chamber pressure of a given pistol/revolver/ rifle is capable of...

A 12 shot group from the M29 44 Magnum with 260 gr custom mould and 10 gr of HS-6 at about 15 yards.

[Linked Image]

This one from a S&W 1911 and a 200 gr SWC...that's 25 shots!

[Linked Image]

I'd be hard pressed to do better with factory jacketed bullets. I'm not worried about lead exposure. Hell, chemicals in food will kill me before that will.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boomtube
Many of the "younger" generation I know aren't concerned about "lead fumes" or harming anything. They're not interested in anything that requires much time or any degree of concentration, or has any less than instant gratification. Their mental activities run towards gaming their cell phones, sexting, Lady Gaga and dreaming of what they're going to do when they get a job that pays them big bucks regardless of having nothing useful to offer a potential employer

All meaning our professional education system is moving our kids into the docile mental PC drone mass they've long sought. Such "kids" do make a solid voter base for the liberal politicians who seek to rule rather then governand, as such; they aren't much for firearms.

I bet you'd be hard pressed to take any average kid to a range, give them proper instruction on gun safety and handling and let them shoot a firearm and have them leave with a ho-hum attitude. Most kids will take the real deal over video games given the opportunity. Sadly most kids are never given the opportunity.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
People don't cast because it requires effort, thought and time away from pro rasslin, opera and because you cannot shoot them at 4000 FPS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Gents,

I've just re established on-line capability, this devil box has been giving me FITS.

Just prior to it's last crash, we were all shooting breeze on thread elsewhere on this great site. There's some kinda' neat casting lore, and tech, and innovation all through it.

Here's a

link: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Kansas_Uncas_and_the_30_40_#Post8395811

O'm hoping to play with the mold blocks pictured / discussed there a bit more later today, and get a few more pics, too. If and when caught up, will post em' on a thread here.

Best Regards, and Happy New Year to all !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet you'd be hard pressed to take any average kid to a range, give them proper instruction on gun safety and handling and let them shoot a firearm and have them leave with a ho-hum attitude. Most kids will take the real deal over video games given the opportunity. Sadly most kids are never given the opportunity.

That's how it works around here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lot of people is absolutely sure lead kills on touch - same as mercury or asbestos.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If ammo gets more expensive and harder to find, there may be no alternative to casting.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 34 and have been casting for about 7 years now. I thoroughly enjoy the activity and challenge of casting, as well as the final product on target. When I have done my part with sizing properly and have a good load, my cast loads shoot just as well as my jacketed loads out to at least 200 yds. I've hunted with then in .35 and .45 calibers and hope to get a deer with the .30-40 Krag and a 311299HP next fall.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why don't more cast? Good question, probably the same reason they don't reload.

"Why should I reload? I can buy steel case ammo for my AR-47 and AK-15 cheap!

"I don't have time to reload." he said as he laid on the sofa watching a ballgame and surfing the 'net on his Smartphone.

Like others have said, most folks nowadays want to find what they need through e-shopping, buy it with their credit cards, then resume their inactive activities.

Too, the nonsense about lead poisoning probably scares others away.

35WN

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After some consideration I have concluded they don't cast for altruistic reasons. They want us to have all the lead. After Doomsday they can grovel at our feet and criticize the new robber barons

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
After some consideration I have concluded they don't cast for altruistic reasons. They want us to have all the lead. After Doomsday they can grovel at our feet and criticize the new robber barons

....yes, and call us "hoarders" because we have more lead and ammunition than they.

"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know guys who don't cast or reload simply because they haven't a place. I began with a very simple set up so it can be done but storing a casting set up in one or two bedroom rented apartment isn't easy. Even if one has a balcony on which to cast you still have the neighbors to deal with. It's easy for us who own "space" to cast & load but it's not for the city dwellers who most times are lacking in space & privacy, even driving many miles to shoot & even then having to shoot inside. I feel for them & thankful I've been blessed not to suffer any of the above.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed. I'm one of those who lives in a small apartment. Luckily I can have my casting setup at work, so it's just a matter of staying over to do a little casting or driving five minutes on a Saturday or Sunday. (My workplace is a one-man shop serving the needs of the science labs of a small college.) Were it not for that, I would be out front of where I live, casting in the open air- which I did before I got this gig.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good points. Sometimes I forget how blessed I am to have an almost unlimited amount of space in which ti cast and reload.

35WN

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
35WN I'm not disagreeing with your former statement that some do lay on the couch & spend too much time on the keyboard so to speak. You are correct in this. I also know people with hoards of lead, molds, powder, primers, brass & enough long & short guns do anything they like but don't fire a 100 rounds a year even though they can shoot on their own property. Go figure.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am GLAD more people don't cast- more lead and molds for me!

But seriously- I have introduced several people to casting. Sure- they all are interested but only one has shown even a remote desire to cast. They sure don't mind shooting my ammo with cast bullets, either, because it shoots better than anything they can buy.

Same thing for reloading. The one guy has set up his dillon and a Big Max I gave him. He is rocking along reloading. With 5 kids and a professional practice he doesn't have time to cast but does have a few thousand rounds of ingots so far. He does have a Magma 40 lb pot so it won't be long now before he is turning out the bullets.

Casting has to be a desire on the end-user's part. You can't just introduce it to someone. They have to WANT it.

At one with the gun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect part of the reason more people don't cast is that too many articles and books make it sound more complicated than it really is, and also mention more equipment than is really necessary to get started.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Mule Deer is pretty much on with his post.

There are casters who can quote you what mix they used with different bullets and some are very particular about the ratios used in their bullets.

And then there is me. crazy I started out many years ago using straight wheel weights and pretty much stayed right there. I will, now that I've read on this forum, throw a piece of tin into the mix every once in a while and will admit to feeling pretty smug about it but I don't try to rise above my laziness to a degree that would draw notice from curious bystanders. I melt 'em and mould 'em.

340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think you'll find as i have that a 4%-5% tin added to wheel weights makes a very noticeable difference in the appearance and the ability of the bullets to rivet yet remain relatively intact after expanding on impact.
you will also find dropping them into a 7 gallon bucket of water filled about 7/8 full tends to make a better quality bullet , I generally cast about 10lbs-20lbs of bullets at a time then pour out the water and spread the bullets out on a beach towel, separate the few culls and bits of casting scrap that you always get and then dry the bullets and lube size them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect part of the reason more people don't cast is that too many articles and books make it sound more complicated than it really is, and also mention more equipment than is really necessary to get started.

Yep. If a guy has a mold, a pile of wheel weights, and an empty soup can to melt them in with a lip bent into it so as to pour directly into the mold, he's in business. Add a Lee push through sizing die and a stick of bullet lube and he can make as many bullets as his little heart desires. That's exactly how I got started 45 years ago, only I had a home made push through die. Really, a guy could outfit himself like that and not bother with more sophisticated equipment and keep himself shooting cheaply for a long time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 38 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,215
Posts18,503,958
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.