-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I always like seeing the extremely self righteous LDS community deal with bad publicity.

11b b4.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is another viewpoint, those Bubbbas just got extended national news coverage for the park. Cha-ching

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Jcub
I always like seeing the extremely self righteous LDS community deal with bad publicity.

Expound on that... What church which has sponsored a BSA program, wouldn't try to disassociate itself from criminal behavior?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Expound on that... What church which has sponsored a BSA program, wouldn't try to disassociate itself from criminal behavior?
Why does anyone not expect some Mormons to fall short on morality. That is human nature across the board

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Expound on what? The enjoyment I get from watching a group comprised of some of the most self-serving, arrogant people be brought back down to earth? I wasn't using that statement to start a debate, I just felt like writing what I felt. You can agree or disagree, I won't argue for or against my claim, it's just how I feel. I'm petty.

11b b4.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The enjoyment I get from watching a group comprised of some of the most self-serving, arrogant people be brought back down to earth?

That sucks to hear. I'm a mormon and I'll readily admit we aren't perfect. And I think that a lot of mormons who've spent most of their lives in "mormon areas" like Utah and Idaho may have a difficult time relating with non-mormons. I don't usually hear that we are self-serving and arrogant though.

Have you ever checked into the church's international charity system?

I also think you'll find that the vast majority of mormons hate what these guys did.

I was a boy scout in a mormon sponsored troop and had great experiences.

We ought to share a real campfire someday.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I spent the majority of my life surrounded by 1 of the largest Mormon populations, by percent. In my experience, the way the LDS community treats non-LDS people, is truly disgusting. The majority, again my opinion, are on par with Muslim extremists. Coming from somebody who deployed to Afghanistan. Again, this is my experience and opinion and in no way does my stereotypical view of this group of people extend to you as I have never met you.

11b b4.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I know exactly how I came off from my last few post, I'm really not a bad guy, for the most part. There are very few things in life that get me going in a negative way like the Mormon community has been able to. Again, sorry for being so insensitive to those of you who are Mormon or share their beliefs.

Last edited by Jcub; 10/22/13.

11b b4.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
must be that community.....fair number of mormans round here some have worked for me and never had an issue....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Or it could just be me, and not the community.

11b b4.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent the majority of my life surrounded by 1 of the largest Mormon populations, by percent. In my experience, the way the LDS community treats non-LDS people, is truly disgusting. The majority, again my opinion, are on par with Muslim extremists. Coming from somebody who deployed to Afghanistan. Again, this is my experience and opinion and in no way does my stereotypical view of this group of people extend to you as I have never met you.

My brother who does not have a vindictive bone in his body feels the same way. If you aren't Mormon you go to the back of the line. That's too bad because he is the easiest going guy you ever saw. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, kwg, I just moved from your neck of the woods to Mormon country.

I have some initial impressions, and a fair amount of hearsay, but they are just that.

Time will tell...

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will say that never have I lived in a place where I have been asked so many intrusive questions by casual aquaintenances or strangers.

My church
The national origin of my name (repeatedly)
Whether I was born in the USA (Mayflower on one side, 1880s on the other)
How much I paid for my house and car, among other things
How much my car payments are
What I retired from (ans.: work)
My military experience (ans.:classified)

I know some of these have been from Mormons, but I can't say that is the reason for the intrusiveness. Could be coincidence, or local culture unrelated to religion.

When the other person brings up their missionary experience, the context is usually to find out whether you have done the same, i.e., are you Mormon.

Oh yeah, from one Mormon lady, why my dog's tail was docked so short (clearly disapproving). Ans. (twice) We adopted her as is.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 10/22/13. Reason: dog

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Re: The Scout "Leaders" - could they be charged with, and what is the average sentence for, terminal stupidity?

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know exactly how I came off from my last few post, I'm really not a bad guy, for the most part. There are very few things in life that get me going in a negative way like the Mormon community has been able to. Again, sorry for being so insensitive to those of you who are Mormon or share their beliefs.

Disclaimer here: I am inactive LDS (the word that is used in the church to describe someone who does not attend.) I don't drink, smoke or screw around on my wife. I just don't attend church anymore (well, maybe once or twice a year.) My wonderful wife and children are all very active.

The problem with most LDS folk, IMHO, especially those along the Wasatch front, is that they do not engage others outside their narrow sectarian circle---unless it is to proseletyze them. And then, if you're not interested in converting, the over-tures of friendship end. So the very strong impression is left that they care about others only insofar as they have utility as potential converts, which is not a very genuine sort of caring, if you ask me. A related problem is that far, far too many LDS folk are just uncomfortable associating with "gentiles", which is unfortunate, because it causes resentment in good people who feel they are being rejected simply because they choose not to believe in the LDS faith. Once again, the impression is reinforced that people only have utility if they are a potential convert and if they are not, they are somehow morally deficient or "unworthy". That is a very shallow and highly offensive mindset to have toward a neighbor or supposed friend.

My favorite LDS folk are the ones who could are less about your faith (or lack thereof) and can engage you at a party or other event and discuss worldy events while you are sipping alcohol and they could care less, or who can go on a fishing or hunting trip with you and not care if you imbibe or smoke (not sayin they have to join in). Too many LDS folk are so rigid on things like alcohol and cigarettes---as if they are moral vices (which they are not). People who find out I am LDS (even though I don't go to church) marvel at what they call my "normalcy" because their experiences with active LDS folk have been somewhat off-putting. I have had many people ask me why I am not like other LDS people and they mean it in a good way. They respect that I don't smoke or drink or party of cheat on my wife, but at the same time that I don't wear it on my sleeve or make it the basis of deciding who I will or will not be friends with.

Not sayin' I am anything but a loser, just my comments on JCubs observations.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Or it could just be me, and not the community.

I've lived in Mtn Home, Boise, and Caldwell. I've known a lot of difficult people between a military career and a second career in Corrections. Overall my experiences with Mormons has been positive. There are hypocrites in all religions. Other than the looney fundamentalist Mormons who marry then rape children I'd say the Mormon culture is a net positive in our culture. But YMMV

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.