Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had some luck getting coyotes with a scent post set. Most of my sets have been on field edges and old roads/trails where they frequent. Scent control of course has been priority #1. Just looking for some knowledge on trapping coyotes from some experienced folks.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Simple old dirt hole set has been good for me with food based lure down hole and another lure on my outside backing which might be a stick or a cow pie. I think giving them more than one spot to sniff at a set gets their feet moving more which is a Better chance of them stepping on my pan. I do a lot of snaring to though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flat sets with bridger #3's OS. one at the set and another out about 10'

we have a lot of skunks around here so if one gets in the set often enough a coyote will circle it several times at about 10'. it's kinda a long shot with the second trap, but setting none there will guarantee I won't catch one. sometimes another coyote will come in and circle the one in the trap to see what the fuss is about. increasing the chance of scoring doubles. I don't always set this way, just in a few areas that are LOADED with skunks.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had my best success with them in the winters with deep snow. Coyotes are a lot like people in the sense that they will take the easy path if they can. find those paths and hang a noose!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm going to try setting some for the first time this year, never done a yote set, or snares either.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Trap a skunk.

Bury it with tail sticking out.

Use like a scent post set.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I have had my best success with them in the winters with deep snow. Coyotes are a lot like people in the sense that they will take the easy path if they can. find those paths and hang a noose!

using a snowmobile is great in deep snow, just set snares in the track, or make a hayset. boom, dead yodel dog.

I try to avoid trapping the skunks when I'm targeting yotes.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
How to you "avoid" the junk with a coyote set. Coons seem to get into everything as well as skunks especially if there is any food to be had. I don't mind too much as taking out the junk has helped the game birds and other small game over the years. Skunks and coons are horrible on game birds.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dirt hole was the set I made most of the time, and i always made at least two in the same vicinity. there are many variations to the dirt hole, just get out there and come up with your own style.

I never liked pulling up to a skunk either, but it is what it is. reset and punch in a fresh set aways out of the trap circle..think about it, most of the LDC lures are heavy on skunk, so the real thing works even better, dont be impatient it may need some time to cool off, so to speak..But I wont lie it pisses me off to pull up to a skunk in a proven set location, but when on a new location i dont really mind it cause it will usually be a good producer after that even if my location wasnt the best.

Along the same lines for me there was nothing like hanging up a badger in a bobcat set that wasnt producing..after remaking I very often came back to a bobcat in the trap.so instead of getting pissed off i looked at a badger as good luck haha.

Last edited by rosco1; 10/28/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had decent luck as well after taking out some trash (coons, possum) with a re-set in the same location. The animal scent seems to make them curious and draw them in. And, getting rid of the junk is always beneficial to small game.

Last edited by brinky72; 10/28/13.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in the doghouse today. Wife is madder than hell at me, and this only a few days before our 27th anniversary. I was putting together some lure in the basement, and not thinking about it I opened up a bottle of skunk quill, which doesn't bother me at all, but she claimed it stunk up the whole house. So its 40 degrees out and I have the doors open. Whew!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am in the doghouse today. Wife is madder than hell at me, and this only a few days before our 27th anniversary. I was putting together some lure in the basement, and not thinking about it I opened up a bottle of skunk quill, which doesn't bother me at all, but she claimed it stunk up the whole house. So its 40 degrees out and I have the doors open. Whew!

Been there and done that, nice to know I'm not the only one with a wife that just doesn't understand.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." (Thomas Jefferson)

DON'T TREAD ON ME

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Did that before with some other stanky stuff. I was in the garage (attached) playing around with some lure and it happened to drop on the heater. Needless to say heating it up to a "cloud of smoke" consistency made it ....lets say more effective.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

using a snowmobile is great in deep snow, just set snares in the track, or make a hayset. boom, dead yodel dog.

I try to avoid trapping the skunks when I'm targeting yotes.

Would you explain how you make your "hayset?" I cannot seem to get one to work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dirt hole on location. Setting the right spot is more important than what set you lay out.

I set a dirt hole at a creek crossing or fence crossing, and then another (dirt hole or scent post) 20yrds away. The first is on the hottest sign, the second is to catch any pack members wandering around the first catch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you would be surprised how many coyotes run up and down old railroad tracks.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the link. I noticed a ton of other sets listed on the side. I always love the comments that all the libtards leave on those links. Morons.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a guy tell me today that he used cat chit for a lure on a dirt hole set and it worked great. I suppose it would work but I don't much care for cats much less cat chit.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Coyote walks the easiest travel route. Flat trap with grass sent post and make him look for the sent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,397
Posts18,506,922
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.