Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Once, in early April about 5 years ago. A cold rain was coming down as I was pulling into the garage at lunch. I heard the dog go off and went to the back door to look out and there are a couple of young crack heads huddled under a tree. Soaked to the skin and freezing. They saw me and ran to the door and rang the door bell. The guy said they were hungry and needed some money. I told them to get the hell out of my yard, to which he replied 'you better just give us money...'. I told them to wait there and I would be right back. Came back with a .45 and the phone and said I was calling the cops.

The girl was only about 5'2" but I think she hurdled my 6 foot privacy fence. Cops caught them about 15 minutes later.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, the way I recall it...

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The old man cupped one quarter in the palm of his hand and scratched the edge of another against it as he sat on the bench in front of Kelley's grocery.

He assured me that it would work.

So, later that afternoon I took up residence beneath my favorite hickory tree and gave it a try.

Sure enough, a few seconds later a grey squirrel came sprinting down the trunk of the tree with teeth bared and malice in it's soul.

A quickly aimed blast of high brass #6 from my break down Stevens 20 allowed me to avoid the humiliating tragedy of death by weresquirrel.

It fell at my feet and quivered there as I rapidly administered a coup de grace by slamming a pale green 8 ounce co-cola bottle against its head.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
unfortunately, more than once. One of the funny ones, at least to me, now.
many years ago i had repo'd a vehicle from a guy out on bond awaiting trial for heroin trafficing. He was rather upset with me and threatened to "do me."
about a week later i was sitting in my car with soon to be wife about 10at night watching the submarine races. A car pulled in behind me with lights on bright blinding me. A voice said, "get out of the car." okay, i did rolling out with a .38snubbie, had him cold in my sights. AS i looked through the glare of the headlights i noticed the big ol sheriff's badge on his shirt.
At that point i told him if he wouldn't draw, i would lay the gun down. After we both put our hearts back in our chest, I explained the situation and why i reacted the way i did. His mistake was he had not lit me up, nor announced who he was. Not long after that i joined the S.O., and he became a pretty good friend. But i bet he never stopped a car again like that.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Couple times on 2 legged types.

Funniest time was on a dog though. My wife and I just moved into a tiny burg with about 25 occupied houses and nearly twice that number of deserted places. Had a dog running around the front and side harassing our dogs in the back yard. It was dark and foggy out, late in the evening in early December. I step out the front with a shotgun and go around the side of the house to chase the dog off. As I'm walking back, I notice a guy walking away, down our street with a bunch of Christmas lights in his arms watching me over his shoulder. Turns out he had been stringing Christmas lights on the utility poles on our street that night.

We didn't get lights strung on our section of the street for 3 years after that. Guess they didn't want to risk it around the "new crazy" guy's house.

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/23/13.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three times, flushed a rattler from the trail and had him head out about 20 feet and then come right back at me. Shot him at about 5 feet, he was still coming. Then there was the three bear in camp, the first two left after a couple of warning shots, the third started towards me after all the earlier shooting. Caught the neighbor boy in my yard one night, he was shortly after arrested for armed home invasions.

We practiced disarming people when I was studying martial arts. If the barrel of the firearm was against me there was a near zero chance of getting hit. We graduated to using blanks and with a shooter who know you were going to attempt a disarming move, still never got hit - yes, I know that was a stupid move but my instructor was a tad fanatical. My point here being if you do wish to hold someone at gun point keep your distance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I thought this thread was not for me when I first saw the title. Did some thinking, and dredged up the memories of more than one incident , a couple of very close calls, and a time or two when I REALLY, REALLY wished I'd been armed.

Also had a weapon pulled - and pointed - at me a couple of times. That wasn't fun, either.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, four times:

1) Grizzly attack in Montana in 1960. I was treed and needed to get back to the road to be picked up (7 mile hike) or I'd be left for the night.

2) A locksmith I was helping in 1962 pulled a 45 on a guy who was entering the basement of a goldsmith who the burglar had tried to burgle the night before - I didn't pull but was saved by the locksmith who did.

3) I pulled on a group of 3 who were blocking my route on a USFS forest and threatening me with a shovel. This was in 1983. I reported it to a ranger who said they had problems with marijuana growers and he'd report it to the county sheriff.

4) I was living in an apartment (1997) in Northern VA (just across Key Bridge from DC) and a car pulled up and I heard someone trying to break into cars in the parking lot. I stuffed a 45 into my waistband and went onto the porch. They threatened me and I pulled and said "Get going"; they did and that was the end of it.

The only time I fired was to kill the grizzly, but I'm glad I was carrying the other times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On my way to meet my folks for a weekend camping trip in 1998 I was stopped on a corner crossing a bridge by a hippy with a german shepard. There were 40 or so others milling around on the bridge. I rolled my window down thinking something was wrong and he needed help. The dog jumped up on the side of the door of the F250 4x4, which sat high. The guy was screaming and basically being incoherent while the dog was barking a foot from my face. I was coming off three days of hard work and 7 hours sleep in the same time so my nerves were frayed to say the least. I calmly reached over on the seat and placed the revolver on the dash out of his reach but in plain sight of all who watched. He pulled his dog away, but never stopped yelling. The seas parted and I proceeded thru. A mile up, stopped at road construction, the road crews told me they had had their equipment sabotaged (sand in the fuel tanks, etc) and that there were hundreds of hippies camped out under the bridge.
I spent the weekend sitting around the campfire carving what I named my "Timber Town Tenderizer" expecting grand fun on the trip back out on Monday. Turns out the Feds arrested 300 hippies that weekend on various offenses, including charging people a toll to cross the bridge and robbing them.
Never got to tenderize any hippies with my big stick. Was a little disappointed at that.

LOL
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep!

Gal told me once..."Ya got a pistol in your pocket there buddy or are ya just proud to see me?"

That's....been a while!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Yep!

Gal told me once..."Ya got a pistol in your pocket there buddy or are ya just proud to see me?"

That's....been a while!!

Mae West?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lived in two story apartment in a bad area many years ago. There were drug dealers, vandals, gangs and home invaders in the area. Late one night, there was banging on my front door. Not expecting company, I turned on the bedroom light and opened the curtain of my bedroom window, which was right above the front door.

When the two male strangers looked up, they realized they were beating on the wrong door. They took off like greased lightning. Boy, were they fast!

Might have been the SKS they saw me holding.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Yes, four times:

1) Grizzly attack in Montana in 1960. I was treed and needed to get back to the road to be picked up (7 mile hike) or I'd be left for the night.

2) A locksmith I was helping in 1962 pulled a 45 on a guy who was entering the basement of a goldsmith who the burglar had tried to burgle the night before - I didn't pull but was saved by the locksmith who did.

3) I pulled on a group of 3 who were blocking my route on a USFS forest and threatening me with a shovel. This was in 1983. I reported it to a ranger who said they had problems with marijuana growers and he'd report it to the county sheriff.

4) I was living in an apartment (1997) in Northern VA (just across Key Bridge from DC) and a car pulled up and I heard someone trying to break into cars in the parking lot. I stuffed a 45 into my waistband and went onto the porch. They threatened me and I pulled and said "Get going"; they did and that was the end of it.

The only time I fired was to kill the grizzly, but I'm glad I was carrying the other times.

If you would, tell us about the grizz deal. A very good author friend of mine has quite a collection of stories like yours and I wonder if he already has your story.

Thanks

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe that is the story where he was 20 feet up a tree in Glacier, and the bear's claws were inches below his feet. He shot the bear dead and walked out.

If I've confused you with another poster, I apologize djs.

MAGA
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I second that motion, Big Buck.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I believe that is the story where he was 20 feet up a tree in Glacier, and the bear's claws were inches below his feet. He shot the bear dead and walked out.

Then he surely would have been sent to the electric chair for about six months for even packin a rod in GNP. And then to kill a grizz with it??

Sure would like to read the story. You just might be right, BGG.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
I second that motion, Big Buck.

Good. Maybe he gonna bring us up to speed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Then he surely would have been sent to the electric chair for about six months for even packin a rod in GNP.

lolol,...

Back when I was immortal, I spent a lot of time hiking and camping in GNP.

The first time was in 1980.

I have some pics of myself posing beside some signs which read, "CAUTION! ENTERING AREA FREQUENTED BY GRIZZLY BEARS! BE ALERT!

It was all a big laugh to me until two young park employees were killed by a bear 1.5 miles from where I was camped.

I've returned a couple of times since then,...and a heavy loaded 7.5" Ruger Superblackhawk .44 mag was my companion on the subsequent trips.

I don't mind obeying the law unless it's apt to get me et.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Then he surely would have been sent to the electric chair for about six months for even packin a rod in GNP. And then to kill a grizz with it??

Sure would like to read the story. You just might be right, BGG.

Was going to wait and see, but figured nah. Here it is.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6729661/3

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6812539/3
Originally Posted by djs
People just don�t realize how fast, dangerous and nimble a grizzly can be.

I worked in Glacier National Park (trail crew) for two summers in 1960/�61. We had a bad attack (a ranger, another ranger�s 12 year-old son and a tourist from Sweden). They were badly mauled and had to lay there for 12 hours (10AM to 10PM) before our rescue crew got there; the bear would just keep attacking if they moved. To put it mildly, I was impressed with the power and danger of a big bear.

As part of my job, I hiked solo each Monday to Grinnell Glacier (12 miles round trip) clearing the trail of any fallen rocks and would occasionally see grizzlies (each of our 5-man crew took a different day). I�d just stop and watch the bear until it moved off. Following the attack, I hitch-hiked into Kalispell and bought the last 44 Magnum the shop had. I carried it in a small backpack with my lunch.

About 2 weeks after the attack, I was hiking solo up to Piegan Pass to check out a fire trail. I was at the timberline and saw a griz about 100 yards away; it started walking toward me and I climbed a tree that (at the timberline) was not too tall. I could only get about 3-4 feet above the bear when it stood and tried to paw me. I took the pistol from the pack and emptied it into the bear, reloaded and did it again. Climbing down, I rolled the bear down he mountain and took off. In 2004 (following a Smokejumper Reunion in Missoula), I visited the Park and told a ranger about this (statute of limitations for both felonies � carrying a firearm and killing an animal in National park had expired after 44 years). I�ve since learned that two other bears were killed in 1960 by trail crewmen just like me. I was 18 at the time, but still have vivid memories of this.

You�ve really got to be on your guard when in grizzly country.

Originally Posted by djs
In 1960, I worked the summer in Glacier National Park on trails. Following a horrific grizzly attack on 3 hikers (one 12 years old), I went into a Kalispell (MT) gun shop seeking an S&W 29 in 44 Magnum. The shop owner said he�d just sold the last one, and all he had left was a Ruger (flat-top) in 44 Mag. � I bought it. The next week I was working solo on a seldom used fire trail. I saw a grizzly about 100 yards ahead just at the timber line; I stopped and watched. The bear looked in my direction and then started a slow run toward me.

I climbed a tree and could only get about 15-18� up the trunk of the small tree before it was too small to climb higher. The bear stood and tried to paw me; she was probably about 3� feet below me, but it seemed like 3 inches. I pulled the Ruger from my back pack and put 5 shots into her, reloaded and put 5 more. I quickly descended and (after ensuring she was dead), rolled her down the mountain into the timber, covered the body and high-tailed it the 7 miles back to my pick-up point. At this time, carrying a firearm in a national park was a felony, as was killing any animal. I kept my silence about this for 50 years.

Did the 44 Magnum work? Yes, but I had some real advantages. One, it was a close-range shot. Two, the bear was not charging me full of adrenalin. Three, I had a clear shot into her neck, just behind the head. Four, I had the time to aim.

Is a 44 Magnum a good defensive round against a grizzly? It was the most powerful round at the time, but there are much better cartridges now, such as the 454 Casull, 460 S&W or the 500 S&W. Get one of these.

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My oldest Army son. While in Iraq, he used THIS Ma Deuce to scare away an Iraqi who got a little too close to THIS vehicle. The Iraqi ran away screaming like a little girl. Iraqi might have had a homicide vest. We'll never know.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,020
Posts18,481,640
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.