Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've rambled quite a bit in McKinley Park, to include the Toklat River. Bear spray didn't exist then, and handguns were illegal (they aren't now). I was really careful. I think this guy had watched way too much TV. I would be interested to know if he had any bear spray.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got one of those permits for next month. Really excited to be able to drive in and explore on our schedule.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Report said no spray or firearm.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
was just in the park a couple of weekends ago, we drove back to Savage River (the farthest point in, they'll let you drive your own vehicle) and decided to take a day hike up into some higher country.

they have a ranger at the Savage river to keep private vehicles from going beyond that point so I asked her "is it okay if I carry my rifle, I know they've changed the laws that now allow the possession of firearms in our Nat'l parks?"

she said yes, but I wasn't allowed to shoot it (lol)

it really made the experience nice for me being allowed to have my rifle instead of smuggling mom's 629 in a chest pack.

we ran across some other hikers and I was really glad I had momma and the 14 year old with me, from my perspective it seemed to make some of the other hikers uneasy to see a guy with a .45/70 slung over his shoulder, but I'm guesstimating havin part of my family along mitigated some of that for them.

real shame about the hiker and the bear imo. But I'm thankful I can enjoy our national parks without having to forfeit our 2nd amendment rights to protect my family.

I've rarely gone into the park in the past for just that reason, but it's a shame for Denali park really is a jewel and I feel lucky that's it's so close and accessible to us. We're going to put in for the drive lottery one of these days.

What is the drive lottery?

Are the parks folks pretty cool up that way? I have never been to Alaska.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He should have placed the camera on a tripod with the timer so he could have gotten some good photos of the Bear eating his ass. They aren't called Dangerous Animals for no reason. City folks tend to learn the hard way.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
the camera they found showed him taking pictures from it 50 yards away.
the distance required by the park is 1/4 mile.

he's not an idiot just for getting eaten, it can happen. he's an idiot because when he was that close he decided to take pictures rather than get a safe distance from the bruin. AND he was warned before hand to stay back.

Ok. You all convinced me. He deserved to die.
Don't think he deserved to die, however the outcome isn't suprsing. Put your self in the food chain without folowing the rules you might become desert.

Travis

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The park lottery, if you get drawn, gives you 1 day to drive in as far as you want and explore in your own vehicle. Right now, for most of the year, if you want to go past the savage, it's on a tour bus.

I never had a problem with the rangers up here, I'm sure some are dicks though.

We got a road permit for sept 17th. I'm jazzed about it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
The park lottery, if you get drawn, gives you 1 day to drive in as far as you want and explore in your own vehicle. Right now, for most of the year, if you want to go past the savage, it's on a tour bus.

That sounds awesome!

Are you off road the whole time? Or is simply a limited access road?

Congrats on the permit.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a dirt road the whole way in, but you can stop and get out to explore whenever you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you went to the zoo and got into the bear compound and got eaten, would it be surprising? Not to me. I dont see the real difference between hiking in a wilderness area and going into the bear enclosure at the zoo, other than likelihood of interaction(interaction, ha ha ha). I dont think he deserved it, but if he had stayed home he wouldnt have died from a bear attack.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember driving back to katishna before the park service made its power grab.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
the camera they found showed him taking pictures from it 50 yards away.
the distance required by the park is 1/4 mile.

he's not an idiot just for getting eaten, it can happen. he's an idiot because when he was that close he decided to take pictures rather than get a safe distance from the bruin. AND he was warned before hand to stay back.

Ok. You all convinced me. He deserved to die.
Don't think he deserved to die, however the outcome isn't suprsing. Put your self in the food chain without folowing the rules you might become desert.

Travis

That's great. But I happen to be a person that puts myself in the food chain by choice and schit does happen in the woods.

I'm gonna make sure to stay a 1/4 mile from bears whenever I backpack. Great plan.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 19352012
If you went to the zoo and got into the bear compound and got eaten, would it be surprising? Not to me. I dont see the real difference between hiking in a wilderness area and going into the bear enclosure at the zoo, other than likelihood of interaction(interaction, ha ha ha). I dont think he deserved it, but if he had stayed home he wouldnt have died from a bear attack.

Thanks for sharing stupid with us.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No IMO, he deserved it. You can't fix stupid so I'm sure they are gonna have all kinds of new rules.

I have no feelings for the extremely stupid. Take for instance the guy who drove his car into prince William sound a couple of days ago. He got off the ferry at Whittier, driving down the road his GPS told him to turn, he drove right down the boat ramp and sunk his car.........really? The water didn't give it away?

Up here being stupid can kill you in a heart beat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Travis

What makes my comment stupid? Honestly, why do you think that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comparing a zoo to wildlife for 1. There is a big deifference. Also basically saying all folks should just stay inside. Sounds like fear to me.

Predatory attacks are really, really rare but do happen. Something tells me this guys actions brought on the attack.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Well for starters, you're comparing my going into the woods to jumping into a cage with a bear.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No IMO, he deserved it. You can't fix stupid so I'm sure they are gonna have all kinds of new rules.

I have no feelings for the extremely stupid. Take for instance the guy who drove his car into prince William sound a couple of days ago. He got off the ferry at Whittier, driving down the road his GPS told him to turn, he drove right down the boat ramp and sunk his car.........really? The water didn't give it away?

Up here being stupid can kill you in a heart beat.

There is an episode of The Office that depicts the exact same scenario. That is some funny schit.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

Well for starters, you're comparing my going into the woods to jumping into a cage with a bear.

Travis

Travis I think you've struck gold! I can see it now, pay per view, cage fighting Man (with aviators) vs. beast! (unless you think the aviators give a disproportionate advantage)

we can tell Dana White to GFY! laugh

hey Joel, really happy for you got drawn that's hella cool, but for some reason I thought a guy got 4 days to do the trip? One day seems pretty quick, not much time for side trips outa the vehicle. maybe it's just 4 days and each lottery winner gets one of those four days? I need to do some research.

and as far as the park rangers I've not had much interaction with them, course the most recent being that cute lil black female ranger that I asked if it was okay to carry my rifle.

I didn't ask her if she wanted to see my gun since momma was along. blush

but my best guesstimate is that the park rangers have changed over the years much like the fish cops here, the old timers are being replaced by the college grads and as a generalization view wildlife and their protection of it a bit different than the old guard did.

still the 20/60/20 rule would apply be my guess, prolly 20 of them are great, 60 don't rock you one way or the other and the other 20 leave you shaking yer head going WTF and wanting to tell them to GFY!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

That sounds awesome!

Are you off road the whole time? Or is simply a limited access road?

Congrats on the permit.

Travis

It reminds me of the drive in to Benchmark Campground from Augusta MT, except a lot longer. No ranches of course so you see moose instead of cattle, and IIRC, most of it is above timberline or nearly so. Polychrome pass stands out as quite memorable. If you can't drive in, riding the bus ain't as bad as many make out. You don't wanna go so fast that you can't take in all the scenery anyway.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.