-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pure bred dogs tend to be more neurotic than mongrels.

Cats pick their owners because they're picky. Dogs, not so much.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

That's [bleep] hilarious.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It's just like when ya met your wife, Ya just knew she was the right one for you.

That is NOT a good analogy. Many of us [bleep] slam up pickin' a wife....some of us several times. cry

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Not if they're bred right, "right" being the operative word. Pure bred isn't necessarily well bred. There are way too many backyard breeders out there and they prey on the ignorance of the general public who seem to think that animals are somehow cookie cutters and one puppy "with papers" and a few "Ch" 's in the pedigree is as good as the next. You can have a terrific bitch and a terrific dog but they might be the worst possible combination to breed to each other. That's where a real breeder is worth his or her salt. They understand the breed, they know genetics, they are familiar with the recessive traits to watch out for and how to identify them.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Plinker
Looking for suggestions on selecting a dog by attitude and temperament. How do you go about selecting a dog?

Gary

I make an appointment with a reputable breeder, tell them what I want, take out cash from the savings, buy dog, and start training.

Travis

^ This. Pick a professional breeder who is active in the breed and knows something about genetics. Look at the parents. best thing to do is look at dogs from prior litters of the same parents if possible. get references. don't pinch pennies. Then again, ignore all the above is all you want is a yard mutt or something to fill empty space under the kitchen table smile.

Agreed.

I've been running bird dogs (all but one Springers) for 30+ years, and was also active in two Springer field trialing clubs, so I've worked with dozens of the breed.

My current (and all-time best) bird dog was the product of a very selective process.

I searched online for reputable breeders across the country, then discarded any breeders who weren't active in training and/or field trialing. Most breeders will brag on their champion dogs, but that doesn't mean much. I called each one to talk to them to find out what their breeding and training philosophies were, and only after I'd found a breeder whose ideas mesh pretty well with mine did I actually go look at his dogs.

The breeder I selected happened to be fairly close to where I lived at the time, so I drove over and looked at his dogs. He had 3 started dogs for sale, all of them about 18 months old. He ran the dogs for me on birds, so I could see how they performed. He also ran the sire and dam of the dog I eventually picked, to show me what I could expect to see with further training.

In the end, I selected the one out of the 3 that appealed to me the most for non-tangible reasons... I mean, all 3 dogs were fantastic bird dogs.

Yes, I paid a good bit more for a started dog, but unlike buying a puppy whose potential is only a guess, I bought a dog whose ability and personality were already evident.

I don't think I'll ever buy a pup again. If I get a hankering for puppies, I'll buy a started bitch and get her bred once in between hunting seasons.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One dog picked out sight-unseen, worked out fine. The other after playing with a bunch - worked out fine.

But anyway, the latter time we got to interact off leash with maybe a dozen of a breed we thought made sense. None were that exuberant or friendly, poor things. But when told the lady managing the place our specific needs she brought out yet ANOTHER dog, and this one radiated demure sweetness, crawling first into gf's arms then mine, holding on with all her might. She's been a great dog.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Not if they're bred right, "right" being the operative word. Pure bred isn't necessarily well bred. There are way too many backyard breeders out there and they prey on the ignorance of the general public who seem to think that animals are somehow cookie cutters and one puppy "with papers" and a few "Ch" 's in the pedigree is as good as the next. You can have a terrific bitch and a terrific dog but they might be the worst possible combination to breed to each other. That's where a real breeder is worth his or her salt. They understand the breed, they know genetics, they are familiar with the recessive traits to watch out for and how to identify them.

And any breeder worth a schit will pretty much guarantee the pup is going to have all the traits you are after, or you can have another dog.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to a breeder and got a gun shy pris of a cocker spaniel.

Went to the pound and grabbed a beagle/dachshund mix, and it was the best rabbit dog I ever had. Low Rye Der.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by deflave

And any breeder worth a schit will pretty much guarantee the pup is going to have all the traits you are after, or you can have another dog.

Travis

"Worth a schit" being the operative phrase. references references references If you're serious about having a dog, study the breed, be sure it's what you really want then look around and talk to people who are active with the breed. Don't decide you want, for example, a lab because all your buddies have labs and, hey, there's a guy on the next road over who breeds labs... labs make a good example here because they're currently a very popular breed, maybe #1 in the US. Popularity can be a problem, it promotes quick buck backyard breeding which really confuses the issue and gives you a lot more breeders to have to sort through. We had a guy around here who bred labs for years but never trained or trialed his dogs, never even hunted them. He didn't know jack about dog breeding, either. This area was flooded with really poor quality labs for years, bad hips, bad eyes, all kinds of (probably) congenital defects and a lot of them didn't even look like labs. Many were dead by the time they were 5 or 6 years old. Same way with golden retrievers. Are there good ones out there, yeah. Also a lot that aren't even recognizable as goldens.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Plinker
Looking for suggestions on selecting a dog by attitude and temperament. How do you go about selecting a dog?

Gary

the last one I adopted picked me...really picked my daughter...at Pat's camp in east Texas.

he's Mickey's favorite child now.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it has always been the dog that does the picking in our family it just seems too work that way never got a bad one yet swore I would never get a pit not because I don't like them I do but the neighbors and what not kept me from doing it after our lab of 14 years retired so too speak we went too the shelter a bull dog pit mix saw the boys came over too play would not go back too her kennel would not leave the boys side yep aint hard too figure out what happened good dog no regrets about the farthest thing from vicious as you can get likes too play with the cat and the hamsters good guard instinct guess we will keep her.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Plinker if you are going to attempt it yourself, google 'Volhards Puppy Aptitude Test' It'll give you sone ideas...

That being said A truly good breeder, will screen applicants for puppies,figure out your experience level and lifestyle ,do the temperament testing themselves, and THEY will pick the puppy for you.A good gun dog breeder, or working dog breeder wouldnt consider anything else. Pet dog people will do anything...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (AnthonyB, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.