Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
can I take new brass into the RSA? Any restrictions? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a slightly grey area.

Brass alone shouldn't count as part of your ammo allowance but individual TSA agents might not see it that way.

There might also be other restrictions about taking brass out of the US nowadays.

Also, RSA law only allows you to import ammo of matching calibres with your rifles & again, that shouldn't apply because it's just brass rather than loaded ammo but they may not see it that way.

Quite honestly, it's not worth the hassle & risk because no matter what the calibre, Ken Stewart in Pietersburg will be able to make it cheaper than you can buy it for in the States.

Last edited by Shakari; 10/24/13.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have taken brass over for my Ph, in 2011, and last year both. Put it in the suit case in one case, and rifle case in another. TSA here didn't look or bother, and folks on the other side in RSA didn't either. In fact, when I was there this July , they didn't even ask to see the ammo for my rifle. My ph said, if they don't ask, don't bother them by showing it, so I didn't. Rules here say you can take some brass/ammo for your use. Now, mailing it another thing, and you need a state department form to clear it. Otherwise, moronic law says bullets, cases, etc., for the 303 Savage are "military" components, so can't just be sent, without the one time okay from state. HLS will come and visit you and explain why.

As noted, though, have had no problem just throwing a couple of boxes of brass, bullets, in with the ammo. no one cared.

Last edited by ghost; 10/25/13.

Ghost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taken a lot of 500 Jeffery over the years. Never a problem and TSA does not have a care in the world about empty brass.

In RSA you could be asked to see the gun it goes with. Your ammo must mach your permit. Granted it's not loaded, but much like the Regulations in the USA the determining factor will be made on the spot by the person you have to deal with.

If it's suggested that you're bringing it for the PH or a friend, .... well they they would want to see that permit to be sure it was legal for them to own.

It's complicated now. There was a time when I just walked past customs and right up to the immigration booth to greet my hunters. Then I filled out the permits for them at the odd little table set up for this. At that time there were illeterate folks chatting away in tswana paying no attention at all.

They stamped the permits without even looking and we walked through. Today is a far different situation. They use the SAP's to manage this and they are serious. I'm not sure I would bring the brass as a sport hunter. The risk of loss, or worse the delays and stress that could result in the disruption of your hunt would be horrible.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you'll find that export of reloading components from the USA requires a State Dept export license. Sure you'll probably get away with it but one needs to remember that in this post 9/11 society in which we live, penalties are severe if caught.

I won't post the link out of good manners but if you go to AR & use the search function on 'brass to RSA' you'll find it's been discussed at length there & the consensus of opinion was not to do it.

As I previously said, there's no point anyway because Ken Stewart in Pietersburg will make any number of any calibre for considerably less than you'd pay in the US.

If anyone wants Ken's contact details they can send me a PM & I'll be happy to pass them on.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,178
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.