-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don;t know a lot about the Pre64 Model 70's, but my father in law just inherited a Pre64 Featherweight in 308 from his father in law

He would like to restock it in a light synthetic. I suggested a McMillan Edge. Are all the pre64 Model 70's one action length? thanks for any info you can give!

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes, the external cconfiguration is exactly the same for ALL P-64-70s and the magazine mortise is also the same for the factory .358/.308/.243 Win. rounds and the .220Swift and .22Hornet as well as the .458/.338/.300 and .264WM rounds introduced toward the end of production of this model.

The actual magazine BOXS, ejectors, followers and so one ARE different, these parts are now quite rare and can be costly and those of us who have spares are not too willing to sell any...SO. DO NOT misplace them!

The .300/.375H&H actions ARE milled to accept the longer mag. boxes and SOME "experts" will try to tell you that using one of these for a .338WM, the most frequent suggestion, will give greater velocity, etc. when so chambered. This is horsesh!t as I have proven to myself with a number of different chronographs and dozens of P-64 rifles I have owned since the mid-'60s....this is due to contemporary powders.

My least favourite chambering, among actual hunting rifles for BC uses, in P-64s, IS the .308, among my favourite rounds, as it works best in much lighter rifles. So, IF, this is a wellworn "USER" piece, while you CANNOT rechamber to .30-06, it is well worth rebarreling to that or one of the rounds based on it...I have one of my .270 Fwts. done with a "take off" Classic STS Fwt.tube, Micky Edge in the MKX style and it is a SUPER rifle....this, btw, takes a certain level of knowledge and ability to do synthetic stock work, OR, the $$$$ and patience to have someone do it for you.

The "easy" way and I also have a minty .270 original Fwt. with one of these, given me by a friend, is the Hunter's Compact Edge and I like it, but, the Fwt. is also available in Edge, I have one on my STS Classic short custom .308 and two STd. fills on different Mod. 70-.338s...and, I like this pattern, as well.

For a good and less costly alternative, I would at present choose the Bansner, I have three of these and like them a lot.

If,this rifle is pristine, I would suggest Mitch Kendall, as THE guy to do the work,he is one of the two BEST guys at this in BC and probably Canada.Some of the work I have seen from some other wellknown outfits is, well, not really my idea of what such a fine rifle deserves. HTH.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I put a compact edge on my dad's pre-64 fwt 308 a few years ago. He loves it. It brings the weight of the bare rifle down to just a whisker over 6 pounds and has neutral balance. A perfect fit.

I have set two up this way, both were essentially drop-ins. Skim bedding makes us sleep better but probably not a necessity.

Last edited by RickF; 10/24/13.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good timing on this thread. A friend came into a nice but ugly p-64 FWT in .308 and after shooting it enough to determine it was a tack driver he called me and offered it to me at a price I couldn't refuse.

Bore is pristine, outside, not so. I haven't shot it much because I detest teh FWT stock. Horrible.

I think the addition of an Edge would find me picking up that rifle a lot more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a McMillan new Winchester Hunter stock in Edge fill for my pre64. Will get thoughts and pics up when I put it together.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

J
J
I just ordered a McEdge for my .308 pre 64 fwt yesterday! Good luck! I also put a call in to Ross at Williams and have a one piece Oberndorf BM unit on the way!

What color pattern are you thinking of going with?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by todbartell
I don;t know a lot about the Pre64 Model 70's, but my father in law just inherited a Pre64 Featherweight in 308 from his father in law

He would like to restock it in a light synthetic. I suggested a McMillan Edge. Are all the pre64 Model 70's one action length? thanks for any info you can give!

Todd, you've been fully answered I believe.

All that remains is a picture... here's the pre-64 06' I put in a Hunters Compact Edge.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Oh, "all right" wink

Here's a 30-06 fwt. Same exact thing other than a larger chamber.

[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the info guys

We ordered a :

1 x B] McMillan Ultralight EDGE Technology (Graphite) Hunting Stock
- 99. Special Instructions:: For Pre64 Featherweight Model 70
- 8. Pillar Installation:: Factory-Installed Machined Pilla
- 7a. Deposit:: $100 deposit
- 2b. Select Action Orientation:: Right-handed
- 1a. Stock Pattern:: Winchester Pre-64 Monte Carlo
- 4b. Length of Pull:: 13 1/2 (STANDARD)
- 5a. Finish:: Two-Color Speckletone Granite
- 3a. Rifle Caliber:: 308 Winchester
- 5c. Sling Studs:: Blued Studs
- 4a. Recoil Pad:: 1-inch Pachmayr Decelerator
- 2d. Barrel Channel Inlet:: factory contour featherweight 30
- 2c. Bottom Metal Inlet:: hinged floor plate
- 7b. International Shipping:: Shipping to Canada
- 2a. Action Inlet:: Pre64
- 1c. Construction/Fill Weight:: Ultralight EDGE Construction
- 1b. Select Stock Orientation:: Right-handed

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Pre '64 Monte Carlo pattern you ordered will turn out a few ounces heavier than a Hunters Edge (compact) pattern, which is the pattern of the stocks pictured in this thread. But if you're wanting the factory duplicate look, you got it!

I personally feel the featherweight barrel looks best in a Hunters Edge. The length, depth, and width of the forend fit the barrel well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a McMillan/Echols Edge on my pre-64 that was re-barreled in 9.3x62. It has become my favorite everyday carrying rifle.
[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The Pre '64 Monte Carlo pattern you ordered will turn out a few ounces heavier than a Hunters Edge (compact) pattern, which is the pattern of the stocks pictured in this thread. But if you're wanting the factory duplicate look, you got it!

I personally feel the featherweight barrel looks best in a Hunters Edge. The length, depth, and width of the forend fit the barrel well.

I have both, actually several of the Micky patterns for both P-64 and Classic Mod. 70s and I tend to agree with the above, however, my actual favourite is the Mauser MKX model, in Edge, which was inletted by Micky for the P-64 Fwt and then was nicely modified and painted to perfectly fit my "home made" P-64 Fwt. 270Win.

It DOES weigh a LITTLE more than the nearly mint "real" .270 Fwt. that I have in the Edge HC, but, while I find both comfortable, the MKX Classic, just has a "feel" for ME, that few others of the many "plastic handles" I have owned have.

So, it all comes down to what a given person likes best, the stocks themselves are simply THE "cutting edge" at this time and, given my 20+ years using Micky stocks, I doubt that will change, anytime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Phil- What barrel/contour is on your 9.3?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.