Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just for interest sake.

How much does a barrel contribute to accuracy vs the action? I do now that for ultimate accuracy a stiff, true action, combined with a good barrel is needed. But, if someone is stuck with an average/below average action, would you get better (sub moa) accuracy from a good barrel opposed to an average barrel combined with a great action? Lets say both are properly bedded.

Barrels are quite expensive around here and such an experiment is out of the question. I am just curious smile

Pieter

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
95%

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most rifles are farrrrrrrrrrrr more capable,than their owners.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that may just be the most true statement I have ever read on 24hour.

Lots of days I resemble that remark.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go with barrel first, gunsmith second, action third. Provided you're using a decent make for the action. If you're using a decent barrel, the gunsmith might be more important than both. A gunsmith can clean up an action, but there's not a lot that can be done with a mediocre barrel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having owned a bunch of customs and a bunch of remingtons and a whole bunch of custom barrels.....barrel is about the biggest factor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Having owned a bunch of customs and a bunch of remingtons and a whole bunch of custom barrels.....barrel is about the biggest factor.

..ok I'll go as high as 96% then but not one purnt higher

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd go with barrel first, gunsmith second, action third. Provided you're using a decent make for the action. If you're using a decent barrel, the gunsmith might be more important than both. A gunsmith can clean up an action, but there's not a lot that can be done with a mediocre barrel.

But a 'gunsmith' can flat ruin a good barrel.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...but a bad barrel can flat ruin a good gunsmith too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If all is not well-You have a pos! Including the driver.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Factory barrels suck....
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by smokepole

But a 'gunsmith' can flat ruin a good barrel.

A bad gunsmith can ruin anything. That's why a good one is high on the list.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
...but a bad barrel can flat ruin a good gunsmith too.

Not hardly. Good smiths own bore scopes plus Deltronic bore pins and cull bad barrels from the get go. shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....was talking about word of mouth.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
m77 what "average/below average" action are we talking about?

Barrel and proper installation are more important than action, within reason of course.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put the gunsmith way down the list. Nearly anyone with a good lathe and a little skill can turn out a shooter, it is not that hard. I have threw some crap together that looked like hell from stuff scrounged from the bottoms of drawers that shot very well, I give the credit to the tubes.
I have been told by the shooter I most respect that all that matters is barrel and bedding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I put the gunsmith way down the list. Nearly anyone with a good lathe and a little skill can turn out a shooter, it is not that hard. I have threw some crap together that looked like hell from stuff scrounged from the bottoms of drawers that shot very well, I give the credit to the tubes.
I have been told by the shooter I most respect that all that matters is barrel and bedding.

Well the jimmy behind the trigger is numero uno....

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
m77 what "average/below average" action are we talking about?

Barrel and proper installation are more important than action, within reason of course.

I am thinking something like a 98 action. I know it is a good action, but not the first choice in trying to get the best accuracy.

Pieter

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do understand what you guys are saying about the nut behind the trigger as that is a problem I often see. I have friends that have taken their guns to gunsmiths, guns that I know shoot well, to get them 'fixed'. They really believe the rifles are the problem smile I think gunsmiths probably make most of their money fixing accuracy problems that does not exist smile

I shoot quite a bit on my range and outshoot most of my rifles. I guess most people will if they used rifles as often as I do. I was just curious about the part actions play vs barrels.

If I could choose a setup I would get a Barnard action, lilja barrel and have a local company shape the stock for me

Pieter

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pieter IMO a Model 98 will benefit from a top end custom barrel. I have put Krieger tubes on FN Mausers and they shot very well.

Might be good to know intended use for the rifle and chambering(?).Is this a general purpose hunting rifle or a specialized rig for LR work on small targets?

If the former,I would say sure, a M98 will work fine and is capable of benefiting from a good custom tube. I have barreled them up with Krieger tubes in everything from 257 Roberts to 270,280 and 30/06,and they shot fine.

They may not have the stiffness,bedding surface, and other attributes of a tight tolerance "accuracy" action; the firing pin fall is heavier and slower but provides very reliable ignition under tough,dirty conditions.

If you want a varmint rifle or very specialized long range rig there may be better choices but as a general purpose BG rifle a Mauser 98 is good and I would not hesitate to put a good barrel on one.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1911a1, 204guy, 222ND, 160user, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 72 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,201
Posts18,524,144
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.