Print Thread
Hop To
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Anyone use the Teton Elk hunter At Sportsmans. Wondering how satisfied people are with it.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Western Mountaineering for me.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Not sure about that particular model, but for backpack hunting all of the Teton models I saw at SW seemed pretty heavy. I have a relatively inexpensive Coleman Emmons 0* bag I've been using - pretty heavy and bulky compared to the top end stuff, but it's kept me warm and seems pretty durable if you're on a tight budget. Honestly, it hasn't been high on my "upgrade" list because it plain works!

I think I'll be upgrading to a Kifaru Slick Bag in the next season or 2 - much lighter and more compact in the same temp rating, more durable too.

I'm a synthetic-only type of guy, but if you're interested in down bags Sierra Trading Post usually has some good deals on warm and lightweight bags as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Elk Hunter weighs something like 17lb. It's not exactly for backpacking.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Northface Snowshoe for backpacking and the NF Tundra for a colder camp.

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting partner has one, it is definitely for car camping and not backpacking. We have the Deer Hunter (rated at 0) for use in our popup or when we tent camp at a vehicle. They are nice bags and very roomy, just would not want to carry it farther than from the vehicle to the tent.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
the Elk Hunter is rated for -35. Out of curiosity, just how many hunters actually sleep in a tent that cold?

― George Orwell

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
the Elk Hunter is rated for -35. Out of curiosity, just how many hunters actually sleep in a tent that cold?

Rocky:

Not very many. I've hunted Colorado's 3rd season for over thirty years, camping near timberline most of the time and I don't recall more than a handful of times when the temp actually was as low as 0�. Don't recall it ever being lower than that.

KC

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to hunt with my BIL before he moved away. There were a number of times when it would get down to 0. I have a milsurp tent with a liner & wood stove that keeps it plenty warm. We'd play 5 card pinocle to see who had to get up and stoke the stove in the morning. It never got below freezing in the tent, though.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.