Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the TV special that aired a few years back regarding the Remington lawsuits the AD'S happen frequently to the SWAT/miltary snipers who use M40'S/700'S with the faulty trigger design too.

Wow, a TV special. Really?

Faulty/unsafe triggers which AD frequently? Yet the military keeps buying them by the 10s of thousands. And they continue to out sell every other bolt gun made.

And Belk can't seem to replicate an AD, but he keeps getting paid anyway.

Get a clue.........

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm afraid you're the one who needs to get a clue. Like I said before, the problem/potential for failure with the connector is evident upon examination of a blueprint of the mechanism to anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude. Too bad you don't have any.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For one thing, about the little TV special you alluded to:

Do you not think the military adjusts the trigger of a 700 before it goes into service? You think they just slap a BSA Contender on it and send it out? Snipers using factory adjusted triggers crazy That's a good one. You gotta be clueless to buy that BS.

Why would a rifle with a terribly unsafe trigger be the mainstay of military/police?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It doesn't matter how the trigger is adjusted, the potential for failure if the connector fails to engage/drop into place is still there. I cannot explain it to someone who lacks the potential to comprehend how the mechanism works and what happens when it fails so I won't waste my time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
For one thing, about the little TV special you alluded to:

Do you not think the military adjusts the trigger of a 700 before it goes into service? You think they just slap a BSA Conteder on it and send it out? Snipers using factory adjusted triggers crazy That's a good one. You gotta be clueless to buy that BS.

Why would a rifle with a terribly unsafe trigger be the mainstay of military/police?

That's been my question. I guess I should sell my 700 bench rifle.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It doesn't matter how the trigger is adjusted, the potential for failure if the connector fails to engage/drop into place is still there. I cannot explain it to someone who lacks the potential to comprehend how the mechanism works and what happens when it fails so I won't waste my time.

Yeah, it DOES matter how the trigger is adjusted and I can guarantee you I know more of how a Remington trigger works than you do. Been doing trigger jobs for years now. Guess what? No AD's.

You keep believing what you see on TV, I'll stick with reality.........

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can guarantee you I know more of how a Remington trigger works than you do.
I kind of doubt that. I get paid to work on firearms every day.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned a pawn shop, I have seen more than a few rifles where the firing pin would drop either on closing the bolt or disengaging the safety. In all cases the triggers or bolts were so gummed up with crap, more than likely WD40.

Just an observation on my part.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've seen it happen a couple of times, but the triggers WERE bubba-ed. Safe handling techniques "mitigated" the ADs, but they still happened. A quick trip back to the workbench got them "lined out" so it wouldn't happen again, though.

I don't use Remingtons any longer, though, not because of the triggers, but because I simply don't like "something" about them.
For the same reasons some folks don't like Winchesters or Rugers, I don't like Remingtons. There's something about the short bolt handles, too-tight pistol grips, and stock fit that I just don't like, so I don't use them any more. It isn't the triggers, though, it's the whole package.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I will weigh in here and list my experiences. I have been Smithing for 29 years and many 700 rifles have come through my door claiming an AD when moving the safety to the fire position. I have asked the owners to relate what was the scenario when the AD occurred. Many times the rifle had been chambered in the morning and carried all day then when it was time to unload back at camp the rifle fired upon moving the safety. Another AD condition I have notice when an owner brings in his rifle is a build up of varnish in the trigger from old oil. Most of these rifles look to never have been out of the stock since new.

I competed in High Power Silhouette for 15 years back in the late 70's and 80's and I used 700 Varmint rifles in 308 7-08 and at last 7BR. The original trigger was not up to the task so I tweeked it to my liking. I disassembled the trigger and used epoxy bedding to glue the floating Stainless Steel trigger horse shoe to the MIM trigger and changed the springs. Other wise you could and would have a different pull each shot. Later moved to a Canjar Light Pull 2oz. Single shot only so the safety was removed to help make the 10 pound 2 ounce limit.

It is my opinion that this floating horse shoe is the problem with AD's. Sure the safety blocks the trigger from moving but the floating piece can and does move with the vibration from carrying all day plus the firing pin spring load lets this piece move so when the safety is moved the load has shifted enough to fire the rifle. Most of the rifles I have examined claiming AD were 20 or more years old and wear enhanced the problem.

A 700 30-06 with the sixties style pressed checkering came into my shop Tuesday this week Claiming a AD and then showing me a hole in the drivers side windshield post and a shattered back window of his new Ford 250. I said we could enlarge the hole and he could install a spotlight. He was not amused.

I have seen it happen in real life as well, so it is a problem to be reckoned with.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get paid to work on firearms every day

Never twice by the same person, apparently........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get paid to work on firearms every day

Never twice by the same person, apparently........

You're in denial, 2much. It happens and happened to me twice with unaltered guns...one 721 and the other my new (back in 1967)700 7mag.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've pretty much said all I have to say on it. Not gonna keep beating a dead horse or get in a pissing match about it.

Like Art said earlier, it don't just happen once, and then magically stop happening. Think about it.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It happened...think about that.

It doesn't with me anymore. I don't own 700s. wink

700 guys will defend them to the death. I just hope it isn't an accidental death.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. According to the TV special that aired a few years back regarding the Remington lawsuits the AD'S happen frequently to the SWAT/miltary snipers who use M40'S/700'S with the faulty trigger design too. It is rather funny that all the experts here can't examine the 700 trigger assembly and see the mechanical design flaw that causes the fire at release of safety to happen. Jack Belk has explained/shown the problem in great and vivid detail with blueprints/diagrams many times and it's quite evident to anyone with a smidgen of mechanical aptitude/comprehension what the problem is when you see it.

Sorry, but you are full of schit! Watch Remington's answer to the TV special. You may just catch the part where the armorer was duped into making them AD to show them how it was done. This was then aired as if it actually happened on working rifles.

Jack Belk was proven to be an idiot when he admitted he could not reproduce any ADs on any 700 he has ever tested. All he says it is easy to make them do it.

I have absolutely no question about 700s that AD, that happens. And Bubba is usually there when it does. But when it cannot be replicated any reasonable thinker would see a trigger with fresh finger prints.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari

700 guys will defend them to the death. I just hope it isn't an accidental death.

Problem is you cannot prove no finger was on those triggers... And it could not be replicated. As proof that is very weak when they can be made to fail, but they then almost always continue to fail. Or at best intermittently... But they can virtually always be made to fail.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever notice that when people are injured from an AD that usually gun malfunction is the culprit. Even if the triggers were 50% more likely to AD no one should ever be injured if people would control their muzzles.
I will cuss someone out for pointing a gun at me even if it has an empty chamber flag.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington triggers are junk. Not sure why there is such brand loyalty with any product. Their bolt release is a joke too. I am not sure why Remington doesn't totally scrap the original design and come up with some more open like a Ruger, Winchester or Savage trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Problem is you cannot prove no finger was on those triggers... And it could not be replicated. As proof that is very weak when they can be made to fail, but they then almost always continue to fail. Or at best intermittently... But they can virtually always be made to fail.

I was there. You Weren't. I know what happened. You Don't.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
So the Remington safety does not lock the bolt.Are these idiots incapable of unloading the chamber with the safety on???I have no problems with any 700`s I have ever owned trigger and safety wise.Yes I can make a 700 trigger do that by adjusting too light and not changing springs or polishing the sear.Any fool can and I believe that is how these (Accidental discharges happen).Show me proof beyond hearsay.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.