Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have mostly lightweight rounded fore end type rifles these days and my Caldwell -The Rock- rest just doesn't work too well .
The small bag just isn't right for stocks that were never intended to RIDE a bag -too easy to cant the rifle side to side.

I have the small version bulls bag type rest that works pretty good ,thinking I'll get a full size model -but thought I'd check here and ask what you guys like for narrow/round type fore end rifles?

Thanks Mike

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/27/13.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have several small sand bags that I wedge on either side of my narrow stocked rifles, such as my Kimber 84Ls. As long as the stock is rested immediately below the chamber and the side bags don't lap over the barrel, it doesn't affect the groups, other than allowing me to shoot much better groups. That 84L stock is so narrow out front and will roll so easily that shooting groups is almost a waste of time without wedging. The Remington mtn rifle stock is similar, but a bit flatter below the chamber. Sometimes wedging these stocks will help.

Once you get the rifle wrung out, another option which I've come to like is to rest the stock on your hand with the hand resting on the bags without butt stock support. I don't shoot as tight groups using this method, but it is good muscle memory training for the field positions I usually use on the elk hunts. Then I graduate to off hand, sit, kneeling, and leaning against one of the range poles.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My rucks cain't care which stock nestles 'em,nor do I.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have three rests, an ancient orange one by a gun cleaning company, a Caldwell adjustable, might be "The Rock" and a very nice Sinclair, which takes all sorts of different fronts/tops, etc.

Most of my "keeper" rifles HAVE narrow forends, my original Type B, Oberndorf, 9,3x62 is a "picklefork" according to the late "J'0C" and it can be a bit touchy to get these settled well so that the grouping is consistent.

As things on my home front continue to improve and I get back to shooting several days per month, minimum, I am going to have my lady, a superb seamstress, make me some bags from the old lower legs from jeans that I hoard and this will be cut and stitched to have a narrow recess in them for these forends and I will fill them with a mix of 25% fine lead shot and 75% fine, clean sand.

That ought to keep things lined up as I prefer them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[bleep],

Didja' "forget" that you Imagined to Pretend I was on "Ignore"?!? Pretend you cain't read this. Bless your heart.

You were doing so "well" with Timber.

Laffin'!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For rifles like my Model 71 and others with skinny forends, I do like the Bulls Bags and similar. I did recently just get, via a trade, a true custom made benchrest adjustable rest with all kinds of dials for tuning. Wieghs about 50lbs! The front bag is removeable as with any good rest and I, too am getting ready to have a seamstress make me a front rest bag from suede that has a narrow channel in it and higher sides to properly prop up the skinny snouted hunting rifles I have.

The Bulls bags don't adjust too easily, relying too much on rear bag manipulation for my tastes, but until now they have worked pretty well for me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I generally shoot my hunting rifles with the forarm in my hand too more closely mimic field shooting conditions. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The depths of your mimickery,is routinely [bleep] hilarious.

Bless your heart.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for the comments -having read about people sewing bags and such gave me the idea to try the rabbit ear rear bag on the Rock Rest --steadied the rifle's up a lot.
Then I put the back of the rifle in the small bulls type bag [10" Allen bag] ,I think it will give a very steady rest now.

Plus I can prop my chin on the corner of the small bulls bag which helps me even more.
Thanks again -Mike

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
KMA, Boxer, KMA. GD

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well maybe I been doing it all wrong but with light hunting rifles the front bag is under the front action screw or thereabouts and the fore end is floating around on its own out there...and under the rifle a gun sock folded once or twice nestles the receiver ring.

Especially so if the rifle has a pressure point out front or is neutrally bedded. With light contours,and rigid fore ends the bounce off firm bags can cause weird things to happen.

I use the hand over the bags as a rest once 100 yard work is done,and I get to 300 yards,checking POI from that and other field positions.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/27/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
N
New ruger American is surprisingly slim

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised.....surprisingly.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'dog,

You remain an EPIC Clueless [bleep],but your Whining is topnotch.

Bless your heart.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A Ma' Nature hunker on a ruck,will reveal much,in short order.

Seen it.(grin)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anybody got a clue what's going on the background?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Good points BobinNH !

And now I know how to spell fore end -no wonder that stupid spell checker wouldn't leave me alone ....LAF.........

Posted by Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well maybe I been doing it all wrong but with light hunting rifles the front bag is under the front action screw or thereabouts and the fore end is floating around on its own out there...and under the rifle a gun sock folded once or twice nestles the receiver ring.

Especially so if the rifle has a pressure point out front or is neutrally bedded. With light contours,and rigid fore ends the bounce off firm bags can cause weird things to happen.

I use the hand over the bags as a rest once 100 yard work is done,and I get to 300 yards,checking POI from that and other field positions.

bout time someone brought that point up. I don't think you are the one doing it wrong Bob..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by taz4570
Anybody got a clue what's going on the background?

Distant Dastardly Deeds,as per whim...is what happens in the background.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 56 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,969
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.