-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Killing Santa Ana would have been the emotional but not rational thing to do. As stated, SA still had two or three armies in the field all capable of defeating the rabble that was Houston's Army. Houston wisely made him sigh over the entire state of Texas to the Rio Grande AND kept him alive to ensure the document's credibility to the Mexican generals in the field.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd still have killed the SOB.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After independence and he attempted a comeback, then for certain.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing that amazes me is how small the Alamo is. Much smaller than it seems on TV Movies.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I never understood why Santa Ana didn't just use artillery to level the place.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Killing Santa Ana would have been the emotional but not rational thing to do. As stated, SA still had two or three armies in the field all capable of defeating the rabble that was Houston's Army. Houston wisely made him sigh over the entire state of Texas to the Rio Grande AND kept him alive to ensure the document's credibility to the Mexican generals in the field.

this

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Jorge, I shoulda wrote the Mexican army withdrew from Texas after San Jacinto, as at that point there was no coherent Texian force under arms to chase them out, or even accompany them out.

Sam Houston was a consumate politician, and opportunist, but he did have a long-range vision and an ability to see past immediate circumstance. Many people would have killed Santa Anna out of hand, Houston evaluated the possibilities, and milked the situation for all it was worth (a lot, as it turned out).

To Houston goes the credit of defusing the idiot Rusk (??) Expedition immediately prior to Santa Anna's invasion, that being that force of some 200 Texian and American freebooters that had stripped the Alamo of its supplies to mount an attack on Matamoras, while flying an "1824" flag on behalf of the Mexican Federalist faction.

Houston did convince many men to leave that expedition, if only to preserve some semblance of a Texian army to command, even though many of these same men were later snapped up with Fannin by Urrea. Those who did continue on towards Mexico ran head on into Urrea coming north and were quickly killed, captured or dispersed.

Houston was widely condemned for waffling while the Alamo was under siege, choosing that time to go of and negotiate with the Cherokees. A little unfair I think, I dunno that Houston had ever seen the Alamo, or much of Texas for that matter, and he was far too cagey a politician to put all his eggs in that particular basket.

Hindsight is 20/20, and events were just sprung on people at the time, but the best guess seems to be that Houston's original fallback plan was to retreat ahead of Santa Anna clear to Nacodoches. Houston's mentor Andrew Jackson had the very able General Edmund P. Gaines waiting just across the Sabine with a considerable force, with orders to "intervene if necessary" to preserve the integrity of the US border.

And just as an aside, IIRC Santa Anna merely ordered his troops out of Texas while in Houston's captivity on the field of battle, his formal recognition of Texas independence didn't happen until 1837, IIRC AFTER he had already been to Washington and conferred with President Monroe (???).

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing that amazes me is how small the Alamo is. Much smaller than it seems on TV Movies.

You must be aware that the front of the Mission Church actually faced INTO the compound, almost all of the present walled-in grounds lying OUTSIDE the original defended compound. Seems like after the Fall of the Alamo, neither side wanted to ever have to take it back again. The walls being torn down by both Mexican and Texians in their turn so that, more than the other four missions, the original compound quickly disappeared.

The original west wall foundations now lie under a row of late 19th Century buidlings across the street, and the location of the cannon emplacement where Travis fell on the north wall now lies under the tall Post Office building. There have been recent proposals to restore the original Alamo grounds, but purchasing and demolishing these buildings would cost many millions.

On the south wall, the wooden stockade defended by Crockett and his Tennesseans could be restored, along with the original gateway and the nearby rooms where Bowie died, the thing is though, the present Alamo facade itself (not original) has become such a recognised image, its hard to know the public would support such a recommendation.

Also, hate to say it, but the standards for UN recognition as a historic landmark preclude extensive replication or rebuilding of the structures in question.

Yes that was brought up at a public meeting hosted by the mayor.

Anyhow, to get some idea of the size of the original Alamo compound go see Missions San Jose, San Juan or Espada, all of which are in a far better state of preservation than the Alamo and all of which figure prominently in thhe events of those times.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birdy, I read the book you reco'ed some years back about the Alamo, particularly, Travis, Crockett, and Bowie. It was dry in parts and a big volume, but I really enjoyed getting the view of their normal lives that led up to their participation in the Alamo.

that Bowie, by those accounts was a scammer!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mr.Crockett did a lot more than die at the Alamo, and had a huge influence on the attitude of Texans until this day.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bowie was comfortable in the company of the most dangerous and lawless men of his era. He had killed rough men in hand to hand combat, and likely would have again had he lived.

Likely he never saw a classic "Bowie" knife though, the ones his brother Rezin was giving out around that time (Jim got his original one from Rezin) was pretty much a big, straight-backed, single-edged butcher knife.

In terms of perspective, few recall the Mexican point of view: The majority of the Texian residents like Bowie and Austin, Spanish citizens all, were originally fighting as Mexican citizens for the restoration 1824 constitution.

Independence had not yet been declared by the beginning of the Alamo siege and neither side would hear of it before the fall.

Still, by the time of the siege the majority of people in arms against Santa Anna, including inside the Alamo, were American citizens or other foreign nationals who had actually been IN Texas for less than six months, sometimes much less. A description that certainly applied to Crockett and his Tennesseans.

And yet these recent illegal immigrants were fighting to remove about 20% of Mexico from Mexico to form an independent state. Hence the term "pirates" applied to these men by Santa Anna, and their summary executions as such.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing to recall about Davy Crockett is that he had voted his conscience AGAINST Indian Removal, despite the wishes of Andy Jackson and the majority of his constituents.

In that important career-defining event he definitely weren't aligned with the majority of Texians.

Thomas Lindley in his exhaustively researched "Alamo Traces" cites evidence that Crockett actually left the Alamo during the siege to recruit and guide in new volunteers, this even though he knew the odds against them. Crockett was definitely one of the good guys of his era.

For general interest Lindley is officially a De La Pena skeptic but IMHO Crisp convincingly refuted all of Lindley's arguments; citing De La Pena's known letter entirely written by someone else, the fact that the earlier translations of the De La Pena diary that Lindley used were simply incorrect, and the fact that the diary was not published in the time frame originally believed.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There were a lot of 'volunteer's' from Tennessee who went to Texas and fought and died for Texas...Davy Crockett and Sam Houston were the one's that were the most noteable..... at this point in Texas history I can think of no other man who did more for Texas than Sam Houston...just my opinion.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
� Leo Tolstoy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,106
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.