Print Thread
Hop To
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am trying to put mounts on a BSA rifle.
I am having trouble identifying the rifle to determine what mounts I should use.

Any questions you have, please ask or if you know the mounts please help

My friend inherited the rifle and has been pulling out his hair. He is trying to use Leopold bases from a model 700, the screw holes match but the scope is not level. He mentioned this over coffee and I suggested we ask on the campfire.

What I do know for sure:
 BSA 30-06 rifle with large ring Mauser action
 BSA insignia on rear sights and on top rear of action
 Matching serial numbers H444(X) on underside of bolt lever & front right side of action
 Not sure exactly what model

All the mount & ring application charts point to Rem700LA bases.
 I bought standard Leupold bases & medium rings, they do fit the mount screw spacings
 Yes, the rear mount screws are on a bit of an angle but not problem with Leupold bases
 I did some custom lapping on the bases, mostly on the rear to fit them to the profile of the action and to get them aligned on the same plane

The problem:
 When mounted, the scope runs uphill relative to the barrel. Again, front & rear mounts are aligned almost perfectly on the same plane.
 The rifle shoots about 12� low at 100 yards with the reticule adjusted (two full turns) to the max upwards
 The rear mount needs to be raised approx 0.060� in order for the scope to bore-sight on target.
 Therefore I need a front base that is 0.060� thinner (not possible in Leupold) or a rear base that is approx 0.060� taller. Tall rings are 0.100 higher than medium rings which is way too much.
 The front of the action is approx 0.015� higher than the rear of the action. (tough to measure with a straight edge and depth caliper)

The questions:
 Exactly what model of BSA 30-06 is this?
 What part number bases will work? Can be Leupold, Weaver,�.whatever, as long as they work.
Thank you

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pics of the rifle might help..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have now posted pics. Is there any particular part of the rifle that would help identify it? Any input is appreciated.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's one of the first production (1949) model D's. Sucks about the bridges (front and rear) having extra holes. However, it's obvious you are not using the factory drilled set of holes for that rear mount. I'd also suggest weaver mounts:
[Linked Image]

This is the best I can do for you. Sorry frown

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Her's a link to another site.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=57483

A man there indicates--post #12-- that it's a "D" model as mentioned and that it is a modified 1917, which is what it looks like.

I'd buy a set of Weaver bases for a 1917 and try them.

Maybe you'll need to shim whichever is the low base if those bases for a 1917 aren't right.

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Weaver #35 and #36 should be right but may require shimming. Sometimes, the re-contouring on these actions is a bit off. GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greydog
Weaver #35 and #36 should be right but may require shimming. Sometimes, the re-contouring on these actions is a bit off. GD

BSA did a great job on sporterizing these rifles. Mine (pictured) didn't require any shims at all and worked perfectly. These aren't your run of the mill bubba sporterized m1917's..

BSA MAGA
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thank you all

My friend just came back from the local supplier with all the suggestions. he is pumped to get this rifle scoped

I will keep you informed of how it goes.

Once again , thank you

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
By the way, I bet you it is a shooter. Mine (pictured above) was a consistent sub moa shooter.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The trouble with M1917 Enfield scope mods is that when the rear sight's protective ears on the receiver bridge are ground off, every different entity that does the grinding does it a bit differently from each other.

If it were my rifle, I'd have the offset/out-of-line hole welded shut & the bridge redrilled with the holes parallel to the bore - then use a two-piece Leupold base set, adjusting either the front or rear base thickness so the scope sits at the correct angle (sic).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rangr44

The trouble with M1917 Enfield scope mods is that when the rear sight's protective ears on the receiver bridge are ground off, every different entity that does the grinding does it a bit differently from each other.

If it were my rifle, I'd have the offset/out-of-line hole welded shut & the bridge redrilled with the holes parallel to the bore - then use a two-piece Leupold base set, adjusting either the front or rear base thickness so the scope sits at the correct angle (sic).

That rifle is factory sporterized and they (BSA: Birmingham small arms) did damn good work. Who knows why some azz hat drilled the extra holes? Couldn't find the proper bases, so decided wtf and drill and tap a different set? That was definitely backyard bubba'd...

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.